Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It was confusing

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I already knew how to do this

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
X

xflip04

This tutorial will teach you how to import a custom model correctly in 10 steps, and then using Mdx_Squisher, pack the MDX file down to lessen the file size.

Background Knowledge What is a custom model?

Unlike a skin where it replaces a wc3 model, a custom model is a unique model that can make a unit look like just about anything. Many custom models are designed from scratch, while others take the outline of a wc3 model and touch it up at least 75%. The good news about a custom model is that it does not replace the art model file of another unit. Custom models use mdx files so they can be loaded in the Art- Model File located in the object editor. Now lets get started!

1. For this tutorial I will be using the ARC Trooper model from Star Wars created by olofmoleman. Here is the link it was posted on. http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=4230&sid=

Notice that there are 5 skins that it uses, well it only requires 1 for it to work.

Skin 1: Textures\ArcTrooper.blp (path for the blp file)
Skin 2: Textures\GenericGlowX.blp
Skin 3: Textures\lensflare1Ax.blp
Skin 4: ReplaceableTextures\TeamColor\TeamColor08.blp (team color still work without it)
Skin 5: Textures\star2.blp

2. Download the ARC Trooper model here http://www.wc3sear.ch/files/downloads.php?ID=4230&l=4 (101.3 kilobytes)
Now that you have downloaded it (saved it) and extracted the zip file to a folder lets introduce the program that will compress and squish mdx files to make them a smaller size.
NOTE: The model squishing changes little to no detail what so ever, there will be no visible difference in the custom model you squish.

3. Download Mdx_Squisher here http://www.wc3campaigns.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6246&d=1148142007

4. Extract it and then open Mdx_Squisher. A small box will come up, click the Squish MDX box and it will ask you where you are looking for a file, go to where ever you saved the ARC Trooper model (I saved mine on the desktop) and open the folder. You should see a file called ArcTrooper.mdx. Click open and something will come up like squished to, (where ever your mdx file was originaly located.)

5. Next, open world editor and go into the import manager (F12) go to file, Import Files and again it will ask you where you are looking for your file. Go to where you saved it (I saved mine on the desktop) and open the folder ArcTrooper. Open ArcTrooper_Squished.mdx instead of the ArcTrooper.mdx because the Arc Trooper_Squished is the one you squished. For .mdx files keep the war3Imported path instead of changing the path.

If you did it right it should look something like this
6. Now you should have a file on your import manager
called ArcTrooper_Squished Type Model and Path war3mapImported\ArcTrooper_squished.mdx (this path does not involve any editing so we will move onto the next step)

7. Go to file in the import manager again and this time go further into the ArcTrooper folder into Textures. You should see a file called ArcTrooper.blp Open this up, and now you should have 2 files on the import manager. The other file should be called
ArcTrooper.blp Type Image/Texture Path war3mapImported\ArcTrooper.blp

8. Now for this model to work, we need to replace the war3mapimported\ArcTrooper.blp to a custom file that was created. As I stated from the above section, Textures\ArcTrooper.blp is the file that is going to replace the wa3mapimported. double click the blp file and box the little square that says "Use Custom Path" Paste Textures\ArcTrooper.blp instead of war3mapImported\ArcTrooper.blp

9. Now, save your map and exit out of it. Reopen it to view your new model, you probaly want to know how to find it now. :D

10. Go to the object editor (F6) and go to any unit you want to change the model to the new custom model. Or if you want, you can create a custom unit and give it that custom model so you dont take the place of any wc3 unit. (its your choice) What ever unit you pick go to Art - Model File Double click it and it will give you a list of wc3 models you can replace it with, we are looking for the Import section which is in the middle. In the import section it should be called war3mapImported\ArcTrooper_squished.mdx.

Congrats! You have imported your first custom model in 10 steps!!

Here is an ingame shot of what it should look like! http://www.wc3campaigns.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4653&d=1145200192

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I used the Mdx_Squisher and squished my mdx file but it is not showing that it has reduced any of the size, did I do something wrong?
A. No you did not, the Mdx_Squisher will not show that the size has been changed, but if you look at your map size it will be alot less then the original model size.

Q. I see that there is an icon that you can download of the ARC Trooper can you please answer in detail how to do that?
A. Download the ARC Trooper icon by clicking on the BTN icon. Once downloaded, use the knowledge I taught you. (extract it) Once again go to the import manager file, import file and go to the BTN folder. There are two icons to download, the disable icon, and the active icon. Download both called BTNARCTrooper.blp and DIBTNARCTrooper.blp. They both should be under Image/Textures and have no custom path that needs to be added. Once again save the map and reopen it. Go into the object manager and under the unit you changed the model to the ArcTrooper go to Art - Icon - Game Interference. You should see both versions, now you have the icon to go with it!

(more question\answers to come)

This is my first tutorial so please give me advice for future tutorials. I will also post the example map, I know I went into alot of detail but I want begininers to understand this section fully.

Special thanks to sfilip for finding me the Mdx_Squisher :)

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
I must admit there is another tutorial on this but you made it more detailed with pics and everything. Only 5% of the noobs though still get confused by his tutorial. Don't expect a major fan base :D

Z

Zero R.

Pictures are too small. use imageshack instead of photobucket.

Otherwise, good tutorial.

G

gormey

I love it, finaly I can import the model I want without asking a million questions because im noob at it :D

A

a13omination

I have a question though, The model I want to download has a mdx portrait along with the other 2 you gave. What do I do with that?

X

xflip04

No worries, there is no custom path for portraits. To be honest I really dont know what there meant for I think they have something to do with the models graphics. When you go to the art - model file you will see your models portrait with a blank model, just go to the other mdx model to use it. :)

X

xflip04

The new biggers pics are up, I hope you can see them better.

Thanks to kc102 for helping me with them

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
for .mdx keep the war3Imported part on. (add to ur tut?)

X

xflip04

Thanks I forgot to put that in Il'l add it in now, are the pic sizes better?

U

Unregistered

Tis was very helpful it makes me want to sign up to vote which i think i will!

G

gormey

So if there is 2 blp textures to fill in do you follow them? I have a skin that says Textures\GranHead.blp I guess the head was seperate lol?

G

gormey

Also you could add in some pictures for the BLP icon for beginers like me.

(sorry for the double post)

X

xflip04

Ive never seen that before but just take the 2 paths and paste them over the wc3imported files in the import manager

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.