Tutorial Colors In a Nice Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Many times when you're doing your own map, you want colors on unit names, in triggers, loading screen etc etc..
So, here I will explain how you get all colors EXACTLY as you want them!
(Credits to WarLuvr3393, sorry for stealing your art of tutorial display, but I've changed it now :D )

-- Remember to reply a comment about what you think, and +rep if you think it's of any use for you! :) --

1. Text displays - An example

In the campaign, and also in custom games, there will be a big text on the left of your screen telling you something.
You might have noticed that in custom games, the whole text will be one or many colors, or just plain white.
In the campaigns though, will they have a 'title' before the text, like this one below:
6.jpg

As you can see, the title is light blue, and the text plain white. Myself, I think this looks much better.

Now, let's get an example. Let's say that we want the following text;
1.jpg

We want the title in orange, and the rest in white.
We have now opened the trigger, and ready to type:

|cffff8c00Notice:|r You may now build Banshees.
Okay, so let's walk through this text.
In the beginning, theres the start tag '|c'. This is the start of the 'color' tag. You WILL need this one.
The first 'ff' Means 'Full'. "Full of what?" you say? In this part of the tag, they decide the transparency of the part, here, the text.
The next 'ff' means 'Full' too. "Full of what now?" You say? Roll down to part two. This part decides how much of the red color you want. 'ff' is also full red.
The third part, 8c, is the green color. also here, 'ff' is full green.
The last part, 00 is the blue color.
Now comes the text that will be orange, then |r. What does that part mean you say? 'Return'.

Now you know, |c is color, ff, tansparency, ff red, 8c green, 00 blue, and |r return.

2. Colors and their letters - A walkthrough

You have already learned that 'F' is Full. But what about the others?
The color codes are written 0-F, zero to f. And the letters between them are listed below:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
Now you might understand it, dont you? I will go through them anyway.
0 is zero. in RRGGBB, and its 000000, it'll turn black. black and ugly. Doing it with full color, FFFFFF it'll turn white.
If you make them the same all the way from black to white, you'll have diffirent gray colors. example; 050505 is very very dark gray, while FEFEFE is very very light.
FF0000 is red, 00FF00 green, and 0000FF blue. And as another example, if you mix red with blue, what will you get? purple of course! FF00FF.
You can mix as much as you want. If you have problems finding the yellow color, it's FFFF00, red mixed with green.

Try mixing some of these in paint or photoshop, and you will learn it perfectly.

3. Objects - Hotkeys at it's best

When editing or making new units, you want to have hotkeys. Fine, Text - Hotkey "A". Now what?
In most maps you will be told the hotkeys for each unit. How? In their names when training them!
But how is this possible? Well, open up the Text - Tooltip - Basic and take a look.
Doing a colored hotkey can be done in diffirent ways, you can make one of the letters in the name be colored, or you make one next to the name.
How?
You have already seen it. As in the first part of this tutorial, you saw that you could make display texts in diffirent colors, so why shouldn't it work with unit names?
Does it work with more than just the tooltip? Yes, actually it does! Try doing it with unit names, and everything else writeable.
Example, example.. Well, here you are: Train |cffffcc00B|ranshee
2.jpg

5.jpg

For special items, such as unique and artifacts, these colours and names are to be placed first in the Text - Description, with a "next" ( |n ) tag in its end. This next tag jumps to next row, for those who didn't know. Yep, another example for you: |cff8b00ffUnique|r|nA Kul Tiras navy commander's shield.
3.jpg

4. Useful colors - already made, and good for usin'

As diffirent titles most often got diffirent colors, I'll now give examples on what's good using.

messages.png

Some special item colours, to save some time finding. Do keep in mind that 'Good' and 'Superior' are not Warcraft 3 original. I took them from World of Warcraft. However, they could be handy in an ORPG.
items.png

To save you time, I will also give you the player colors:
players.png

With this, I hope you best of luck, and paint your maps nicely with beautiful colors!
4.jpg

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Before you tell me, yes there ARE a tutorial with colors. But I saw so much stuffs in it which.. wasn't real good.

