Creating my dummy on other units..

Rushhour

Reaction score
I got a problem and I nothing really seems to work.
My unit doesn't have a normal attack with a missle but a lightning strike comes up from the sky. This lightning strike is a dummy unit with locust, flying, no movement, no collision, no attack and the doodad- lightning strike model.

My problem: The dummy isn't created on the same position but a little distance offset. Only sometimes it looks correctly (but the debug msg still shows up)

The creation looks like this:
JASS:
set dummy=CreateUnit(ThePlayer,LIGHTNING_STRIKE_DUMMY_ID,0.,0.,0.)
call SetUnitPathing(dummy,false)
call SetUnitX(dummy,GetUnitX(trig))
call SetUnitY(dummy,GetUnitY(trig))
call UnitApplyTimedLife(dummy,'BTLF',1.)
set dummy=null
if GetUnitX(trig) != GetUnitX(dummy) or GetUnitY(trig) != GetUnitY(dummy) then
    call BJDebugMsg("wrong position")
endif //this message is displayed

This is all I could think of to really make it go to the position it is supposed to go. The problem isn't that the target is moving , I wouldn't care about this small distance. The target has normal collision, but this shouldn't be the problem, as locust units should be able to be everywhere...
Any ideas?

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
How fast is your timer speed? If you have set unit x/y, you should not use "setunitpathing" as those calls ignore pathing anyway. GetUnitX/Y (or almost any "get" that returns a coordinate) will not always return the exact same value, so sometimes you'll see that error message even if their positions are identical.

Also, if the unit is a flyer, you'll want to add:

JASS:

if not IsUnitType(trig,UNIT_TYPE_GROUND) then
    call UnitAddAbility(dummy,'Amrf')
    call UnitRemoveAbility(dummy,'Amrf')
    call SetUnitFlyHeight(dummy,GetUnitFlyHeight(trig))
endif

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
set dummy=null
if GetUnitX(trig) != GetUnitX(dummy) or GetUnitY(trig) != GetUnitY(dummy) then
Lol? Can't get position after nulling a variable...

BTW, the effect _should_ be appearing at (0, 0) if your dummy has no movement; the model for units with 0 movement does not appear to move with the unit when using SetUnitX/Y. Give it a movement speed of 1 and it should work properly. Or, since it's flying, just create it at the position you want and it should appear exactly there - no need for SetUnitX/Y to exactly position a flying unit.

One last FYI: the "lightning strike" doodad model is slightly offset from its own center. :p

Rushhour

Reaction score
Oh yeah, about the nulling:
It is correct inside my trigger but I copy pasted it in here afterwards and just added it after the code.^^

I did try to create the unit right on the position it is supposed to be, but this also led to irregular appearance of the lightning-strike...
The creating at 0.,0. , removing pathing and then moving by SetUnitX/Y only were the last things I could think of to make sure the dummy isn't offset because of any collision problems^^

Hm, I wouldn't care about a small distance between the unit and the strike.
Edit: I looked at the model.. and there is no variation at all in its animations and positions. At least none that would make such big effects.

And do you mean that:
JASS:

call SetUnitPosition(u,x,y)
if GetUnitX(u) == x and GetUnitY(u) == y then
     call BJDebugMsg("returns true")
endif

//or 
call SetUnitX(u,x)
call SetUnitY(u,y)
if GetUnitX(u) == x and GetUnitY(u) == y then
     call BJDebugMsg("returns true")
endif

not always return true when called immediatly afterwards?

Edit2: Well the death animation (some dust effect) is played in the correct position, but the strike only only in some cases. I'm getting mad about this -.-

Final Edit: Don't ask me why, but the problem of the torn apart effect ("death" animation was in correct place, "stand" animation only sometimes) was because the dummy unit had "flying" movement type (but a fly height of 0. ) Weird...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.