"File in use, cannot delete file"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad

Reaction score
My friend emailed me a .rar file but it didnt allow a .rar to be sent, so he took off the file extension. He told me to open it... But it didnt know what program to use (Because it had no extension). So I tried changing it to a .exe (Not knowing it was a rar)

Now it says I cant rename, delete, or move the file because it is in use. I have tried restarting my computer, running in safe mode as the administrator... But it still gives me the error!

Now I have this 800mb file that I cant move or delete on my DESKTOP.

I opened it in winrar as the .exe, it still showed the files so I unextracted them.

NOW I CANT MOVE OR DELETE ANY OF THOSE FILES!

Now I have almost 2 gigs of space on my desktop (Well, the extracted is in a folder) that I cant touch. What do I do? Stupid microsoft... Just delete the fking thing I dont care if a program crashes!

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Ok...close all programs...take off your fire wall...and open your task manager go under

Processes..and look for something that looks similar to it and end it..then try to end it ask your friend what it says when he used it..since you made it an exe it should say something like blahblah.exe in the processes tab

Tonks

Reaction score
Yea, this happened to me a while back. I was trying to run a bad movie file, and the program couldn't read it but it kept trying. You just have to find the process that is trying to open it and close it down.

Rad

Reaction score
Ok...close all programs...take off your fire wall...and open your task manager go under

Processes..and look for something that looks similar to it and end it..then try to end it ask your friend what it says when he used it..since you made it an exe it should say something like blahblah.exe in the processes tab

Ive already tried that...

There is nothing running, I tried it in safe mode where it doesnt start anything up and just deleting it without running anything and it gives me that error

Edit~ closed EVERYTHING, including explorer.exe. I had only taskmanager and the services and system programs running. I opened the command console (Winkey + R => CMD) and typed "del desktop\cc.exe". It deleted! Yay dos. Explorer apparently was "using" it, even though i closed it and opened it before which didnt help... Wierd, but its gone

Kuvion

Reaction score
I also had that problem once. I found an easier solution though. I opened windows explorer, selected the file and then pressed delete on my keyboard. Then before the error came up (which took a few seconds) I closed explorer. Not the process explorer but just the window. Then the file was gone. I guess that wouldn't work for everyone, but at least it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.