Do you need to destroy sounds?

Grymlax

Probably not around
Reaction score
Do I need to destroy sounds?

I decided to enhance some of my spells with 3d sounds. I started by setting a variable as a sound. After I was done using it I destroyed it with the gui function Sound - Destroy Sound. This is where my problem starts becouse after it was destroyed I could not set it to the variable and use it again, so the sound only played the first time the spell was cast.

So my question is simply: Do i need to destroy 3d sounds after I've played them?

If the answer to the first question is yes then the follow up question reads: How would I destroy it to make it leak free?

I did a small check at the Tutorial Repository but the closest i got was emjlr3's Memory Leak / Custom Script Guide and it didn't say anything about sounds.

Lady MufflaN

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same, since I'm going to use full voice act in my map it'll be crazy if it leaks xD (Don't even bother commenting on the size the map will be, but if you got a tip on how to make sounds smaller, please do tell)

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
i would just use PlaySound, and that generally takes care of things, I doubt you are using sound so often that even if that did leak somehow, it would make a difference

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
Sounds are handles, and just like any handle, they CAN leak. However, Sounds are a bit different than a Unit Group.
If you go into the Sound Editor and click the "Use as Sound" button, it creates a global variable of the SoundHandle type. Now, as you usually don't go around re-assigning that sound variable, you never lose the refrence to it. Therefore, no leak.
Now, there is a way to create a SoundHandle dynamically in JASS, if you did that, you would need to remove the Sound after it's done being used, because you would lose the reference to it.
So to summarize, when referring to Sounds:
GUI - Hardly ever leaks.
JASS - More likely to leak.

Hope this helped more than it confused.

EDIT: Oh snap, massively beaten to the punch.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
when refering to sounds, you forgot that part...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.