US News Florida Is on Its Way to Banning — and Criminalizing — Alternative Meat

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
"We're not going to have fake meat. Like that doesn't work," Gov. Ron DeSantis said.

Gov. Ron DeSantis wants to keep lab-grown meat out of Florida.

Over the last several months, Florida legislators have been quietly working to ban — and criminalize — the production and sale of cell-cultivated meat across the state, via the introduction of two bills, HB 1071 and SB 1084. On February 6, the state's House of Representatives passed SB 1084, which now sits on DeSantis' desk awaiting a signature. And if his previous comments are any indication, he will be pulling out his pen soon.

"I know the Legislature is doing a bill to try to protect our meat," DeSantis said in February while visiting the South Florida State College Hardee Campus, according to CBS. "You need meat, OK. And we're going to have meat in Florida." DeSantis added, "We're not going to have fake meat. Like that doesn't work."

Cell-cultivated meat, to be clear, differs from traditional veggie burgers and meat alternatives like Impossible Burgers. As the Congressional Research Service (CRS) defines,

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The whole purpose of cell-cultivated meat is to decrease the methane emissions and reduce the resources needed to grow and raise cows for consumption, thereby skipping several steps along the way to improve the meat industrialization. I feel this is more of a lobbying effort than science-based effort in Florida to get rid of this, and that's the sad part about this.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I am not against lab grown meat at all and think that ultimately it is going to have a large part in our future food supply. The Florida state government unfortunately, like Texas, is full of backward ass country fucks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.