Float Text Help

r1z1ngw4r

Cool Member
Reaction score
I've noticed some maps have a float text (I think) that is centered and fixed onto the camera. I tried many ways of making it but none seem to work. Can someone help?

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
text can be faded and seen in maps based on normal GUI triggers, you can also move the locations where they are visible based on GUi, however for that and coloring text i recommend jass.

Basic GUI for basic floated text is....

Event
Time - Elapsed game time is equal to seconds

Actions

Game - display to all players for x seconds: Text

That is the typical floating text, you can also use basic functions to change and customize it up a bit, thats not actually floating text, but its the easy way if you just want text on the screen to read to all players, you would then use jass to make that text appear in diff color or area of the screen, for floating text follow this

Event
Time - Elapsed game time is equal to seconds

Actions -

Floating text - Create floating text that reads (message) at center of playable map area with Z offset 0.00, using font size X, color 100% 100% 100% and transparency 0%

or however you like it ^^ thats basic

you can do it so floating text is created for different reasons using events, and if needed for more complex reasons using some comparison conditions, but all pretty straight forward work.

Never_Quit

Reaction score
You could try...

Trigger:
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set tempPlayerGroup = (All players matching (((Matching player) slot status) Equal to Is playing))
      • Player Group - Pick every player in tempPlayerGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set tempPG2 = (Player group((Picked player)))
          • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads Welcome to my game. at (Target of current camera view) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
          • Floating Text - Show (Last created floating text) for tempPG2
          • Set Floaters[(Player number of (Picked player))] = (Last created floating text)
      • Custom script: call DestroyForce(udg_tempPG2)

You could also create custom messages for each player.

Trigger:
  • Move Text
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in tempPlayerGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Floating Text - Change the position of Floaters[(Player number of (Picked player))] to (Target of current camera view) with Z offset 0.00

EDIT:Warning: This may still not be MUI

Also, this may not work for bNet. You may have to make the creation trigger register after a timed event rather than map initialization.

You could also try the custom game message with a few extra spaces or tabs. There are also multiboards that you could create for a similar effect.

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! But how do you center the text?

you center it by the region u select for it, floating text is a text for a specific region not the center of peoples screen all the time. that is simply display message triggers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.