Far Sight Special Effect

Gryffin

Reaction score
Hey there,
I'm curious if anyone knows what the effect is generated by Far Sight. I just tested it, and as far as I can tell, the effect is not a special effect, nor is it a visibility modifier. I would like to destroy the effect and return black mask and fog of war upon a later triggered event (before it's timer runs out), but am unable to set or find the effect. Anyone know what type of effect the swirling animation of Far Sight is, and how to remove visibilty where it was cast earlier than it's timer end?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it's called Reveal and it's an effect (under buffs for some reason)
Trigger:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of (Playable map area)) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Andt\Andt.mdl

Gryffin

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the info. Not sure why I didn't notice that. However, I cannot set and later access the buff. Even if I could set it, I could not remove it later because you cannot remove buffs from a point or generally, only from units.
Any ideas?

Code:
Far Sight
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Far Sight [Custom]
    Actions
        Set FarSightBuff = Reveal (Effect)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
this works for me.. why cant you set it? (you need a variable of type "special effect")

Trigger:
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of (Playable map area)) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Andt\Andt.mdl
      • Set effect = (Last created special effect)
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Special Effect - Destroy effect

Gryffin

Reaction score
Hey.
I had tried to set it as a special effect, and tried again now. But still no dice. I need the special effect variable to be set upon the casting of far sight. But I think that's the problem. I think the editor can't recognize the swirl as a last created special effect as a result of the ability's casting.

Gryffin

Reaction score
Wait so you want when an ability is casted a swirl above its head?

The swirl already appears from the use of Far Sight. What I really need is to remove the special effect, which I can do with triggering by creating an effect then later deleting it, but I also need to prematurely end the vision effect: the removal of fog of war where far sight was cast. I have some ideas and am going to try them out now.

Gryffin

Reaction score
This is what I've got. The special effect is created, then later destroyed when I ask it to be. Also, the fog of war is removed, but not the black mask. Later, when I trigger the visibility modifiers to be destroyed, nothing happens. The Far Sight ability is based on Flame Strike, with all of its effects removes (it simply allows me to select a point).
Trigger:
  • Far Sight
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Far Sight [Flame Strike]
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Far Sight Cast
      • Set FarSightPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Target point of ability being cast) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Andt\Andt.mdl
      • Set FarSightSpecial = (Last created special effect)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Far Sight [Flame Strike] for (Casting unit)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Fog of war from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 600.00
          • Set VisibilityModifiers[1] = (Last created visibility modifier)
          • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Black mask from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 600.00
          • Set VisibilityModifiers[2] = (Last created visibility modifier)
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Far Sight Modifier ...
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Far Sight [Flame Strike] for (Casting unit)) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Fog of war from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 900.00
              • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Black mask from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 900.00
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Far Sight [Flame Strike] for (Casting unit)) Equal to 3
                • Then - Actions
                  • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Fog of war from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 1200.00
                  • Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for (Owner of (Casting unit)) emitting Black mask from (Target point of ability being cast) to a radius of 1200.00
                • Else - Actions
                  • Do nothing
      • Visibility - Enable VisibilityModifiers[1]
      • Visibility - Enable VisibilityModifiers[2]

SanKakU

Reaction score
are you trying to do something to invisible units or no? i don't really get what you want although i just skimmed over the thread for the most part. anyway a spell that someone made that reminds me of far sight a little and might give you some ideas would be that one from anitarf's olympic spellpack over at wc3c.net can't remember what it was called, but it's the one that casts fairie fire on the units but it won't hit invisible units...

Gryffin

Reaction score
are you trying to do something to invisible units or no? i don't really get what you want although i just skimmed over the thread for the most part. anyway a spell that someone made that reminds me of far sight a little and might give you some ideas would be that one from anitarf's olympic spellpack over at wc3c.net can't remember what it was called, but it's the one that casts fairie fire on the units but it won't hit invisible units...

Ultimately, I'm trying to have a unit cqast far sight, and then end far sight at a time of my choosing, before the ability's timer dictates.

SanKakU

Reaction score
what do you mean a time of your choosing? as in click the button to turn it off/end it? or type a chat message to end it or a channeling far sight or what?

Gryffin

Reaction score
what do you mean a time of your choosing? as in click the button to turn it off/end it? or type a chat message to end it or a channeling far sight or what?

I mean as a result of a later trigger. Later on, I have an event trigger, upon the triggering of this event, I would like to stop the far sight effect, both the special effect and its ability to see fog of war and black mask.

SanKakU

Reaction score
can't remember exactly what's going on or what you want, but after you say that, that makes more sense to me now. your phrase a time of your choosing confused me.

hmm...why can't you just make a dummy unit with (or perhaps without, depending on your visual effects needs) the model for the far sight effect and manipulate that? you can give the dummy unit true sight and create and remove him when necessary...

might have to use a global variable for the dummy unit if a different event is triggering the dummy unit's death... i'm not too familiar with mui and globals though...

anyway i found out you can suddenly make a dummy disappear visually by changing it's size to 0...not sure if that tip would help you or not but i suppose it might...

Gryffin

Reaction score
can't remember exactly what's going on or what you want, but after you say that, that makes more sense to me now. your phrase a time of your choosing confused me.

hmm...why can't you just make a dummy unit with (or perhaps without, depending on your visual effects needs) the model for the far sight effect and manipulate that? you can give the dummy unit true sight and create and remove him when necessary...

might have to use a global variable for the dummy unit if a different event is triggering the dummy unit's death... i'm not too familiar with mui and globals though...

anyway i found out you can suddenly make a dummy disappear visually by changing it's size to 0...not sure if that tip would help you or not but i suppose it might...

Not a bad idea. I'll try it out.

Gryffin

Reaction score
SanKakU, your idea completely worked. When the ability is cast, I create an invisible dummy unit that has the sight radius desired and the true sight ability. I create the far sight special effect via a trigger action. Later, upon a certain event, I kill the dummy unit and the special effect. Problem, solved. Thanks a lot.

BcBoy

Reaction score
I've read the topics, but i'm still abit unsure on what you are trying to achieve here...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.