DotA-like Mode Triggers

LordXavier

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I've been trying to get this to work, but I just can't get it right. I have multiple game modes for my map
Main Modes: -ap, -ar
Secondary Modes: os, oi, oa, do, ro, nt, em, xm
and I don't know how to make the trigger like DotA that can decipher what the player types in, I want the player to have to type something in like this: -apemosdoront
Can anybody help me? +rep

Scary Nachos

Castro flashing Gang Signs!
Reaction score
Huh...

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -apemom as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn on Archer Research <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on BlueDrag Research <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Salamandar orange <gen>

Like that?
If you mean decipher.... do you mean....
Trigger:
  • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -apemom as An exact match

That or something?
You could check out the dota template....
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/maps.php?view=137

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -apemosdoront as An exact match

Isn't it good?

LordXavier

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
if I made a trigger for every single combination of my modes, I'd have a ton. There are about 100 different combinations, I do not want to have to make that many triggers JUST for the game mode
Also, that DotA template and every other one I've looked at (even DotA Allstars template) only have a trigger like
Trigger:
  • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -ap as An exact match
    • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -allpick as An exact match

I want it to be possible to type in -apemosdoront (just an example of the largest posibility0

Guest3z

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing ap as A substring
Change as an exact match to as a substring and make a trigger for the multiple modes and it should work with whatever combo you type in.

Kuberr24

Reaction score
what dota does is, it breaks down the chat string in to parts of 2 letters. you can use by using local string variables and setting them equal to letters A/B of the entered chat string and then set the next local string to letters CD, then third string to EF etc. until the entire string is split up.

then for each string variable made this way, compare what exactly the player typed. then alot of if/then/else functions to do if stirng = ap, if string = ar, if string = oi etc... If a combination doesn't exist, give a message saying "illegal combination"

LordXavier

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
what dota does is, it breaks down the chat string in to parts of 2 letters. you can use by using local string variables and setting them equal to letters A/B of the entered chat string and then set the next local string to letters CD, then third string to EF etc. until the entire string is split up.

then for each string variable made this way, compare what exactly the player typed. then alot of if/then/else functions to do if stirng = ap, if string = ar, if string = oi etc... If a combination doesn't exist, give a message saying "illegal combination"
care to make a sample of that in GUI or Jass tags?

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Couldn't you do this? :S

Trigger:
  • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing <YOUR MODE KEYLETTERS HERE> as A substring

LordXavier

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
yes I can do that, but let me explain why I want an example in GUI/Jass tags. I can make it player 1 red types -ap as a substring, but I don't know how I'd make the rest of the trigger, considering there's a TON of different combinations with my modes

Smilis

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
yes I can do that, but let me explain why I want an example in GUI/Jass tags. I can make it player 1 red types -ap as a substring, but I don't know how I'd make the rest of the trigger, considering there's a TON of different combinations with my modes

You havn't read the full text... He told you to use this:
Trigger:
  • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing om as A substring

And put that in the Only mid trigger... so if Blue writes OM... (he wont need anything before it or after it), it will run that trigger... And becuse you have "as A substring" you can use as "text" as you want to..

If you understood what I ment ^^'

Guest3z

Reaction score
If you want something like kuberr said it would be something like this
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing - as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set IntegerCounter = 1
      • Set IntegerLength = (Length of (Entered chat string))
      • For each (Integer A) from 2 to IntegerLength, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set StringVar[IntegerCounter] = (Substring((Entered chat string), (Integer A), ((Integer A) + 1)))
          • Set IntegerCounter = (IntegerCounter + 1)
          • Custom script: set bj_forLoopAIndex = bj_forLoopAIndex + 1
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to IntegerCounter, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (String(StringVar[(Integer A)]) as Lower case) Equal to ap
            • Then - Actions
              • Trigger - Run AP <gen> (checking conditions)
            • Else - Actions
              • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (String(StringVar[(Integer A)]) as Lower case) Equal to ar
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Run AR <gen> (checking conditions)
                • Else - Actions

Kinda sloppy but you get the point

Dirac

Reaction score
Events
Player 1 types - as a substring
Conditions
None
Actions
Loop 1 to 6 (if the maximum number of game modes are typed simultaneously.. -apemomsone)
IF -ap is equal to Substring (integer A + 1) (integer A + 3)
THEN set AP = TRUE
ELSE
do the same with other game modes

As for the game message build a string inside a var
If AP = True
Set String = String + "All Pick"
Display Player 1 turned on "STRING" modes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.