Template Dummy Unit

Leazy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hello!

I have made a simple template, featuring a dummy unit. I know this is extremely basic, but I hope it might prove useful to some.

If you have just started using the world editor, you might ask yourself ''what are dummies for?''

Well, if you would like to cast an ability, for example storm bolt but also want the target unit to be victim of chain lightning, you can use a dummy unit, add chain lightning to it and order it to cast chain lightning on the target unit. Here is an example trigger:

Trigger:
  • Storm Bolt Plus Chain Lightning
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Storm Bolt
    • Actions
      • Set Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Chain Lightning to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Chain Lightning for (Last created unit) to (Level of Storm Bolt for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Far Seer - Chain Lightning (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point)

*PROS with this dummy unit
  • All abilities are instant casted, you can even cast more than one spell at the same time with the same dummy.
  • The dummy dies without any timers or triggers by itself after 3 seconds.
  • Easy to import when you have just started making a map, and just can't be bothered with creating a brand new dummy.
  • Have ALL the feilds set up right for you, so you don't need to read a tutorial or spend 20 minutes looking for each field.

Enjoy!

Want to know more about dummy units? Read this tutorial!

Attachments

• Dummy.w3x
    8.7 KB · Views: 234

Leazy

Reaction score
Yeah, I know this is REALLY basic. However, this can provide starters with a well functioning dummy unit. :)

For example, there was this guy a while ago that asked how he could remove the delay when dummies cast an ability. Using this dummy will automatically remove that problem for people. =)

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this is REALLY basic. However, this can provide starters with a well functioning dummy unit. :)

For example, there was this guy a while ago that asked how he could remove the delay when dummies cast an ability. Using this dummy will automatically remove that problem for people. =)

You have a point there. Many people coming on the forum for help know how to use dummy units. Not all of them know how to properly set up the unit in the object editor.

Maybe you could add a good picture with the important fields to make it clearer for those who don't know what to change?

Leazy

Reaction score
I don't think thats needed, since theres many good tutorials for that, take this one for example. I'll link to it in my first post if people would need it.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
What about expanding this and adding an example of how to use one global dummy ?

BRUTAL

I'm working
Reaction score
For example, there was this guy a while ago that asked how he could remove the delay when dummies cast an ability.
wow i seriously did not know how to fix that o.o

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Set spells casting time to 0.

Set Dummys Animation - Blend Time, Cast Backswing and Cast Point all to 0.0

This way you can use only one dummy and it is still MUI, because casting takes no time.

Charapanga

Reaction score
Well, this is the Basic-est template ever, gj on that :D Joke
Umm...Yeah, almost everyone needs to know what a dummy is before even creating a spell trigger so i guess this is useful
but i'm not sure if you covered the fact that dummy units can be used as special effects too, i use dummies for almost all special effects that need to be scaled...
Overall, its a basic tutorial, great for "noobs" to start out at making spells :)
but, its not very useful for most people that created more than 1 spell trigger

Leazy

Reaction score
I think this is useful for many people, because not everyone has all the fields right on their dummies (even if it doesn't make a that big difference). Example: I know I have been nagging about this, but this dummy removes the delay of dummy spells, and with this dummy you don't need to create more than one dummy to cast more than one spell at the same time.

Thanks for feedback. :)
I suppose there isn't so much more to say about this template. :p

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Or better, leave it alone and let it die of a negative health regeneration that, normally, will kill it in three seconds?

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
I think the point here is that i learned something, the whole animation to 0 thing. And in no way am i a "noob" Its just something i never touched on.

This is extremely basic, but that doesn't matter becuase it will teach people some things. Like it taught me.

Leazy

Reaction score
Instead of the removing dummies from game trigger, couldn't you just add an expiration timer to it?

Sure, instead of adding a trigger with one event, one condition & one action you could add the expiration timer to each trigger with a dummy unit. You see, your way is just making triggers longer without it being necessary. I prefer my way.

Or better, leave it alone and let it die of a negative health regeneration that, normally, will kill it in three seconds?

This is also a way. Actually, good idea: I'll add it tomorrow or someday soon when I got time. :) +rep

I think the point here is that i learned something, the whole animation to 0 thing. And in no way am i a "noob" Its just something i never touched on.

This is extremely basic, but that doesn't matter becuase it will teach people some things. Like it taught me.

I'm happy to hear that this have helped you =)

Thanks for the feedback to all three of you!

Leazy

Reaction score
Updated, dummies will now die after three seconds without any triggers or expiration timers. I now consider this dummy unit complete :)

Leazy

Reaction score
Then the least they could do is to tell me what to change to get this approved ... =\

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.