Tutorial Colors In a Nice Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but as I was making items on my map, I wanted some special names, as Unique on them. I read this thread (yep, I see this every time I'm making new units!), and saw there was nothing about item colours, and where they should be put.
So I edited, and added them!

Have fun.

@ WarLuvr3393
Added your name as credits at the top of the tutorial, happy? Maybe a link to your thread? :p

-- Bump-a-lot --
Need to update the first thread with more pictures, apparently I'm not able to.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Many times when you're doing your own map, you want colors on unit names, in triggers, loading screen etc etc..
So, here I will explain how you get all colors EXACTLY as you want them!
(Credits to WarLuvr3393, sorry for stealing your art of tutorial display, but I've changed it now :D )

-- Remember to reply a comment about what you think, and +rep if you think it's of any use for you! :) --

1. Text displays - An example

In the campaign, and also in custom games, there will be a big text on the left of your screen telling you something.
You might have noticed that in custom games, the whole text will be one or many colors, or just plain white.
In the campaigns though, will they have a 'title' before the text, like this one below:
6.jpg

As you can see, the title is light blue, and the text plain white. Myself, I think this looks much better.

Now, let's get an example. Let's say that we want the following text;
1.jpg

We want the title in orange, and the rest in white.
We have now opened the trigger, and ready to type:

|cffff8c00Notice:|r You may now build Banshees.
Okay, so let's walk through this text.
In the beginning, theres the start tag '|c'. This is the start of the 'color' tag. You WILL need this one.
The first 'ff' Means 'Full'. "Full of what?" you say? In this part of the tag, they decide the transparency of the part, here, the text.
The next 'ff' means 'Full' too. "Full of what now?" You say? Roll down to part two. This part decides how much of the red color you want. 'ff' is also full red.
The third part, 8c, is the green color. also here, 'ff' is full green.
The last part, 00 is the blue color.
Now comes the text that will be orange, then |r. What does that part mean you say? 'Return'.

Now you know, |c is color, ff, tansparency, ff red, 8c green, 00 blue, and |r return.

2. Colors and their letters - A walkthrough

You have already learned that 'F' is Full. But what about the others?
The color codes are written 0-F, zero to f. And the letters between them are listed below:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
Now you might understand it, dont you? I will go through them anyway.
0 is zero. in RRGGBB, and its 000000, it'll turn black. black and ugly. Doing it with full color, FFFFFF it'll turn white.
If you make them the same all the way from black to white, you'll have diffirent gray colors. example; 050505 is very very dark gray, while FEFEFE is very very light.
FF0000 is red, 00FF00 green, and 0000FF blue. And as another example, if you mix red with blue, what will you get? purple of course! FF00FF.
You can mix as much as you want. If you have problems finding the yellow color, it's FFFF00, red mixed with green.

Try mixing some of these in paint or photoshop, and you will learn it perfectly.

3. Objects - Hotkeys at it's best

When editing or making new units, you want to have hotkeys. Fine, Text - Hotkey "A". Now what?
In most maps you will be told the hotkeys for each unit. How? In their names when training them!
But how is this possible? Well, open up the Text - Tooltip - Basic and take a look.
Doing a colored hotkey can be done in diffirent ways, you can make one of the letters in the name be colored, or you make one next to the name.
How?
You have already seen it. As in the first part of this tutorial, you saw that you could make display texts in diffirent colors, so why shouldn't it work with unit names?
Does it work with more than just the tooltip? Yes, actually it does! Try doing it with unit names, and everything else writeable.
Example, example.. Well, here you are: Train |cffffcc00B|ranshee
2.jpg

5.jpg

For special items, such as unique and artifacts, these colours and names are to be placed first in the Text - Description, with a "next" ( |n ) tag in its end. This next tag jumps to next row, for those who didn't know. Yep, another example for you: |cff8b00ffUnique|r|nA Kul Tiras navy commander's shield.
3.jpg

4. Useful colors - already made, and good for usin'

As diffirent titles most often got diffirent colors, I'll now give examples on what's good using.

messages.png

Some special item colours, to save some time finding. Do keep in mind that 'Good' and 'Superior' are not Warcraft 3 original. I took them from World of Warcraft. However, they could be handy in an ORPG.
items.png

To save you time, I will also give you the player colors:
players.png

With this, I hope you best of luck, and paint your maps nicely with beautiful colors!
4.jpg

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Thread moved back so you can do so.

The Graveyard enables post editing. The real problem is the following:

After between 8 months and a year (I think?) after a post has been entered, you cannot edit its content. Only a moderator can.

What you can do is send me the modified tutorial and I'll edit your post.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> What you can do is send me the modified tutorial and I'll edit your post.

I already offered. :p

Though, I think I have an idea to make it editable again. Just give me a minute....

Ha, ha. Well, that didn't really work. Oh, well. It moved it to this page, and it's probably editable now, but I doubt you can edit the one on the first page. Whatever you do, don't delete the post on this page! It might delete the whole thread....

You could make your changes to the one on this page, then we can add it to the first page, though.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Well, I've been too much trouble already..
What if you wreck this thread, and I'll create a new one? I've got the text/code saved, so no problem.

EDIT: I don't think I'm going to edit it again in a while anyway, so I've updated that post a few steps up. At least it got a little better..

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
srry if this is a newb question but...
for the "|c", how do i make this symbol? "|" im shure its not a L because comparing them... the L seems a bit short.. see? "|l" "|L"
so far for my colors, i just copy them from a defult warcraftIII unit's tooltip, but really, how do i make that symbol?
yes... this symbol "|"

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
| holy crap... thats awesome!! Tinki3 your the best!! +rep this will save me tons of time with colors, and yes i can and will paint my map full of colorfull text color!!!
+rep for both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.