Dynamic tooltips

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
If you have a look at, for example "Feral Spirit", the tooltip says:
Damage: <osw1,mindmg1> - <osw1,maxdmg1>

Now, "osw1" is, indeed, a level 1 spirit wolf.

However, if you base a custom unit on those same wolves,
you get, of course, a new unit ID.
But, using that as a dynamic tooltip,
will still show the original damage of the unit
you used as base unit, and, unfortunately,
not of the new one...

Any thoughts?

Yours
AceHart

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Why don't you change the value in the ag? I'm primivitve, an I don't use dynamic tooltips. I just look at my unit and put it's damage on the tooltip. Can't you just put the dynamic tooltip of the new unit ID? so if you chaged it from osw1 to dlr, you'd get the new damage of your unit. I might be wrong as I'm jsut using common sense. Gotta at least try for all the help you've given me;).

AceHart

Reaction score
- Why don't you change the value in the ag?

What's an "ag"?

And, while we're at it,
what the ding dong do "-ap", "-ar" and "-cp" (or was that "-cr"?) stand for?
(Unrelated to the topic at hand, I know)

- I just look at my unit and put it's damage on the tooltip.

Me too.
But that's too simple :)

- Can't you just put the dynamic tooltip of the new unit ID?

No.
If you put <new ID, mindmg1>, you will actually see <original unit ID, mindmg1>...

- so if you changed it from osw1 to dlr, you'd get the new damage of your unit.

dlr?

- I might be wrong as I'm just using common sense.

Good one :rolleyes:
I've noticed, from personal experience, that sense is rarely common ;)

Seriously though, that's what I tried too,
then I posted here...

- Gotta at least try for all the help you've given me;).

Well, little help is better than no help as they say.

Yours
AceHart

P.s.: is there a common sense limit to the number of smilies on one same post?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
LOL that was typo, but I can't figure out what I was trying to say even though I wrote it... I think it's supposed to say tooltip. How did "ag become tooltip? Lol well, -ap is -allpick but shorter, -ar is -allrandom but shorter, and i don't know about the cr and cp at the moment. There DotA terms;).

LOL your one of those types that has to do it the hard way right? instead of prelacing the unit or setting it's stats, you make a long, complicated trigger to set it's stats right?;)

So it won't work if you put like "sh, mindmg"? sh by the way is Shadow Hunter but I made it shorter, which might not be the correct way hehe.

Dlr is suppose to DeepLord Revenant, forgot to say that.

Hehe, some people have nagged me about this but even if I'm totally wrong, I try to at least get them on the right path, so I've let up on that and give as accurate information as I can. But AceHart, your a genius compared to me, so it might not help hehe;).

P.S. Hmm, don't know.
:) :mad: :cool: :p ;) :D
P.S.S. I'm a Texan, so excuse me if I'm a little off or acting weird;).

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
If changing "osw1" to the new unit id isn't working, then its probably a bug of some sort, it is supposed to work. Try for testing's sake to make another custom unit based off something else and change one of its dynamic tooltips to something else and see if it works.

L

Ling_Lover

Press ctrl+D to see the names for all the fields... they give you the refrence for dynamic tooltips...

AceHart

Reaction score
Actually, they aren't that dynamic...

If you change, for example, the wolves' damage,
on the original unit, the tooltip remains unchanged,
even though the summoned unit does get the altered damage...

Don't know where the game is looking those references up,
when "constructing" the tooltip,
but it's definitely not the "current" unit. :(

AceHart

L

Ling_Lover

i just said it, press ctrl+d and then open the tooltip and change the name of the ability (A***) to whatever is before the name in the folder view on the left(A6**), that will fix it

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
ok now I'm getting confused. The spell research tooltip is referring to the following wolf unit fields:

realHP
mindmgX (X is a number)
maxdmgX (X is a number)

none of which exist anywhere!

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I bet dynamic tooltips are hardwired into Warcraft III, meaning they ONLY use the original damage of Wolves and other units. It seems this way because osw1 is the ORIGINAL Spirit Wolf code thingy, so even fi you change the damage of the Spirit Wolf, it will still say the original damage for the Sirit Wolf. It seems that you can only use "custom" dynamic tooltips when it refers to something within the spell, such as "<AHav,DataA1>". If I'm right, either try to make some complicated program to crack Warcraft III or just put the damage there. ( You seem to like it the hard way, so just take a few years to make that program just so you can use Dynamic tooltips to your liking hehe)

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
ok preliminary tests indicate that realHP = HP and so the HP field works fine for custom wolves. Damage on the other hand appears to be hard-coded, which is of course a bug. I'll let you know if I find any new info.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
ergh.

my conclusion now is that the mindmgX and maxdmgX reference data fields simply do not work at all. I believe they have been hardcoded to refer to the wc3 melee data set and will ignore any and all data changes you make to either original or custom unit damage values.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Can I point something out I don't see here?

Heres your dyn

<AHav,DataA1>

The '<AHav' part is the ability name.

When you make a custom ability, it is no longer '<AHav'. It gets its OWN new reference.

So use CTRL-D. Then format it like this.

<xxxx,yyyy>

X= Your custom abilities tag on the LEFT pane. It won't be like the original 'AHav'.
y= The data tag from the RIGHT pane.

This applies to all objects, not just abilities. Abilities start with an 'A'. Units start with the first letter of the race, etc etc etc.

XXconanXXX said:
I'm primivitve, an I don't use dynamic tooltips. I just look at my unit and put it's damage on the tooltip.

I have 87 towers and I want to change the tooltips for all of them. NOW dymanic tooltips are worth using. Copy paste all the way. Then edit them as necessary.

However, I found no way to link a dynamic tooltip to gamplay interface values, so it didn't work well for me.

Also abilities don't show up as the text name, but rather the custom tag for the ability inside the tooltip, which no one playing would know what it meant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.