Technology Gene Simmons Threatens Anonymous, Responds to DDoS Attacks Against His Site

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Imagine if you made let's say a hotdog sandwich.You spent around an hour cooking the hotdog,preparing the sauces,etc.You leave it on the table to go to the bathroom only to return to find it missing.

You see your asshole brother outside with your hotdog which he just sold to some passerby for $40.Naturally you feel that your brother should at least cut you in with his profits right?

But of course he says "Fuck you.This is my money not yours" even though it was your hotdog that got him the $40 bucks.

He stole not only your idea but a possible source of income.

The thing is, you, the creator, still have infinite hotdogs left over even after your brother takes one of them to sell.

Zakyath

Reaction score
I don't see why people always seem to think that musicians are rich. Many of them put most of their money into their work, and more time than you'd ever spend on your, and when they release their music people will download it and tell them that they should go tour. That's just lame. Saying "we're not stealing, you haven't actually lost anything. You still have your songs." just isn't a good enough excuse. Yeah, there are some musicians that are rich, some who like to tour - but downloading is hurting musicians (and record stores etc.), you can rationalize all you want but it all comes down to that you don't want to give your well earned money to someone who won't even know you didn't want to pay them. At least have the balls to admit it.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Zakyath, how much is listening to a song worth?

Publishers are obsolete, music prices are inflated, and the RIAA can try and hold onto their pie all they want but it's not going to change the fact that big labels don't have many years left.

Society will adapt. Musicians will publish their own music, and with the superstars dethroned it will be a much more earnest industry.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Zakyath, how much is listening to a song worth?

Publishers are obsolete, music prices are inflated, and the RIAA can try and hold onto their pie all they want but it's not going to change the fact that big labels don't have many years left.

Society will adapt. Musicians will publish their own music, and with the superstars dethroned it will be a much more earnest industry.

Is that a reply to what I said? Because it sure hasn't got anything to do with what I said. You're talking about that the music business is changing. So what? That doesn't make something right.

I also have to add that it's very stupid of pirates to say they're not stealing. Saying "Crime A isn't equal to crime B, therefore crime A should be legal." just doesn't cut it.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
When given the choice of having the music for free OR paying a ridiculous amount for it. Which is 'right'?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Saying "Crime A isn't equal to crime B, therefore crime A should be legal." just doesn't cut it.
I've never seen that argument being used, it's a pretty easy flaw to find so it should be worthless in any kind of intelligent debate. However, the opposite is VERY common (see BANANAMAN in this thread for an example).
Eg, "piracy is stealing hence it should be illegal". As I think I've pointed out well enough by now it falls on the premise "piracy is stealing" but due to lots of peoples ignorance in law this argument is often used. Even worse, it can be reduced to an argument of "piracy is illegal hence it should be illegal" which is a logical fallacy.

Zakyath

Reaction score
I've never seen that argument being used, it's a pretty easy flaw to find so it should be worthless in any kind of intelligent debate. However, the opposite is VERY common (see BANANAMAN in this thread for an example).
Eg, "piracy is stealing hence it should be illegal". As I think I've pointed out well enough by now it falls on the premise "piracy is stealing" but due to lots of peoples ignorance in law this argument is often used. Even worse, it can be reduced to an argument of "piracy is illegal hence it should be illegal" which is a logical fallacy.

>I've never seen that argument being used, it's a pretty easy flaw to find so it should be worthless in any kind of intelligent debate.

I've seen it, and it's very stupid. The opposite is, of course, also a stupid argument.

>When given the choice of having the music for free OR paying a ridiculous amount for it. Which is 'right'?

A song can cost thousands of dollars to make, and takes many hours. And you think ~1$ to buy it is a ridiculous amount? I hope you mean ridiculously low.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
A song can cost thousands of dollars to make, and takes many hours. And you think ~1$ to buy it is a ridiculous amount? I hope you mean ridiculously low.
At least for famous music it's pretty high as they sell a lot of songs and the production cost is nothing in comparison to the revenue.

Also a problem is that at least 90% of music downloads are illegal. If all those people 90% would get their music legally the companies could make a 90% price cut (or 75%) and still make money. (I know those numbers are probably a bit off.) Never gonna happen though.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Yes, ridiculously high. Photographs can also cost thousands of dollars to make, yet I bet you'd find it ridiculous to pay $1 to see a picture (not own). Additionally, the transaction itself is a cost.

Zakyath, your mindset is outdated anyway. I don't know why anyone would download music illegally anymore, you can rip it off youtube (mostly legal), and for only $36/year I listen to as much music as I like off of pandora radio in high quality, no advertisements. Not only does it give me the music for that price, it also finds more music I like.

They're not even giving the artists the money (google). Thats how the law is, wake up. If musicians want to make a living, they need to publish their own music, either through the internet or live. If that doesn't work, tough luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.