Tutorial Custom Menu Background

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Custom Menu Background in wc3​
created by FURBY
grammar checked by thewrongvine

Preface:

I was just looking through my folders and stumbled over this unfinished tutorial I once started. So I wanted to finish it and post it here.
This tutorial is about changing or replacing the backround of your main menu in Warcraft III TFT or ROC (doesn't matter, you can change both). Exactly what I mean is the "frozen throne on the background" or "attacked country"(in ROC). We're going to change TFT background.

Required Tools:

WinMPQ

Step 1:

Install and open WinMPQ. Press File and Open [Ctrl + O].

tutorialpic01nq4.jpg

Step 2:

Find the file war3x.mpq in your Warcraft III directory and open it.

tutorialpic02ya1.jpg

Step 3:

Find the file MainMenu3d_exp.mdx in list of files. The exact path is UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. Right click on the file and Rename (we are doing this in possibility that you will want to change the backround back or as a simple backup, is good if you keep the old name, because you will need it in one of the last steps). I added there -ORIGINAL. Exactly to this one: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp-ORIGINAL.mdx.

tutorialpic03dp1.jpg

Step 4:

Here comes the fun part - What background to choose? You are able to add any background from the campaigns of Warcraft III TFT or ROC. Also, you can add the background from ROC to TFT (here you must go to war3.mpq and extract the background from there). I chose "Campaign for Undeads" in TFT (Arthas with frostmourne standing on ground). The paths of Campaign's backgrounds are UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\RACE_exp\RACE_exp.mdx and UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\RACE\RACE.mdx for ROC (war3.mpq). Don't be confused with the many files in the directory, just find one with a .mdx suffix. Mine is UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Undead3D_Exp\Undead3D_Exp.mdx. Extract it to anywhere.

tutorialpic04fi9.jpg

Step 5:

Press MPQ and Add [Ctrl + A]. Find your extracted file, mine is Undead3D_Exp.mdx. And press Open. Now it will ask you what path to the file you want to add. Add there the exact path what we had as normal background: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. And press OK.

tutorialpic05nq4.jpg

Step 6:

Now the file with the name UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdxUndead3D_Exp.mdx will appear. We must change the name of it by removing the part, exactly: Undead3D_Exp.mdx, so the result will be: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. Now simply exit WinMPQ. You can delete your extracted file.

tutorialpic06he9.jpg

Result:

tutorialpicresultzj4.jpg

That's all! Now you can check your new background out. :thup:
Sorry for my poor English. :rolleyes:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A tutorial similar to this has already been posted here. There's more than one actually if I'm not mistaken.

There's also a tool to change the background with no hassle.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A tutorial similar to this has already been posted here. There's more than one actually if I'm not mistaken.

There's also a tool to change the background with no hassle.

I believe the other tutorial was about using the tool to change your background.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the other tutorial was about using the tool to change your background.
I do remember that I discovered that tool from people posting in another tutorial about how to do it manually. Someone posted the tool and said something along the lines of "What's the point doing this if you have this tool".

So I'm certain that there's at least 1 other tutorial and a tool.

Furby

Reaction score
Stop talkin' about similiar threads or tools to change a background.:(

Let's talk about mine one.:thup:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stop talkin' about similiar threads or tools to change a background.:(

Let's talk about mine one.:thup:
They're related.
You posted a tutorial about something very specific; which has been written before.

Furby

Reaction score
What tool you mean? I can't find it.

And please link here that similar threads.;)

Furby

Reaction score
Aha graveyarded, so this is reason why I was not able to find 'em. :D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aha graveyarded, so this is reason why I was not able to find 'em. :D
Took me a while to find them, even with Google and the Search on this forum.

Well, either way. I've proven my point :D

BRUTAL

I'm working
Reaction score
this is pretty cool\
but, im on bnet now and i have a warcraft II tft logo as my icon and i dont have any of my 2 icons or any stats o_O

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this is pretty cool\
but, im on bnet now and i have a warcraft II tft logo as my icon and i dont have any of my 2 icons or any stats o_O
You probably followed this by accident.
That's how I discovered it :p

BRUTAL

I'm working
Reaction score
what o_O
ive never done that
all i did was change the main menu thing to arthas and then i logged on and i had a wc tft icon
and anyone who joined the channel i was in had one too ><
i just changed the menu back to normal thinking that would be a fix, but nope T_T

inaya8

Reaction score
Custom Menu Background in wc3

created by FURBY

grammar checked by thewrongvine

Preface:

I was just looking through my folders and stumbled over this unfinished tutorial I once started. So I wanted to finish it and post it here.
This tutorial is about changing or replacing the backround of your main menu in Warcraft III TFT or ROC (doesn't matter, you can change both). Exactly what I mean is the "frozen throne on the background" or "attacked country"(in ROC). We're going to change TFT background.

Required Tools:

WinMPQ

Step 1:

Install and open WinMPQ. Press File and Open [Ctrl + O].

tutorialpic01nq4.jpg

Step 2:

Find the file war3x.mpq in your Warcraft III directory and open it.

tutorialpic02ya1.jpg

Step 3:

Find the file MainMenu3d_exp.mdx in list of files. The exact path is UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. Right click on the file and Rename (we are doing this in possibility that you will want to change the backround back or as a simple backup, is good if you keep the old name, because you will need it in one of the last steps). I added there -ORIGINAL. Exactly to this one: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp-ORIGINAL.mdx. g

tutorialpic03dp1.jpg

Step 4:

Here comes the fun part - What background to choose? You are able to add any background from the campaigns of Warcraft III TFT or ROC. Also, you can add the background from ROC to TFT (here you must go to war3.mpq and extract the background from there). I chose "Campaign for Undeads" in TFT (Arthas with frostmourne standing on ground). The paths of Campaign's backgrounds are UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\RACE_exp\RACE_exp.mdx and UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\RACE\RACE.mdx for ROC (war3.mpq). Don't be confused with the many files in the directory, just find one with a .mdx suffix. Mine is UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\Undead3D_Exp\Undead3D_Exp.mdx. Extract it to anywhere.

tutorialpic04fi9.jpg

Step 5:

Press MPQ and Add [Ctrl + A]. Find your extracted file, mine is Undead3D_Exp.mdx. And press Open. Now it will ask you what path to the file you want to add. Add there the exact path what we had as normal background: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. And press OK.

tutorialpic05nq4.jpg

Step 6:

Now the file with the name UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdxUndead3D_Exp.mdx will appear. We must change the name of it by removing the part, exactly: Undead3D_Exp.mdx, so the result will be: UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx. Now simply exit WinMPQ. You can delete your extracted file.

tutorialpic06he9.jpg

Result:

tutorialpicresultzj4.jpg

That's all! Now you can check your new background out. :thup:
Sorry for my poor English. :rolleyes:

What is the exact path to the file that you need to rename in order to change the Warcraft III main menu background? I would be very happy if you could let me know, thanks. I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should ask your question over at the Hive. You can always link to this thread as a reference and they will be able to help you there. That is where most of the active Warcraft 3 people are

#1 Warcraft 3 Reforged Modding Community
The Hive Workshop is the largest Warcraft III community since 2004 with over 100k users, centered around map making, modeling, custom games, programming & art.

www.hiveworkshop.com

That is the absolute BEST resource for Warcraft 3 World Editor Help in 2023 and beyond. Everyone that was here is there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.