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Actually F doesn't mean anything. Its just part of the hexadecimal numbering system.
like: A=10, B=11... F(hex)=15(dec)

C

Chevron8

very good

a nice and simple guide, maby could you add what the colors actully look like?
ex: Player 1, red - #ff0202

good job

Dimaspy

Reaction score
martix said:
Actually F doesn't mean anything. Its just part of the hexadecimal numbering system.
like: A=10, B=11... F(hex)=15(dec)

I am just making it easier to understand, F is full, 0 is nothing.

WarLuvr3393

Hmmm...too many things to play (WoW, COD4, WC3)
Reaction score
Lawl, he copied my post name type "[Tutorial]" and he copied my colors. But whatever lol, pretty good tutorial, I'll rep ya, just try to be more creative before you copy my whole tutorial style. (JK)

A new tag map with Taurens as the taggers! Same gameplay ideas, not the same map as Sheep Tag. Runners have to build a base to survive against the Taurens and must last 30 minutes to win. Taurens must pulverize all the Runners within 30 minutes to win. Download Tauren Tag here. Want to learn how to make a tag map? Go to my Tutorial to learn how!

WarLuvr3393

Hmmm...too many things to play (WoW, COD4, WC3)
Reaction score
No, what I meant is, if you look at the colors of his sections, it's orange, bold, size 4. If you look at my tutorial, it's the same exact thing. But my tutorial is older, meaning he got it from me. Also, if you look at the name of my tutorial, it's "[Tutorial] Making A Tag." His is "[Tutorial] etc..." He clearly looked upon my tutorial and copied it. I'm not saying this is bad in any way but I mean like he jacked my style lol. It had nothing to do with an arrangement of colors. Btw, all the tutorials don't have to have bold, size four, orange titles, they can be whatever you want, just to let you know. :eek:

A new tag map with Taurens as the taggers! Same gameplay ideas, not the same map as Sheep Tag. Runners have to build a base to survive against the Taurens and must last 30 minutes to win. Taurens must pulverize all the Runners within 30 minutes to win. Download Tauren Tag here. Want to learn how to make a tag map? Go to my Tutorial to learn how!

M

Masterfrog

I wasn't specifically talking to you. I was just saying how needless (in general) it is to give examples of a few colors when you can link to a site such as that instead :)

Dimaspy

Reaction score
WarLuvr3393 said:
Lawl, he copied my post name type "[Tutorial]" and he copied my colors. But whatever lol, pretty good tutorial, I'll rep ya, just try to be more creative before you copy my whole tutorial style. (JK)
But it looked so nice! :D
I'll be more creative next time then :p

Read your tutorial, it was great. +rep :shades:

lllidan

Reaction score
FF doesn't stand for full, it's just colors uses hexadecimal (base 16) numbering.

since in number bases you can't use 2 numbers to represent one place they did it liek this:

0 - 0
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3
4 - 4
5 - 5
6 - 6
7 - 7
8 - 8
9 - 9
A - 10 < But now since you can't use two characters in one place, you need soemthing to represent '10' so we used A, a recognizable character.
B - 11
C - 12
D - 13
E - 14
F - 15

SO in Hexadecimal it's base 16 so it's liek this:

16^3 || 16^2 || 16^1 || 16^0
-------------------------------
__0______0_______F______F

So this means it's (F * 16^0) + (F * 16^1)
Also translated as (15 * 1) + (15 * 16) = 255, the full amount of coloring.

Don't make a tutorial if you think F stands for full, lol. :)

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Lol, I told him that already... He probably knows it anyway, just speaks figuratively.

stavious

Reaction score
Wow Illidan thanx for clearing all of that up on your last post. Dimaspy maybe you should add this to the tutorial; just so it would be more 'complete' ;) .

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Chevron8 said:
a nice and simple guide, maby could you add what the colors actully look like?
ex: Player 1, red - #ff0202

good job

I've done that now, though it's not exactly those colors I want.. But it's almost the same :)

W

warcraftdude

Dimaspy said:
But it looked so nice! :D
I'll be more creative next time then :p

Read your tutorial, it was great. +rep :shades:

sweet tutorail d00d,this red guy cant get to the green guy lol :banghead: :nuts:

S

ShadowShamen

heya

hey can any 1 here help me with customizeing hero colours and the way they look if u can culd u plz contact me at [email protected]:) i would realiy aprichiate your thoughts and help

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.