[Contest] Official Christmas Spell Contest

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... why exactly do you say this?:
DrinkSlurm said:
Currently coded in GUI and is MPI only. I hope to make it in JASS and make it MUI by the deadline.
You coded the spell first... in GUI... and made the effort to make it MPI...? And now you're converting it to JASS and undoing all your MPI stuff to make it MUI?

That makes no sense whatsoever. Really. I'm not trying to be an ass and insinuate anything overly offensive, but did you make the spell before this contest? Because if you did, that's not allowed.

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... why exactly do you say this?:

You coded the spell first... in GUI... and made the effort to make it MPI...? And now you're converting it to JASS and undoing all your MPI stuff to make it MUI?

That makes no sense whatsoever. Really. I'm not trying to be an ass and insinuate anything overly offensive, but did you make the spell before this contest? Because if you did, that's not allowed.

1. Couple of days before announcement of this contest, I thought about the idea of making a spell based on the shape of a sine wave.

2. December 12th, 2007: emjlr3 announces this contest.

3. After announcement, I start thinking about ideas that fit the Ice theme, and eventually combine my sine wave idea and Ice theme to form the Cool Whip idea.

4. (At this point, I am basically a 100% GUI user, except for the occassional custom script to fix leaks). Eventually, I am able to code my Cool Whip spell in GUI, but only manage to make it MPI at best.

5. December 14th, 2007: I make a post and decide to enter this contest.

6. Morning of December 16th, 2007: I make a post in JASS Help forum intending to start learning JASS.

7. Afternoon of December 16th, 2007: I post my Cool Whip idea and screenshot. I state that I hope to learn JASS and make my spell MUI before the deadline of this contest.

I hope that explains everything. I don't think this would be against the rules, would it? The only thing I did beforehand was think about the shape of the spell--the sine wave.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
Cool. Yeah.
I assumed you were saying that you knew both GUI and JASS and were doing something stupid like what I thought you were :p

I really do like your idea, though. And after my wonderfully brilliant but already twice-used spell idea, I haven't any ideas. Blargh.

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
Now there is a damn cool idea I wish I'd thought of...
Wow, he has us all beat on uniqueness nice looking spell dude.
I really do like your idea, though.

Thanks for that, by the way. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I do pride myself on trying to come up with unique ideas for my spell submissions and contest entries.

Incidentally, earlier tonight, I thought of another Ice theme idea that I feel is pretty unique. I don't know if it'd be OK to share it though. Pending emjlr3's approval, first-come-first-served for whoever needs an idea! ...maybe.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
If you don't care about others using your ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing them. :D

Nothing in the rules says you can't get ideas from elsewhere other than your own brain....

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
7. Afternoon of December 16th, 2007: I post my Cool Whip idea and screenshot. I state that I hope to learn JASS and make my spell MUI before the deadline of this contest.
i suggest that you stay on the GUI since you would lose more points making a bad JASS trigger than having a good GUI one (i expirienced this one already...)

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
If you don't care about others using your ideas, I wouldn't mind hearing them. :D

Nothing in the rules says you can't get ideas from elsewhere other than your own brain....

that could very well be considered help

Drunken_God

Hopes to get back into Mapmaking with SC2 :)
Reaction score
My spell is ready now:

Ice (sorry had no idea how to name the spell :p)
Creates an Ice thing that circles around the caster dealing damage and freezing enemys.
sc1rx6.jpg

sc2sw5.jpg

Download:

maybe remove the dummy units after creating them?
because i got instantly 50 food used

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Are we allowed to post our intended spell idea here before uploading the spell map? I have a fun spell in mind (first one failed, couldn't find a way to get level of a buff ^^) but if someone has already made something similar (and potentially better), it wouldn't really increase my chances of doing well in the contest, or people viewing my spell over the other one.

Naminator

Coming Back To Life
Reaction score
Well here's my spell. It's all made in GUI. Hope you like it. In game look much better with reborn.

Frozen Expansion:
BTNBreathOfFrost.gif

A frozen ice fall from the sky, when the ice reach the ground it will expand into another frozen ices. Every unit in contact with ice, will get nova damage. Has a chance for every ice to create another frozen ices.

Screenshot:
In game see the reborn. You will understand.
frozenexpansionic1.jpg

If the chances are on your side..
frozenexpansionrebornja2.jpg

Attachments

• Christmas-Spell-Contest-Naminator.w3x
    32.3 KB · Views: 250

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Are we allowed to post our intended spell idea here before uploading the spell map?

Not only allowed, but encouraged!

WIPs are allowed and encouraged.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Ah, ty for that Rheias ^^ Here's my intended spell (I've only just started and it could be a day or two before I have it done)

Freezing Orbs (I'm not making it MUI for now)

The hero conjures 3 freezing orbs of ice to circle around him. At any time, he can force all his power into one orb, to empower it and grant certain effects

Orb 1: While this orb's ability is channelled, it will launch chilling bolts of ice skywards, to rain down on the target area, dealing minor damage per hit, but the sheer numbers of shards will inevitably decimate the area.

Orb 2: While this orb's ability is channelled, all units around the caster will be encased in a magical shield of ice, which is flexible enough to allow movement, but rigid enough to block some damage. Adds 3x Level armor bonus

Orb 3: Every (3.5 - (0.5x Ability Level)) seconds, this orb will launch a bolt of ice at a random enemy unit,damaging it and encasing it in ice temporarily.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
emjlr3 said:
that could very well be considered help
"Help" it may be, but I would not consider that enough "help" to warrant any action against it. The kind of help that should not happen is the "guys can you make me the triggers for this" kind of help.

So... did all the guys who had the same idea as me switch to different ideas? Because if they did, I'm going to code my spell.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Christmas theme would of been cooler , reindeer falls from sky and kills everything on the map xD

jk

My spells almost done , about teh GUI MUI system again , can I just make so that every variable uses [Custom Value of [ BlahBLah Unit]] this way you stick in a GUI MUI system and it will be MUI or does this not count?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.