Reaction score
Tutorial : Fog Effects
~By Quauhtli~

Table of Contents:
1.First Words
2.Fog Effects
3.Other Special "Foggy" Stuff

1. First Words
I haven't really seen any tutorials (in thehelper.net) about fog effects, and I know some people really want to use them, so I decided to make a tutorial about it. This tutorial will explain what Fog Effects are, how to make them, and I will also show some special stuff that can create special fog effects, but not in the normal Blizzard Way.

2. Fog Effects
Before we start creating a fog effect, you might want to know what a fog effect is. A fog effect creates a colored fog in the entire map. You can make it in all the colors you want, but you might need to experiment a lot before getting what you actually want. Now lets start creating our fog effect:
First of all, you would want to see your fog, because by default viewing fogs is unchecked. Go to View, and then click Fog Effects (or press F, a lot faster)
TutFP1.jpg

Now, we want to create the fog. In my tutorial I am going to make a sort of "underwater" fog effect, which, how did you guess it, makes your map look likes it is underwater (as long as you use enough underwater doodads of course...).
Go to Scenario, Map Options and click the Use Terrain Fog button. Now, choose the style (Linear is the best in my opinion, because you can still SEE stuff, using the other two, the map will become hardly seeable...). After that choose how strong your fog will look.
TutFP2.jpg

Z Start: Z Start means how deep it becomes. (Around 3000 will create the fog very strongly up high, but if you click your mouse wheel button (if you have it), you will see the game camera, and now see that the fog is hardly seeable now.) I will use 500, because this makes it look nice from above, but also in "normal" camera (mouse wheel button).
Z End: As far as I know, the best way to describe Z End is "how bright your fog will be". I will use 3500 for Z End.
Density: Density is how dense your fog will be, making an underwater fog it isn't really that important. 5 will do.
Color: Finally, the color of the fog. Using the same way you make all other colors, choose the color. This is what my fog menu looks like:
TutFP3.jpg

This is what our terrain looks like now.
TutFP4.jpg

Note: To create that "special" underwater feeling, you can also add the Rays of Moonlight weather effect.

3. Triggering Fog Effects

If you would like to have a fog only after a while (and you do not have a fog already made like above) you can make it after a while. Example, you are walking in the ruins of a castle and suddenly somehow the world floods. Now you would like to create an underwater fog as above. Of course there would probably first be an event but afterwards you can do this.
Code:
Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 500.00, z-end 3500.00, density 5.00 and color (5.00%, 25.00%, 100.00%)
This sets the fog. Maybe then later after the rescue team has arrived from a boat above you would like to have no more underwater fog so you make the trigger
Code:
Environment - Reset fog to default values
Now that's how you trigger fogs.
This way you can have different kinds of fogs (STILL AS LONG AS YOU DID NOT MAKE THE MAP OPTIONS ONE) and reset it and make a new fog. :D

4. Other special "Foggy" things

Now that we have the other things, I will show something that I commonly use. This is unique in some way, because you can use it on different places, using different colors. There are only a few colors though, so remember that.
What I do is make a new doodad, base the doodad on something like Blighted Mist, and change the model to any of the Glowing Runes (found in the Doodads section). Now change the Default Size to 15.00 and the colors to somewhere around 50 (50/255). Now place a few of them on the area where you want them. This is what it will look like:
TutFP5.jpg

Note: elmstfreddie's way for making dark terrain (like dungeons) is by making Smoke Smudge and changing its size to big.

Note: This will not be really good for underwater scenes, but still it is handy if you need some sort of corrupted area which warlocks have cursed or something, as seen in the picture above.

Thanks for reading!
Quauhtli:cool:

I

IKilledKEnny

Nice Tourial, thanks for making it, I wondered for sometime what 'Fog's are.

Now I know :D

LordOglog

Reaction score
Tutorial

Nice tutorial:) I think you could have maybe added a bit more detail and told people how to do colours (some people might not know) and also maybe done a few more examples, I thjink you should have made the screenshots a bit nicer e.g. give them a border, but all together wery nice tutorial!

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
ill probably do those stuff soon, and btw thanks you guys for replying so quick, all my tutorials so far required a day or something before someone finally replied:D

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
>"Linear is the best in my opinion, because you can still SEE stuff, using the other two, the map will become hardly seeable..."

"Hardly" is good. :p

>"As far as I know, the best way to describe Z End is "how bright your fog will be"."

"When the fog will reach its full density"?

>"Density is how dens your fog will be"

(*dense)
It's not right anyway. Density changes actually nothing. :) (The only effect I know of is that it disables exponential fogs when you set it to 0 - useless :p)

Meh, Blizzard made a real sloppy job when it comes to fogs.

Quauhtli

Reaction score
I agree, they forgot about adding fogs to small parts (in my case I just used my "special" way, but that adds weird sparkly things that fly around (as seen on pic) and it has only a few colors).

Thanks for replying anyways, everyone:)

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Here are my comments:
1. Very nice input, though some mistakes:
Now, whe want...
Before whe start...
2.Good adding images.
3.It is a unique tutorial :)
4.Friendly, understandable speech.

Overall: 9/10.
Well done.

~Have a nice and comfortable day.

Quauhtli

Reaction score
I've also fixed my typos, its weird though, as in some places i had whe and some places i had we... maybe im crazy?:rolleyes:

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
>"Linear is the best in my opinion, because you can still SEE stuff, using the other two, the map will become hardly seeable..."

"Hardly" is good. :p

>"As far as I know, the best way to describe Z End is "how bright your fog will be"."

"When the fog will reach its full density"?

>"Density is how dens your fog will be"

(*dense)
It's not right anyway. Density changes actually nothing. :) (The only effect I know of is that it disables exponential fogs when you set it to 0 - useless :p)

2-P to the rescue! And Quauhtli please don't double post... Even if it is for bumps... :( Maybe I just hate seeing these kind of threads.

N

NuBy

Nice tutorial!!! i never knew that fog effects can be SO effective!!!

+rep

M

MoonRazer

Great Tuturial. I was trying to make some fog myself and this helped. i figured out how to do what i needed but now i know what the exponential/linear crap is.

But there is one thing i needed to ask about.

I agree, they forgot about adding fogs to small parts

If i understand what u are saying here,(u want to make a fog effect to an area of the map not the whole thing) then that statement is wrong. U can add a fog effect through triggers(using a weather effect) then simply change the coloring later on with another trigger(one that u have in your tuturial.) just wanted to put that in if anybody needed it.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Hey, I found some other way to make different darknesses in different places! You just edit the "smoke smudge" doodad so it's really big, and it creates a neat fog-like effect! I'm making a dungeon RPG (so it needs to be darker in places) and I found that when you do this, it will actually be more visible around your hero, but dark everwhere else. This is a good effect for dungeons n stuff! Try it out..!

Quauhtli

Reaction score
If i understand what u are saying here,(u want to make a fog effect to an area of the map not the whole thing) then that statement is wrong. U can add a fog effect through triggers(using a weather effect) then simply change the coloring later on with another trigger(one that u have in your tuturial.) just wanted to put that in if anybody needed it.

u can only add fog effects to the entire map or to nothing at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.