Dota's Blink Dagger Disabled?

RaiJin

Reaction score
anyone know how to do DotA's blink dagger?

where if you are hit then your blink dagger is disabled for 3 seconds until you are out of combat.

?

-> also

does anyone know how to make a passive skill look like its going on cooldown BUT unactivatable because i know one way which, is switch the abilities and make the unit cast the skill.. but then the hero is able to click on the skill and it would say " still on cooldown or w/e " which i don't want

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score

where if you are hit then your blink dagger is disabled for 3 seconds until you are out of combat.

you need a damage detection system first of all!

does anyone know how to make a passive skill look like its going on cooldown BUT unactivatable because i know one way which, is switch the abilities and make the unit cast the skill.. but then the hero is able to click on the skill and it would say " still on cooldown or w/e " which i don't want

r u talkin about what Dota's Weaver hero has for his ability, germinate?

RaiJin

Reaction score
you need a damage detection system first of all!

r u talkin about what Dota's Weaver hero has for his ability, germinate?

-> yeah i know for damage detection system that's not the current problem, its the problem of making the user unable to use his dagger like dota's

>r you talkin about what Dota's Weaver hero has for his ability, germinate

-> EXACTLY LIKE THAT :D DEAD ON

nardretor

Reaction score
probably, about the blink dagger...

the trigger could be like...

A unit is attacked

Attacked unit has Kelen's Dagger

Set DaggerUserPos = Position of Attacked Unit
Remove Kelen's Dagger from Attacked Unit
Create Disabled Kelen Dagger at DaggerUserPos
Give Last created item to Attacked Unit
Wait 3.00 seconds
Set DaggerUserPos = Position of Attacked Unit
Remove Disabled Kelen Dagger from Attacked Unit
Create Kelen's Dagger at DaggerUserPos
Give Last created item to Attacked Unit
Custom Script: call RemoveLocation (udg_DaggerUserPos)

Sorry for not using the trigger or code function

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
Your gona need a few things, first a damage detection system,

If the damage taken is greater then 0
and if the triggering unit (the damaged unit) has the item blink dagger
From there you remove the blink dagger and give a dummy item (an item with no abilities) using the DISBTN version of the icon used for blink dagger as the dummy item's icon
From there, i have found the easiest way of tracking items without the use of custom value would be the use of the items hit points, but you can use any method you want to keep track of a value on the item

When the dummy iten spawns give it a value (IE 300) then have a periodic trigger make the value tick down (IE current value of blink dagger for picked unit <looping for every unit that has the item> to current value of blink dagger for picked unit - 10 ticks ten times every second) so once it hits 0 or below 0 then youll replace that item with the real item

In short

Unit takes damage
Blink Dagger is replaced with dummy
Dummy is assigned a value
The value will tick down (it can also tick up)
The value reaches a certain number
Dummy is replaced with the real dagger

millz-

Reaction score
Take a reference to this. My suggestion helped him with disabling the HoT, I think it should work the same for you.

jig7c

Reaction score
germinate only works when the unit is ordered to attack, not when the unit automatically attacks... it's also a trigger ability...
for those u don't know what germinate ability is:
its a hero ability, and every 6/5/4/3 seconds (numbers might be off a bit) the Weaver attacks the enemy twice), it's a passive ability, but it also has a cooldown on it for the above mentioned seconds!

RaiJin

Reaction score
maybe i shoulda said more about the blink dagger,

i've already figured out everything about blink dagger but theres only one problem and if you guys can solve it, it would be awesome

here's what i would do with blink dagger

A unit is damaged ( using a damage detection system )

if unit has blink dagger then

remove blink dagger from triggering unit and give the unit a disabled blink dagger, run a timer and count down when 3 seconds is over, UNLESS the unit is attacked again then restart the timer and keep the disabled dagger on the unit. When 3 seconds is over give the unit the blink dagger back

this is all fine and dandy except there's sort of a problem

what happens when a unit's blink dagger is already going on cooldown because the unit has just used it. When that unit is damaged the blink dagger is removed and is given the dummy dagger. When the 3 seconds is over the unit recieves the usable blink dagger, However, the blink dagger's cooldown is reset because it is a new item created and was removed and given back. Thus setting the cooldown back to 0.

-> and for neurbian weaver's skills any thoughts on it?

jig7c

Reaction score
About germinate... is orb of lightning with searing arrow

>germinate
how would he make the ability?
it's two abilities combined into one?
how does that happen?

