Report Cyclists! The public thinks you're cool and normal!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
New research shows motorists no longer consider cyclists weirdy beardy Guardian readers – in fact, they envy us

News just in from the world of academia: cycling is no longer considered the preserve of the sort of hippies historically associated with this newspaper. It is even widely thought of as "cool". A professor told me so, and he has the stats to prove it.

Prof Alan Tapp and a team of researchers from the University of the West of England have carried out a big piece of research asking 3,855 people for their opinions on bicycles and the people who ride them.

What makes this survey worth listening to is that the vast majority of those who took part don't actually cycle much, if at all. Of course we think we're hip, but to hear non cyclists (and therefore likely motorists) say so is just not just a novelty but also very encouraging for the future of cycling.

The results make fascinating reading - if you're into that sort of thing, and I know you are. Most respondents consider bike riding as normal (65%) and only 7% reckon cyclists are strange. Amusingly, those who cycle the most are disproportionately likely to think others consider them weird - 24% of those who use their bike at least once a week said they believed most normal people think cyclists were "a bit odd". Which does explain the proliferation of "I'm mad, me" types one occasionally encounters in the bike lane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
24% of those who use their bike at least once a week said they believed most normal people think cyclists were "a bit odd".

What? If I got this straight, this seems to be another pointless research.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
One study doesn't prove anything. Cyclists are still considered abnormal but more importantly a pain in the ass on the road.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Bicycles = awesome.
Cheap, easy to use and good excercise. Perfect for way to get to school.

Why would so many people not like them?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Cheap, easy to use and good excercise. Perfect for way to get to school.
Yeah, that's ok, but when you're trying to navigate busy London traffic and you've got holier-than-thou cyclists cutting across you and with no regard for the rules of the road it gets pretty damn annoying. Especially when it's obvious they are weird beard Guardianistas.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Since when are cyclists abnormal? The only reason I don't normally use bikes is that walking, public transit, and for the long distances cars, cover almost all the different situations.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Cyclists are very common here in LA, and I have to say that drivers are usually patient, but can also be annoying. Cyclists too =]

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
One study doesn't prove anything. Cyclists are still considered abnormal but more importantly a pain in the ass on the road.

x2 - especially when there is a sidewalk that they can use

Since when are cyclists abnormal? The only reason I don't normally use bikes is that walking, public transit, and for the long distances cars, cover almost all the different situations.

well said

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Here in AZ the only cyclists I see are the ones that ride around college campuses. It's too hot to ride anywhere, and everything's too far away. The only things nearby are stores, which makes a car more convenient.

I used to ride a bike to my elementary/high school, so I never really considered people on bikes weird in any way.

esb

Reaction score
The sidewalk is for people, road is for cars and bikes.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
imo cycling is ACTUALLY a good thing.

It's a form of exercise, and most of the people who hate it are actually those to lazy to get off there arse's and do some sort of physical activity.

Because most cyclist are assholes when it comes to following the traffic rules:thdown:

Don't genralise that cyclists are all against the rules, true there are some that are rather bad at following the rules, but most are decent people just trying to get somewhere or enjoy a nice ride.

If you have ever rode a bicycle, you would understand that it's the drivers are actually alot more anoying because they speed so fast and don't give you a chance to cross the road.

As far as i know, cyclist's are allowed to ride in the road, and drivers should go around them and not complain if they have to share the road (Im not saying many do, but there are those who hoot etc.).

If you want to be techniqual, bicycles are better than motorbikes and cars by not using up fuel or damaging the atmosphere in anyway.

I think I'm correct in saying that most accidents are because of car-drivers, so they are far worse.

I agree with this study, but kindof think that more should 'approve' of cyclists. I have total respect for all other cyclists and shame for all those who are missing out on the opportunity to enjoy such a ride.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's a form of exercise, and most of the people who hate it are actually those to lazy to get off there arse's and do some sort of physical activity.

Or just don't like the way cycling takes precedence over driving in some cases. Don't assume that people who don't like cycling are lazy.

Don't genralise that cyclists are all against the rules, true there are some that are rather bad at following the rules, but most are decent people just trying to get somewhere or enjoy a nice ride.

This is true, most people remember the bad cyclists much more often than the good ones.

If you have ever rode a bicycle, you would understand that it's the drivers are actually alot more anoying because they speed so fast and don't give you a chance to cross the road.

Drivers have to stop at red lights and stop signs, the only places that a cyclist should ever cross the street. The only bad times are those where a car is taking a turn and may not immediately see the cyclist (since they are uncommon).

As far as i know, cyclist's are allowed to ride in the road, and drivers should go around them and not complain if they have to share the road (Im not saying many do, but there are those who hoot etc.).

It's ridiculous that a car should have to wait for a bicycle, especially if there is plenty of passing room or riding room on the side. Cars are more efficient at speeds around 55mph than they are at 15mph.

If you want to be techniqual, bicycles are better than motorbikes and cars by not using up fuel or damaging the atmosphere in anyway.

Cars are much better than bikes because they get you places faster, and don't cause confusing when yielding is in question. Two sides of the same coin, both have their pros and cons.

I think I'm correct in saying that most accidents are because of car-drivers, so they are far worse.

Most accidents are because of drivers, because there are more drivers. This is simply a dumb statement. Who knows how many bicycle accidents we'd have if everyone rode on a bicycle in a proportionally smaller space.

I agree with this study, but kindof think that more should 'approve' of cyclists. I have total respect for all other cyclists and shame for all those who are missing out on the opportunity to enjoy such a ride.

I don't enjoy being outside when it's 100+ degrees outside. I prefer an air-conditioned car, and I don't think you should pass judgement on statistical people. There are many reasons to not approve of cyclists, and apathy/laziness is but one of them.

esb

Reaction score
It's stupid to blame bikers for the driver's inability to use their rear mirrors when making turns. Yes I agree, it's a small narrow path at time when being shared with cyclists and a car, but most cyclists stick as much possible to the side so the cars can pass by them. Works just fine and no accidents.

Just as there's bad cyclists there's bad drivers. Equally.

esb

Reaction score
Some people should read their DMV Manual once in a while. =]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.