*Crossbowmen*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waaaaagh

I lost all my rep and my title being a jerk
Reaction score
I'm interested in how you plan on coding this. Every crossbolt will be a different spell? Or will you make some sort of engine?

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, too :).

What I'm going to do, is in early map versions (or atm), there will be 13
different arrow "projectiles", with 12 available to be bought at a shop.
Arrow projectiles don't cost any mana, but won't be as powerful as normal hero abilities:

The heroes will also have a spellbook which will have another 12 special abilities
that can be learnt, and cost mana to be used. These abilities won't be arrow
projectiles, but they'll be other things like Throw Grendade, Teleport, Wall of Lava, etc, etc...

Keep in mind that a hero can only hold a maximum of 7 different arrow
projectiles at one time, though, for obvious reasons, I've created a Hotkey-changing
system that'll allow players to choose what hotkey their different arrows have
to prevent hotkey-clashes in the map.

As for the coding, I'm simply going to make different library templates for
each arrow projectile, and just call whatever function I need for the
appropriate projectile. It sounds simple, but I've got alot of work ahead of me.

As for the hero abilities, they will all have different code, because they aren't similar
like the arrow projectiles are.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
I'd make a function for arrow movement where you enter the raw code as an argument, that way, the simple "moving from caster to point" or "moving from point to another point" for the arrow is one function which adapts the projectile to the unit code you gave as an argument.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> when will u post a beta map?

Beta? BETA!!?!
Early test versions will be mere "alphas", with, of course,
more than half the things I intend to put into the map, missing :).

> most of the specal bolts listed seem pretty hard to make

"Most" will be not be included in the map.
If you've read the previous page (I think), you'll find that I
intend to only include 13 different arrow projectiles, with
12 available to be purchased from a nearby shop.

The heroes/crossbowmen will also have another 12 special
attacks that can be learnt. These attacks aren't arrow projectiles,
cost mana, unlike the arrows, and will mostly be more powerful than arrows.

I will be adding lots more arrow projectiles in future versions,
but, for now, and for early versions, 13 will do just fine.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
some more ideas

Pulse Bolt
A magical bolt imbued with some magical-ness (great story isnt it :p)

As this bolt travels, it will emit shockwaves every X seconds (not tauren shockwave, something like the command aura effect) which will push units back 200 distance dealing Y damage. If the bolt hits a unit, it will become lodged in the unit, but the effect will be maintained centred on the unit for Z more seconds.

Shock Bolt
Another magical bolt imbued with some different magical-ness.

When this bolt is launched, it will travel through the ground with enormous force, tearing the ground apart. Any unit that comes near the arrow will be launched into the air (distance/height based on proximity to arrow, closer dist = more height, less dist and vice versa). When the unit lands, it will take damage and be temporarily dazed from the impact

H

HamsterBoo

if you need help, just post the spell you want to be made and let us pm you with ways to make it (joint effort, people who are coming up with these ideas can make the triggering themselves if they really care).

My idea: HamsterBoo arrow (I always suggest something like this)
Story: Minsc regrets that he cannot be here to fight, but he sends his prized possession. Boo the Miniature Giant Space Hamster will fight to the death to protect the crossbowmen. Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES!
Tooltip: Who would come up with this idea! A hamster holding onto a crossbow bolt is just madness! The hamster seems to insist that he is a miniature giant space hamster though, so maybe you should trust it.
Effects: When fired, the bolt affects the unit it hits with X damage and blinds the unit for 1 second (he runs back to start). The effect then jumps onto a nearby enemy doing the same thing. When there is not an enemy in range, the effect ends. There cannot be two effects going at once (bugs up, but sorts itself out kinda). A unit cannot be jumped on twice unless the effect has ended and a new one is cast.

Triggering:
E: A unit finishes casting a spell
C: spell is equal to HamsterBoo
A: Deal X damage to target
Order target to move to center of region (whatever start region is)
Set target to HBeffect
Create unitgroup HBunits
Add target to unit group HBunits
Wait 1 second
order HBeffect to move to center of region (whatever the end region is)
Start trigger HamsterBoo2

Trigger HamsterBoo2:
E: (do you need 1?)
C: none
A: If/then/else
-Conditions
---There is a unit within X of HB effect belonging to (enemy) who is not in unit group HBunits
-Then Actions
---pick unit closest to unit HBeffect not in group HBunits
---set picked unit to unit HBeffect
---deal X damage to unit HBeffect
---order unit HBeffect to move to center of region (whatever the start region is)
---add unit HBeffect to unit group HBunits
---wait 1 second
---Order unit HBeffect to move to center of region (whatever the end region is)
---start trigger HamsterBoo2
-Else Actions
---Set variable HBeffect to none
---destroy group HBunits

In this, the HBeffect unit is the unit currently affected by the hamster, the HBunits is a group of the units that have been affected by the hamster, the first trigger starts the ability with the first unit, the second trigger continues and ends it.
This isnt even close to being in WE format, and if you want that I cant get it until monday or tuesday because I wont have WE until then.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
More bolt ideas (last ideas for the time being)
Catalyst Bolt (somewhat inspired by C&C3's Catalyst Missile)

A magical bolt imbued with lightning powers
When this bolt hits a target, it blasts all nearby enemies with a bolt of lightning, but for every 2 units (including target unit) within the bolt's blast radius, the lightning bolt will bounce an additional time. Starts at 2/3 bounces. Lightning bolt's damage is fairly low, considering that even 4 enemies could result in a nice bit of lightning chaos (4 or 5 bounces to each lightning bolt, 1 lightning bolt per unit ^^)

Airburst Bolt (Inspired by a grenade launcher's grenade that I saw on Future Weapons ^^)

No magicalness, just high-tech :p
A small pouch of metal shards is attached to the tip of this bolt. When the bolt comes within 150 (or so) distance of a unit, the pouch will disintegrate, launching the metal shards in a 45 (each side of bolt's angle) degree spread, shreddnig everything and anything in it's path.

FrozenShadow

I am a WolfieeifloW fan.
Reaction score
Apollo's Bolt

The bolt of the Sun God. When fired, it creates a radiant aura that lasts 8 seconds at the targeted point. It slows and deals damage per second to all within 550 AoE of the target point.

Model: Any kind of gold light/ball model.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
The terrain is better, now.
Those are horrible screenshots, just meant to give an idea.
Those black boundaries are gone, now, replaced with crystal-blue water :)
Looks alot better, btw.
Oh, and, the map is one hold atm, I have run into a (big) problem with JASSHelper/New Gen.
I will re-open the thread when I sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.