Detecting Non-Online/LAN Play

illidan92

Reaction score
Yeah i've never done it before and i'm a skilled JASSer so this question is almost embarassing for me to ask: How exactly do I detect if the game is not online or on LAN (because you can't use cheats in those)? I heard a vague description of saving destroying then loading a game cache which is too vague for me to know what to do. Do I make a game cache, add a variable to it destroy it then try to get the variable again or something and if I do its single player?

illidan92

Reaction score
I know, and thats not what i'm asking. The point is so people can solo in my game Undead Assault II and still save if they play on LAN or host a private game for themself on B.net.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
If they play by themself, they can cheat, still. Even online.

They simply edit the memory, or use some sort of offline stat hack, which would work similar to a SC offline mineral hack.

illidan92

Reaction score
You can't cheat online or in LAN (iseedeadpeople etc.), and i'm not counter-acting hackers here. Can you just tell me how to do it instead of arguing about my motivations to do so?

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
I'm not talking about cheat codes.

I'm talking about using a memory editor to simply give yourself indefinite gold, lumber, or in your case, experience.

Anyway, I doubt it is possible to detect whether the game is offline or online. However, you can prevent cheating by using check-sums and tricky anticheats.

What you do, is reserve a bit of the map for your little anticheats. Also, you might want to make this bit of the map out of camera bounds.

To stop whosyourdaddy, create a unit, owned by the host, which has a 1 damage attack, and is constantly attacking an enemy unit, with low health, but lots of regeneration. If whosyourdaddy is turned on, the host's unit will kill the enemy unit, therefore you can tell if that person is cheating.

For iseedeadpeople, I don't think it really matters, because someone could achieve a similar affect with a maphack.

For things like cooldown reset, simply get a unit, give it some ability like Slam, but with a 360 second cooldown, and constantly order that unit to Slam. Simply check if the unit uses Slam when it should not be able to.

For upgrades, just change the iseedeadpeople anticheat, so that the host's unit has an upgrade, which increases damage by 1000.

I don't remember all the cheats, but you can use old-fashioned SC tactics to stop people from cheating.

illidan92

Reaction score
No I don't want to stop cheating manually and i've seen other maps detect if it's online or offline.

Weyrling

Reaction score
I recall seeing a thread that said exactly how to do this on TheHelper, you can look it up yourself.

xxyourdeadxx

Reaction score
You can't cheat online or in LAN (iseedeadpeople etc.), and i'm not counter-acting hackers here. Can you just tell me how to do it instead of arguing about my motivations to do so?

Annoy them, so if they use a cheat, use the trigger pause game. And when they retype the cheat code, unpause, and if they use more than 1 cheat at a time, use an integer count on how many cheats are used, if 0 then unpause, if more than or equal to one, pause the game. And for iseedeadpeople, when they use it, put the camera on the character, when it's off, release it and use black mask on all areas of map.

illidan92

Reaction score
Hmm the thread is asking how to detect non-online/LAN play, not cheating. And cheating doesn't register as a chat message.

Choco yours just detects if theres 1 player. I found out how though, you set a boolean local var to "SaveGameCache(anygamecache)" and it will return online/not online play.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
if it isn't too much to ask illidan, could you maybe post your "kick if it's not online trigger" up here, because I am not a skilled Jasser, and I would like the same thing if at all possible

I understand if it is something you don't wanna post

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.