Final Fantasy 13

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
I JUST GOT FF 13. So far, it reminds me a bit of ff 7, which is a good thing. Even the intro is similar.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I got it last night at midnight and I got a discount, <3.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm watching my sister play it cuz I hate final fantasy. Just got a PS3 today and it's awesome.

This FF actually catches my attention a lot more than the previous ones. Fight music is cool!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, bought my copy at 6 PM EST. Played until pretty much right now, 1 AM EST.

Amazing game. Sometimes, the story seems to be somewhat over-complicated but it fixes itself with time as things clear out.
The gameplay, especially battles, has really improved since the 10. I consider it an improved version of the 12, which was the best so far IMO, as far as battles are concerned.

The high-lights of this game, what makes it worthy of purchase, must be the full graphics cutscenes (sometimes I forget which are cutscenes and which are cinematics) which are just slightly less detailed than true cinematics, as well as the combat system which is really hard to master as more and more options become available. It's also in real-time so... sometimes things are going too fast! Also, the characters are, for once, cool. Not seen since Final Fantasy 7 or so. The story also will recall memories of FF7. The main character is also an ex-soldier, d'uh.

I must say this is the best game I've played in the last year or so, and that includes quite many games, as I've rented some and borrowed many more off friends. :p

If that had came out in 2009, I would've named it Game of the Year without the slightest hesitation, for not many of them were worthy... :)

Let's see what comes out in 2010.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep components. They're used to upgrade weapons later on, and quite hard to find.

The overload of them you get at the beginning of the game will prove to be really useful.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Dude, im on getting the second summon
Odins a bitch to beat, any tips?

ReVolver

Reaction score
What is the fighting system based off? Like Final Fantasy X with overdrives/aeons? Or something else? Spoiler the answer please if you do.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Fight system: its interesting
The combat system is kinda hard to explain. Its kinda like the old active turn based systems, where you have a bar that, except, the bar has segments. Different abilities use different amounts of segments. There is also an autobattle command that fills up all the bars for you.(You start with 2 bars, but get more) Mp is no longer used in general, except for a few spells like libra.

Theres another cool system, which, when you damage an enemy enough, goes into stagger mode, which effects enemies in different, negative ways.

You only control one character, the others are ai controled. however, due to a system called the paradigm sytenm, you can change each battlemembers role(including yours)You have to change all 3 at once though. Different roles give different abilities. BTW: Not every role has normal attack, i think thats just commando role.

Before battle, you can set your paradigm decks(the classes each character has availible in battle) different characters have different roles available, although some seem to be shared. You have 6 paradigm decks(sets) that you can use in a battle. Theres also a summoning system, but im not sure how it works yet.

I do know this about summoning: You have to fight really hard battll;es where you have to meet a condition to win.

Oh, stat upgrade is like ff10, but in a more fancy interface. items ARE upgradble through materials(components).

I think aeons are usable as mounts btw.

As a warning, the game is more than slightly linear, actually, its basically a straight line. And one of the voice actors are SO ANNOYING, otherwise the va is good

Ill say it without spoilers, VANILLE IS ANNOYING!

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
ff 13: vanilles voice acting

Vanille is so annoying

For those that haven't played, vanille is one of the main characters in final fantasy 13. AND THE MOST ANNOYING. YOUR EARS WILL BURN UPON HEARING HER VOICE AGAAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN.

Discussion beloe

ReVolver

Reaction score
I'm guessing the English dub? :eek:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also find her voice annoying. :p

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I kind of like her voice though...

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, im on getting the second summon
Odins a bitch to beat, any tips?

Healing and protecting via spells your party members will load up the gauge a bit, so don't hesitate to do it. The key is also to have party members as ravagers and build up chain bonuses. It doesn't matter if the chain gauge almost automatically fills out, as long as it "deals" a high amount of "chain damage", it works.

> Ill say it without spoilers, VANILLE IS ANNOYING!

Not during the whole game actually. She's not quite what she seems to be. :)

Also, about the linear story,

It's only linear for a while. At some point, it changes drastically. Or so I've been told. I'm not there yet.

About the Vanille thread: thread merged, no it doesn't deserve a separate thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.