First Dummy Caster Attempt - Fail

Apostle O

Reaction score
Well, this is my first time trying to create a spell using a dummy caster trigger. It isn't working, and I can't figure out why.

I will try to distill this down as much as I can.

Hero has an ability called "Eyes of the Enemy." Think of it as a permanent Faerie Fire without the overhead graphic or the armor debuff. I created this as a dummy spell off of Channel, with Base Order ID of "faeriefire."

I also created a dummy caster with 100000 max and initial mana, incidentally. If you need any more details of this unit, I can fork them over.

Then, I created a spell called "Eyes of the Enemy DUMMY." This spell is based on Faerie Fire itself, and the Order String is still "faeriefire."

Finally, I created a trigger:

Code:
Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
(Ability being cast) Equal to Eyes of the Enemy 
Unit - Create 1 DUMMY CASTER for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Targeted unit)) facing (Position of (Targeted unit))
Unit - Add Eyes of the Enemy DUMMY to (Last created unit)
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Druid Of The Talon - Faerie Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
I removed the line of code which would remove the dummy caster for troubleshooting purposes, but do you see anything I am missing?

Thanks,
Apostle O

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
The reason is that "Finishes casting an ability" can't be checked by "Ability being cast".

Also, are you using an expiration timer on your dummy? Just asking because you said "remove dummy", and it's a bad idea to do it that way.

Is it copied word-for-word, or freehand? How'd you get "targeted unit"?

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Why don't you base the spell off of Faerie Fire in the first place :confused:

lindenkron

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • UsingDummyUnits
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Entangling Roots
    • Actions
      • Set Dummy_CastingUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Casting unit)
      • Set Dummy_TargetedUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of Dummy_CastingUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]) at (Position of Dummy_TargetedUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]) facing (Position of Dummy_TargetedUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))])
      • Unit - Add Entangling Roots to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots Dummy_TargetedUnit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]
      • Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Nice use of arrays to make everything so complicated :thup: This is why I hate GUI.

lindenkron

Reaction score
Nice use of arrays to make everything so complicated :thup: This is why I hate GUI.

Just because you can't figure out my complicated ways! :D (It's my own personal way of encoding it so noone understands anything!)

PS: It's MUI/MPI ain't it? I ain't sure haha.

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Just because you can't figure out my complicated ways! :D (It's my own personal way of encoding it so noone understands anything!)

PS: It's MUI/MPI ain't it? I ain't sure haha.

It is, but there is sooo much extra work done... you need not use a single array, nor a single variable for that matter :0
It's an instant cast, so there's no reason that it wouldn't be MUI.

But with those types of variables (I'm assuming an array of 12), it would be MPI but not MUI in a non-instant spell.

lindenkron

Reaction score
It is, but there is sooo much extra work done... you need not use a single array, nor a single variable for that matter :0
It's an instant cast, so there's no reason that it wouldn't be MUI.

But with those types of variables (I'm assuming an array of 12), it would be MPI but not MUI in a non-instant spell.

Well this was just a "part of a spell" so it has to be MPI / MUI or what-ever so it works for all players. If he adds waits etc? :)

Apostle O

Reaction score
The reason is that "Finishes casting an ability" can't be checked by "Ability being cast".

Also, are you using an expiration timer on your dummy? Just asking because you said "remove dummy", and it's a bad idea to do it that way.

Is it copied word-for-word, or freehand? How'd you get "targeted unit"?

It creates the dummy caster fine, and the dummy caster has the ability, and can cast it without issue if I do it manually (since I didn't remove him). It looks to me like it has to do with the line issuing the order.

I was removing the dummy because I couldn't find expiration timer, and that just seemed more logical to me. What is the disadvantage here, and what is the advantage of an expiration timer?

I copied those lines straight from my WE.

Why don't you base the spell off of Faerie Fire in the first place

I don't want the spell to have auto-cast.

-Apostle O

lindenkron

Reaction score
What is the disadvantage here, and what is the advantage of an expiration timer?

If you remove a unit you need to use Wait. Wait aint MUI. Experation timer should be. :)

And I'm not sure about the other thing, could you post your entire trigger? :rolleyes:

Apostle O

Reaction score
I got it to work...

Apparently, "Targeted unit" /= "Target unit of ability being cast."

Thanks everyone!

-Apostle O

lindenkron

Reaction score
Apparently, "Targeted unit" /= "Target unit of ability being cast."

Ofcause.

Needs to be Target Unit of Ability being cast, like in the example I wrote for you :rolleyes:.

Glad you got it working.
Good luck,
-Lindenkron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.