Fireball spell help

nLike

Reaction score
I'm creating a fireball type spell

You shoot a fireball and it wil travel until it meets the enemy. On enemy it will explode dealing damage in AOE around the target and also setting on fire every enemy in AOE

I've created everything I just need help with the dot. Whats the best way to introduce this.

I've tried the trigger way by creating a new trigger. adding units in group and then damaging them every 1 second. But it feels clumsy and I couldn't make it work all the time (something I failed i dont know) and I need to use some way to stop it. First i tried by counting an integer and if its more then desired (say 5 dseconds) i turn it off. But it felt just weird. I used wait and it bugged.

Then i tried casting a rain of fire on units but the animation is really slow and the damage is delayed.

Do you guys have any other suggestion/

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there nLike :D

I'm a tiny bit confused with your problem: when the fireball goes off, does it create fire on the ground that damages enemies that stand in it, or does it set enemies on fire for a short period of time?

If it's the first case, then what you can do is to create a simple dummy unit in the object editor, give it the "Locust" ability, set the model to .mdl (or a firey buff model for visual effect (like liquid fire)), and give it a customised 'Permanent immolation' ability, then make sure the dummy can't move, and create it and give it a timed life using triggers.
Sample trigger
Trigger:
  • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (the owner of the unit that created the fireball) at Detonation_Point facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
    • Unit - Add a 6.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

If it's the second case, then you can just do the same, except give the dummy unit a variation of the 'Parasite' ability (or any other targetted Damage over Time spell), then use a 'Pick every unit' for all the units in the detonation AoE, then create a dummy for each unit and command the dummy to use the D.o.t ability on the affected unit.
Sample trigger:
Trigger:
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 600.00 of Detonation_Point matching (set the conditions here to affect only certain units) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (the owner of the unit that created the fireball) at Detonation_Point facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Neutral - Parasite (Picked unit)
      • Unit - Add a 6.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Try whichever one of those fits your situation :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.