"File Too Big" error!

Deritin

Reaction score
So, I made a map that was WAY too big, even for a LAN game. at the moment, tis around 27mb, and still growing. What can I say, there are so damn many perty models out there (by the way, kudos to all you valiant and intrepid modelers) and I have an idea that requires allot of new units. Does anyone know a way around the size cap? I don't want to host it on battlenet, just on my LAN, so is there something in the config file or some part of the game code I can change to allow me to host and other people to join? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Raveren

Reaction score
Deritin, I have a question, Can you send me this map later? I want to check it :O 27mb... it must be a great map :O Ofcourse after making it a little smaller ^^ And yes, do like William said... use protectors and many other programs to try making it as smallest as possible :D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> 27mb... it must be a great map :O
There is no correlation between map size and map quality.

Remove crap. Remove music. Remove the 20bn poly model which is used during the credits.
Also, the current map size limit is 4mb.
I've heard that it's 8mb for patch 1.24, though that's beta.

Deritin

Reaction score
etc.

yeah, no music, just models...lots and lots of models. So far i have 227 new custom units, and im imagining another 25 before I'm done. I can slim down on the models a bit (duh...), but I want to keep the majority of them, thats why I was wondering if there was a way to change the game code.

And I hope its a decent map--i enjoy it, more just a hobby that ive been working with on and off for several years. I really just want to be able to play it with my friends without castrating it. Thanks for the ideas though, particularly the widgetizer, etc.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Widgetizer isn't the way forward if you want to lower your maps file size.

Are all those models really needed?
Do players care about that 200million poly demon that's displayed when the game ends?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>I was wondering if there was a way to change the game code.

The simple answer is no.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
hold on i thought that chinese/japanese map optimizer thing (that alternate for vex's) could squish mdx files? o_O

Zaraf

Reaction score
hold on i thought that chinese/japanese map optimizer thing (that alternate for vex's) could squish mdx files? o_O

There is a limit to how much everything can be squished. I really have no idea WHAT this guy is thinking of doing that THAT many models, but it's really way overkill.

In-game models are more than enough for most purposes, and custom models are meant to be "extra special". Not just generic stuff.

Deritin

Reaction score
its actually an incredibly complicated mod (if not in principle, then in execution)--basically, a few new heroes, new mini tech trees for each hero you purchase, and new tech options depending on your hero combo (ie, purchas the three demon heroes [pit lord, dread lord, and a new hero i created] and you can build a stand alone burning legion tech tree including unique upgrades, buildings; etc, or by the sea witch and get access to the naga tech tree, etc), so there has to be a TON of new units to keep things even remotely balanced. That, and I get sick of using the exact same model over and over again. In other words, downsizing will be difficult, but if its my only option...

and to think, this all started by trying to include some of the pre-exiting but unused (in melee) units (why oh why did blizzard leave out the navy?). In any case, i think the size cap is a bit lame--understandable on battlenet, but why does it have to be limited on a LAN

anyway, thanks all.

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
First off, do you use ALL the unit models that come with the game? That would help. Then, I understand using the same model over and over gets a little annoying, but try to cut off by changing vertex coloring, attaching stuff to their hands or weapons, or anything, changing scales, stuff like that. For example, in standard games a LOT of units share the same model with a few changes, and they never use the attachment one, that means you can do it even more with some creativity. Try to get rid of the models that have an existing ladder race (in other words, get rid of the human, orc, NE and undead models, and keep only demon, naga, and such.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.