Gain invisibility through item?

Dimaspy

Reaction score
I'm trying to make an item which upon pickup gives the hero a "buffed" version of permanent invisibility. That is, I want it to work like a Scroll of Haste, but instead give the hero invisibility for 15 seconds (which could be broken temporarily as he attacks, then return to former state).

I apparently fail to do this on my own.

I would be able to trigger this, but it wouldn't look good among the other items I'm using in this way. If I need to trigger it, I would need an "empty" buffer. A buff lasting for 15 seconds which does absolutely nothing.

(Before you say "buffs can't do anything", I mean the abilities you can't see but the buff icon. Like I said, the Scroll of Haste.)

Hellohihi

Reaction score
Based it off the spell Invisibility that belongs to the unit Sorceress.

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Orb of Frost
    • Actions
      • Set Loc1 = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Loc1 facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Invisibility to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Sorceress - Invisibility (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Loc1)

Kuberr24

Reaction score
the problem with hellohihi 's suggestion is that AFTER you break the invisibility, you will not go back to invisible. However, considering your item only has 15 seconds of effect, i think that is not important.

Also one thing, instead of the "a unit acquires an item" you need " a unit uses an item" or "unit casts a spell"
for that to work you need, like you said, a spell that does nothing and doesn't leave a buff ---> CHANNEL is your friend!

Sonic

Reaction score
maybe you should use permanent invisible if you will break it it will get invisible again

Dimaspy

Reaction score
The thing is, the map I'm working on is fileld with activity and battle. So it would be pointless to have invisibility for two seconds, only to break it again. I want to have it so that the enemy vaguely knows where the attacks are comming from.

For a starter, I've added the permanent invisibility ability to one of my units. I've made it so it renders the unit invisible all the time, and it only gets visible for a tenth of a second as it attacks.

The thing is, I need this to be buffed and held for 15 seconds only.
This would've been so much easier if the invisibility humans can set off would have the option to return after attack..

Sonic

Reaction score
why just not to do like this?
every x seconds order dummy to cast invisible?

Hellohihi

Reaction score
Dimaspy,

Use the spellbook trick to disable the icon showing.

Add permanant invisiblity to the spellbook.

And then disable the spellbook ability for all players at the initialization.

When a unit picks up the item, you can add the spellbook ability to the unit and then remove it after 15 seconds.

The permanant invisilibty will still work but the icon will not show because it is hidden by disabling the spellbook.

And @ Kuberr24.

He wants the effect to happen on item pickup. Means event unit acquire an item is correct.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
why just not to do like this?
every x seconds order dummy to cast invisible?

It wouldn't work anyway.
Remember, I want it to be just like the other powerup items I have. Which means it's a single buff lasting for 15 seconds, rendering permanent invisibility. (Remember the flashing buff icon when playing, players must be warned as it will wear off.)

Sonic

Reaction score
Dimaspy,

Use the spellbook trick to disable the icon showing.

Add permanant invisiblity to the spellbook.

And then disable the spellbook ability for all players at the initialization.

When a unit picks up the item, you can add the spellbook ability to the unit and then remove it after 15 seconds.

The permanant invisilibty will still work but the icon will not show because it is hidden by disabling the spellbook.

And @ Kuberr24.

He wants the effect to happen on item pickup. Means event unit acquire an item is correct.

Why spellbook just remove the permanent invisibiity after 15 seconds because it doesn't have an icon

Kuberr24

Reaction score
It wouldn't work anyway.
Remember, I want it to be just like the other powerup items I have. Which means it's a single buff lasting for 15 seconds, rendering permanent invisibility. (Remember the flashing buff icon when playing, players must be warned as it will wear off.)
Ok, lets be clear on this:

Do you want the buff of permanent invis for 15 second to happen when you "pick up the item", or do you want the an item, that when you click on it, the effect will happen?

also do you want it to be a one time shot effect (so either the item is instantly removed when you pikc it up or the item has 1 charge) or do you want it be useable multiple times?

In either case, the best way to do this is, like sonic suggested is, make a trigger that gives perm invis, and then 15 seconds later removes perm invis. Depending on the questions above, you will need a certain "event"

Dimaspy

Reaction score
>Do you want the buff of permanent invis for 15 second to happen when you "pick up the item", or do you want the an item, that when you click on it, the effect will happen?
When I pick up the item. I use the "Use automatically when acquired" function.

>also do you want it to be a one time shot effect (so either the item is instantly removed when you pikc it up or the item has 1 charge) or do you want it be useable multiple times?
One shot, it's gone as soon as I take it, it never shows up in the item field.

>In either case, the best way to do this is, like sonic suggested is, make a trigger that gives perm invis, and then 15 seconds later removes perm invis. Depending on the questions above, you will need a certain "event"
Of course, easy as pie. The thing is then, how will I still have an empty 15 second buff which isn't dispelled when attacking? I have a slight idea about this though, if I should make a haste buffer, but remain at normal speed. This would however interfere with the other haste buffer I have.

Edit: Thinking about it, would it really? I'm going to try it out.

Hellohihi

Reaction score
Umm for the buff, just make a dummy unit cast a no-bonus inner fire or some other buff on him.

Dimaspy

Reaction score
Umm for the buff, just make a dummy unit cast a no-bonus inner fire or some other buff on him.

Obsessed with dummies are we? :)
I'm already using an item, could be involved there.

Doing some triggering, will tell the result in a few minutes..

Edit:

Worked out great, just have to add a timer to my triggers in case someone (most unlikely, but you never know) picks up the item twice within the timespan.

Thanks for the help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.