Game Startup Errors: May need a professional

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I've recently released a game on another website, and some people can play it perfectly fine like myself with no errors, while others are reporting the game crashes, or does not start, upon startup.

My Map Initalization is the only thing that I think could do such a thing (obviously cause it's part of the startup) and I only have about 5 sets of various things going on, all in GUI.

I'll be glad to post 'em if needed, but is there anything in particular that could cause a game startup failure? :nuts:

Thanks in advanced. :thup:

-Dregonx

Conal

Reaction score
Dividing by zero and infinite loops are the main causes of crashes.

Also, what world editor are you using?

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Dividing by zero and infinite loops are the main causes of crashes.

Also, what world editor are you using?

Normal World Editor. No Loops of infinity or dividing by zero.

I'm using:

Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Quest - Create a Optional quest titled How to Get Saved with the description This is how to get ..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNScepterOfMastery.blp
    • Animation - Play the hide animation for all doodads of type Banner Long White within Gladiator Intersection <gen>
    • Set OwnWord[1] = owned
    • Set PlayerColorText[1] = |CFFFF0303
    • Set DestructibleText[1] = |cffA9A9A9the Lovely Environment|r
    • Set GameModeNameText[1] = |cffA9A9A9Time Attack Mode|r
    • Player - Make Player 2 (Blue) treat Player 5 (Yellow) as an Ally with shared vision
    • Set AAILeafAvailable[1] = True
    • Set AAISandAvailable[1] = True
    • Set AAIHawkAvailable[1] = True
    • Set AAIAkatsukiAvailable[1] = True
    • Hero - Make Player 1 (Red) Heroes gain 1000.00% experience from future kills
    • Set GameLeader = (Random player from (All players matching (((Matching player) controller) Equal to User)))
    • Set LeafNinja[1] = Tsunade
    • Set SandNinja[1] = Gaara
    • Set HawkNinja[1] = Sasuke
    • Set AkatsukiNinja[1] = Deidara
    • Set TailedBeastType[1] = One Tailed Shukaku
    • Visibility - Disable fog of war
    • Visibility - Disable black mask
    • Environment - Set sky to Lordaeron Summer Sky
    • Camera - Lock camera target for Player 1 (Red) to Akatsuki Pillar of Selection 0112 <gen>, offset by (0.00, 0.00) using Default rotation
    • Selection - Select Akatsuki Pillar of Selection 0112 <gen> for Player 1 (Red)
    • Set ScorePoints[1] = 0
    • Set WarUnitType[1] = Spearsman
    • Set ShopVillageRegion[1] = Shop Village 1 <gen>
    • Set VillagerUnitType[1] = Villager (Male)
    • Set IronSandWO[1] = Iron Sand World Order 1 (Dummy Ability)
    • Set RisingTwinDragons[1] = Rising Twin Dragons - Kunai Dummy
    • Set ItemTypeGenin[1] = |cff00ff00Genin Helm|r
    • Set ItemTypeChunin[1] = |cffffcc00Chunin Helm|r
    • Set ItemTypeJonin[1] = |cffff8c00Jonin Helm|r
    • Set ItemTypeMissingNin[1] = |cffff0000Akatsuki Cloak|r
    • Set AAIMerchant[1] = Genin Merchant 0113 <gen>

That's to sum it up, because each of those I pretty much repeat for each player. Not using a loop, but individually.

Conal

Reaction score
Map init isn't necessarily the only cause of crashes.

Do you have any custom models imported?

Conal

Reaction score
Hmm...You could try isolating that problem to object data/misc by removing all your triggers and seeing if people still crash. I've heard weird cases such as simply viewing a region as well as object data causing crashes.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hmm...You could try isolating that problem to object data/misc by removing all your triggers and seeing if people still crash. I've heard weird cases such as simply viewing a region as well as object data causing crashes.

What kind of object data?

Also keep in mind, that this is a 50/50 case here, some people crash, others never crash, like myself. And even others can replay it over and over till it doesn't crash then they are able to play for some reason.

Conal

Reaction score
Object data such as...A non-human worker having human repair, a poorly made custom model, etc.

You really need to remove chunks of your map to find out what area the error is in. I do realize this may be difficult but it's the quickest way of finding the problem.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Object data such as...A non-human worker having human repair, a poorly made custom model, etc.

You really need to remove chunks of your map to find out what area the error is in. I do realize this may be difficult but it's the quickest way of finding the problem.

Is there any kind of numeral based data that could cause it? Like say having a missile speed of 100000000 for the sake of making it instant.

Conal

Reaction score
The cause of crashes is unknown to most people and vague at best. I have heard of numeric data causing crashes but I cannot remember what.

If you can narrow the problem down to the object data, you could easily go through and find suspicious looking techniques and remove them. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your time.

Edit: You could try searching for similar cases such as "loading screen crash" and similar thread titles.

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
The cause of crashes is unknown to most people and vague at best. I have heard of numeric data causing crashes but I cannot remember what.

If you can narrow the problem down to the object data, you could easily go through and find suspicious looking techniques and remove them. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your time.

Edit: You could try searching for similar cases such as "loading screen crash" and similar thread titles.

Alright thanks man I appreciate it. +Rep irregardless of what happens next :thup:

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score

Well I did make a loading screen that isn't 522 x 522 (or w/e it was) cause I don't have the proper resizing image program anymore, so I just threw it in at full like 1000 x 1000, and it still looked fine. Can that be it? Sorry if this seems a bit repetitive. (yeah just looked it up too)

I'm just trying to at least get the major "Chunks" that it could be out first before I start nickpicking, or chunk throwing whatever you want to call it lol.

Conal

Reaction score
I'd consider all imports a single chunk.

I don't think loading screen size would cause problems. I've used a single black pixel before (knowing that it would get stretched).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.