Completely Replacing In-game Systems?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to mention ActionScript and C++
Are you high? C++ is low level, Actionscript is high level. C++ interacts with your computer, Actionscript takes place in your browser. They're syntax-es (the hell is the plural?) are quite different. One is a programming language, the other is a scripting language. Are you thinking of 'Java'?

Or just use WC3 and don't replace in-game systems. Re-creating them would be for other games.
This. Replacing in-game systems are stupid. Either use Reinventing the Craft or don't bother.

Ashlebede

Reaction score
Are you high? C++ is low level, Actionscript is high level.

That's basically what I wrote before an edit.

Are you thinking of 'Java'?

Nope, JavaScript. Let's compare two codes...

Code:
//JavaScript
var myObject = new Object();
var pi=Math.PI;
var rootOf2 = Math.sqrt(2);

function foo(param){
    if(param<0){/*parameter is smaller than zero*/}
    return param*2;
}

Code:
//ActionScript
var myObject:Object = new Object();
var pi:Number = Math.PI;
var rootOf2:Number = Math.sqrt(2);

function foo(param:Number):Number{
    if(param<0){/*parameter is smaller than zero*/}
    return param*2;
}

They're the very same for scripts this simple. Even the [ljass]Math[/ljass] object is pretty much the same in both. The only difference in this example is that there are (optional, yet recommended) variable types in AS. They could've been both the exact same, a copy/paste could've done the job.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, I suppose my post didn't get the point across. Here's an analogy.

C++ is to Actionscript as a golden treasure is to dog shit. That is to say, they have nothing in common.

You still seem to show a lack of understanding of my posts. I am asking you if you are thinking of Java, not Actionscript.

Ashlebede

Reaction score

I am thinking of ActionScript. As far as I know, there is no Java in Flash.

This whole thing is a bit off-topic, anyways. We have different ways of seeing things; you seem to know more programming languages than me, obviously. What I find are similarities between C++ and AS seem to you like nothing in common. To me, there are many things in common, compared to Lua, Visual Basic...

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
ActionScript is a dialect of ECMAScript, which JavaScript (and JScript) is dialect of as well.
As for using it in Game Development, again, I'm going to college for Game Development (or Web Development, but that doesn't matter) using C++ / C. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm probably going next summer, the more experience I have with C++ (as well as game development in C++), the better, regardless of whether I'd learn it at the school.

And again, I honestly don't care about whether it's a good idea, or if I should just make a game in C++ (I'm planning on it, but not at this moment), or should I use Reinventing the Craft (which I think was abandoned by the devs with the source code unreleased). All I care about concerning this topic is the best possible implementation of a system which replicates and replaces several internal Warcraft III systems, as well as linking them to custom systems to improve functionality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.