Computer keeps rebooting, and SP2

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
1. How do I get rid of the Windows Security Center icon, lower right corner, when using SP2?

2. My buddies computer reboots just before the login screen. It shows the windows logo, turns black, then reboots. It does it even in safe mode as well.

I took the HD out, and put it in another pc, still does it. So I piggy backed it into mine, ran norton and adaware 6 on it. Cleaned it off nice, checked anything in autoexec, win.ini, and any other files that can load upon boot.

It still does it. Normal or safe mode. Reboots till infinity. Can sit there for hours and keep rebooting itself. I'm short of reinstalling the OS.

Any ideas?

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
To get rid of the icon, correct the problems it is warning you about. Get a virus scanner, firewall and turn on automatic updates (or click on it and tell it you are using another virus scanner and firewall that it can't auto-detect and it will be ok.)

Or go in to Control Panel ---> Security Center and click the thing on the left that says "Change the way security center alerts me"

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SD_Ryoko
Ya well I'm using the routers firewall so, I cannot correct the issue.

I'll try the other route.

You can still turn the XP firewall on :) I've been running it along with the router and it causes no conflicts. "Defense in depth" is the security buzzword

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
I often have no clue what I am talking about, but could the rebooting problem be due to a f*cked up bios? If you have tried both normal and safe mode booting, my gut would say that software isn't the problem here.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Rappie-

Would you have to double configure port forwarding? Or just the front firewall, which for me is the router.

(sigh, see several other threads)
Aight, yes, I'm short of deleting the whole writeup, let the others 'handle 'it.

With SP2, Can I just ADD Warcraft III, under add programs, and it will open all ports for that program, and not have to add individual ports?

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes you would have to configure it twice (once on the router and once on the software firewall.) SP2 does allow to make exceptions for entire programs so you shouldn't need to specify exact ports but I'll admit I haven't tinkered with it. War3 works fine for me with both a router and the SP2 firewall but I don't host custom games (I do vaguely remember having problems doing that, also with trying to initiate an arranged teams game.)

That said, is the SP2 firewall really necessary? Since it only cares about inbound traffic, which the router is probably filtering anyway, it won't be doing much. However say a friend comes over and plugs his infected laptop into your router. Think back to the Blaster worm-- if you didn't have that specific patch from MS, your system would be hit too.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the changes in SP2, but not that much.

I do like the security center, because it stresses what I tell people all the time. Granted they don't listen often.

I like the new pop up blocker, and how you can click to allow sites. Its nice not to have a third party program to do that.

However, I went to a site the other day, and recieved two new search bars, three programs installed on my program list, and an executable adware that added itself to the registry, and runs whenever you boot.

Thumbs down to microsoft; I guess you didn't fix everything. From what I read in the articles, this stuff wasn't supposed to happen anymore.

I keep high security on my internet settings, and block 100% cookies in privacy, and still get this crap automatically installed on my pc.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I've never seen a site that can automatically do that to you unless you manually accept it.... even before SP2.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Unless the site is in your local/Intranet 'zone' in IE, it would need to prompt you with the standard IE security warning (or the 'gold information bar' with XP SP2)

Unless of course it is a particular exploit that hasn't yet been addressed...

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
what if the IE security level is set to low? wouldn't that allow all sorts of nasties into your computer?

I'm with rap, I've never had something that crazy happen to me before.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
OKAY,

There was several disbeliefs here, but you cant deny the evidence :) This is the fourth day I've cleaned this out, and there is nothing in the registry, the add remove programs, or startup doing it. But it KEEPS comming. All my pop-up and prompt stuff is set okay.

I havn't been anywhere but here, ebay, and my team site ;(

When I reboot, it will be back.

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I have never had any of these problems happen to me. All though i have had to fix these problems on my unintelligent friend's computers. As I find myself helping my friends spyware problem, I realize that my retarted friends never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever(you get the point)update their computer. I find myself in the add/remove programs window not seeing a single update installed. The plain and simple fact is, if you dont keep your computer updated crap like that will happen to you.

Steps I have Used to never have Spyware Problems
(I never have either)
-Set windows UPDATE to automatically update itself at 4 a.m every morning
-I UPDATE adaware and scan my pc once or twice a week
-I download and use google toolbar
-I don't surf the internet blindly

Using the above I have never had any problems with spyware or pop-ups, period.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.