>blink dagger
can you manipulate cooldown via triggers?

millz-

Reaction score
Okay, now what you can try is, when the hero with dagger is damaged, drop the dagger and hide it somewhere? When the disabled time expires remove the disabled dagger and move the original item back to where the hero was and give it to the hero. But this could lead to another problem. If the hero places the dagger at, example numpad 1 position, but numpad 7 8 4 5 were all empty, the dagger might appear at numpad 7 instead. For the Germinate, create a new custom ability based on Orb of Lightning (New). In that ability, there's a option where you can set the "active" ability of the orb. Set it to a custom searing arrow with no bonus damage, 3 seconds cooldown or whatever, chance of orb to proc to 100%, and you would get what Germinate looks like.

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
>germinate
how would he make the ability?
it's two abilities combined into one?
how does that happen?

>blink dagger
can you manipulate cooldown via triggers?

Orb of lightning use a cast ability inside with % chance to cast when attacking, set % chance to 100% and change field of the spell to Searing Arrow.

In searing arrow change the cd to what you want, the damage bonus you can set 0 or +X, this is your choice

I'm not 100% sure, but if I remember well, is this germinate attack

jig7c

Reaction score
in germinate, every 6/5/4/3 seconds, it attacks twice, so whatever your attack numbers are, it should do it twice.. for example
if your attack is 65-78, and it does 66 damage, the next germinated attack should also be within 65-78 damage range! but not necessarily 66...

avalya

Reaction score
Geminate Attack is indeed Orb of Lightning with a 100% chance to trigger Searing Arrows on attack, the Searing Arrows has 6/5/4/2.5 seconds cooldown and deals 0 bonus damage.

For the Dagger, simply do the same way as I posted in the Heart of Tarrasque thread, that was linked to by millz- a couple of posts above. It will disable the dagger for 3 seconds whenever you take damage, if any damage is taken during the 3 seconds, set the timer to 3 again. The cooldown will not be affected because it is an item, and item cooldowns lasts through drop (or remove) and pick up (or create).

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
http://www.playdota.com/forums/4099/triggered-item-abilities/
Whenever a hero enters the game and it's not the Bloodstone dummy hero or an illusion, and "RegisterDamageAlready" is false for that hero, then set that variable for him to true and create a new periodic trigger to be called when the hero is damaged.

This new trigger consists of two functions:

The first one saves the following information about the event to three real number arrays: damage amount, damage source and current time. All these arrays have a length of 8000, then they start overwriting themselves. The information stored in the arrays is used when kill assists are evaluated.
The second function is the one we are interested in. It checks, if the damage is bigger than 2 and if the damage source is controlled by any of the 10 human players. If both the conditions are true, then set "Global|LastDamage" to the current time.

There's another periodic trigger running concurrently. It is called every 0.33 seconds and for every player in the game, the trigger takes that player's hero and if the hero isn't dead, then the following function is called:
If the current time is lower than "Global|LastDamage"+3 seconds, then search the hero's inventory (slots 0-5) and if you find Kelen's Dagger, then remove it from the inventory and replace it by Disabled Kelen's Dagged. If the current time is bigger or equal to "Global|LastDamage"+3 seconds, then search the hero's invetory (slots 0-5) and if you find Disabled Kelen's Dagger, then remove it from the inventory and replace it by Kelen's Dagger.

To sum up, Dagger is disabled for 3 seconds after any damage bigger than 2 from player-controlled source is recieved. The damage source can even be the hero himself (e.g. Double Edge) or an ally (e.g. Toss). Direct HP removal does not disable Dagger. And because the disabling trigger is called every 0.33 seconds, there can be a small delay, so if lucky, the hero can still blink away before Dagger is disabled.
\

Edit: Shit, realized you already knew it.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
the cooldown for blink dagger should not matter because the 2nd blink dagger will be under the same cooldown group

Think of it like this, you have a potion, you drink it and it goes under cooldown. You drop it, then pick it up again. It will still be under cooldown so you dont have to worry about it

Gemanate has nothing to do with the problem on hand, i dont understand why you keep on bringing it up.

avalya

Reaction score
Gemanate has nothing to do with the problem on hand, i dont understand why you keep on bringing it up.

Still Geminate. ;)

And I wasn't necessarily bringing it up, I was just confirming to everyone what it does and how it is done.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.