Computer won't boot

WayTooShort

Reaction score
I just finished building my computer, and now the damn motherboard won't boot. When I turn on the PSU the red light on start button starts burning, but when I press it nothing happens.

Could this be PSU's fault? I have some fans directly connected to it, but they will never run. Should they?

WayTooShort

Reaction score
I just tested with another PSU that should work, and I still have same problem. Now it's either CPU or motherboard. Motherboard does absolutely nothing, and when I turn PSU on a little chip between two PCI-e slots gets really hot. Is it likely that my motherboard is the source of the problem?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
when you connect the PSU to the motherboard and power it on, does the motherboard's "ready" light power on? does the CPU have/need an extra power adapter (4 or 8 pin?) are there any beeps? have you tried a single stick of ram in all the ram slots? (making sure that it's in all the way)

WayTooShort

Reaction score
I have both the 24-pin ATX cable and the 8-pin thing for CPU plugged in, the motherboard manual said that it won't boot unless both of them are connected. I have tried two different RAMs in all slots, but I doubt that is the problem since it won't even beep.

When the PSU is switched on, the light on motherboard's power and reset switch turns on. However, pressing either of them or the case power button causes nothing to happen.

Also whenever PSU is switched on, a small transistor (mosfet I think) gets burning hot. Testing with voltmeter, that mosfet causes the 5 volt purple (sb) cable on the 24-pin ATX cable to reduce to about 4 volts, meaning that it's using 1 volt to something when the motherboard isn't even turned on. Is that normal?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
@ your above post - I would ask the motherboard manufacturer - they should know if that is normal or not, I don't know (I don't even know what model motherboard you have..)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Is it plugged in?!

But nah, the first thing I would check is the placement of the power/reset button switches. I've done that before. If that doesn't fix it or do anything, contact your motherboard manufacturer, chances are you got a bunk mobo' :(

WayTooShort

Reaction score
I have asus P5Q-E, though that probably doesn't tell you anything. The heating mosfet is the one between two PCI-e ports.

Anyways, is there no reliable way of checking whether it is CPU or motherboard that is failing?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Chances are if it's the CPU, it would give some beep code. Motherboard, maybe not, as it might not get far enough to do that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.