Global warming - climate change - bullshit?

CatCat

Reaction score
Which side would you take?
1: GLOBAL WARMING HURR DURR
2: Global warming you say? Let's look into it...
1: Ok..
2: Hmm, the results and proofs say otherwise, here is another theory, that works, and sustained by proofs
1: GLOBAL WARMING HURR DURR ENVIRONMENT TERRORISTS DERP DERP DERP
2: Excuse me?
1: HERETICS, NAZIS RAWR

Now you're being a Hypocrite.....

If you can't respect others don't expect them to respect you.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Which side would you take?
1: GLOBAL WARMING HURR DURR
2: Global warming you say? Let's look into it...
1: Ok..
2: Hmm, the results and proofs say otherwise, here is another theory, that works, and sustained by proofs
1: GLOBAL WARMING HURR DURR ENVIRONMENT TERRORISTS DERP DERP DERP
2: Excuse me?
1: HERETICS, NAZIS RAWR

I'm positive I believe as you in this matter. Even though I don't know what that video is about. What I'm saying is that your attitude doesn't work in a discussion. Instead of saying "watch this video, because it's correct, and THEN discuss my opinions based on this single vid" try saying "okay, let's discuss this. I think this. I heard it from this vid and it seems reasonable, and a reliable source because the scientists in this vid are generally accepted, but media chooses not to blahblahblah. What do you think?".

You catch my drift?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
If we are going into the fact of "Global warming will end up killing us" let me make this point.

Do you honestly think, that we, as humans can predict our eternal downfall? Whether its by religion or not. Earth, or anything else for that matter. Will not just go ahead and give us clues on whether or not we will die as a race. The extinction of our race will not be something we can predict. It will be from something no one is expecting. So if you meet someone with a theory of "This will end us" blow it off. The thing that will ultimately destroy us will be something we do not expect.

Zakyath

Reaction score
>Do you honestly think, that we, as humans can predict our eternal downfall? Whether its by religion or not. Earth, or anything else for that matter. Will not just go ahead and give us clues on whether or not we will die as a race. The extinction of our race will not be something we can predict. It will be from something no one is expecting. So if you meet someone with a theory of "This will end us" blow it off. The thing that will ultimately destroy us will be something we do not expect.

What makes you so sure of that?

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
because every situation we have gotten in. We got so paranoid about it, we were able to either: Make technology better and overcome it, overcome it by passing down rules, or postponed it. Armageddon wont keep postponing itself, get fixed by technology, or have the human race adapt

Zakyath

Reaction score
just because previous predictions have been wrong, doesn't mean that all our coming predictions will be.

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
I have never believed in this crud. I don't want to incur a flame war, but I'd like to get some simple points across that everybody seems to forget:
  • The Earth is always changing. It's been through its Ice Ages, heatwaves, and I believe people were even vouching for a potential "global cooling" in the 1930s. It's a natural cycle. So far over here in the Northeast, it's been one of the coolest summers in quite some time.
  • That world conference on deciding what margin to keep the planet's temperature within is silly. An extension of my previous point, who are we humans to decide what is the "ideal" temperature of the planet? Just because we think the globe is getting too hot doesn't mean it is.
  • Archimedes principle. I may be missing something but I'm pretty sure this disproves (or at least lessens the effect of) rising sea levels. Sure, we may still have to worry about those Polar Bears stranded on the ice plates, but there's no need to pack up your bags and move to Nepal just yet.
It's not really this that annoys me though. I'm not completely discounting the fact the planet may be getting warmer, but people have to stop acting like such goddamn pessimists about it and blaming it on us.

Now if they'd stop starving countries in Africa (in order to fuel our vehicles with nuts and corn) and just outright admit "the climate is getting warmer", I wouldn't care. But all this media hype is driving me mad. I mean, have you seen some of the things people blame on Global Warming? It's downright moronic. :banghead:

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
It's not really this that annoys me though. I'm not completely discounting the fact the planet may be getting warmer, but people have to stop acting like such goddamn pessimists about it and blaming it on us.

Global warming have been a nature act every since the start of our planet, but the rate at which its changing, its not natural.
And so did some chicken or cow made global warming happen faster? no they couldnt have.
Every single one of us have contributed to the acceleratting change of global warming, and it should be up to us to slow it down to its natural rate once again.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
so its warmer then it used to be. its not like its going to obliterate us.

But if the paranoia advanced technology even more. Then go ahead and be crazy about it. Advancement in technology is good. even if it comes from paranoia

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
so its warmer then it used to be. its not like its going to obliterate us.

This thread is a great example of how people with absolutely no scientific knowledge can disagree with qualified groups of experts, and still keep a straight face (I assume you're not kidding).

Face it: you guys have no idea what you're talking about. This quote is a good example, as it displays a deep and vast ignorance about what climate change is all about.

When temperatures rise even slightly, things get messed up. Wikipedia could tell you that. But, you still assume that you know more than a majority of climatologists just from hearing snippets of conversations and buzz-words from other uneducated people. Sorry, people, you don't.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
As in obliterate. i mean insta kill. Its not going to just *snap* we all die from heat. We will die, but as i just said, it will not obliterate.

1 a: to remove utterly from recognition or memory
When people say, ITS GOING TO KILL US ALL ANY DAY NOW, thats a lie. It will happen in great numbers, but slowly.

Global Warming May Kill Billions This Century http://environment.about.com/b/2006/01/16/global-warming-may-kill-billions-this-century.htm

Hope that cleared things up.

Zakyath

Reaction score
This thread is a great example of how people with absolutely no scientific knowledge can disagree with qualified groups of experts, and still keep a straight face (I assume you're not kidding).

Face it: you guys have no idea what you're talking about. This quote is a good example, as it displays a deep and vast ignorance about what climate change is all about.

When temperatures rise even slightly, things get messed up. Wikipedia could tell you that. But, you still assume that you know more than a majority of climatologists just from hearing snippets of conversations and buzz-words from other uneducated people. Sorry, people, you don't.

It's much easier for you to label us as idiots, for not sharing your opinion, than to debate isn't it?

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Seb is so right. We are no experts. We can't understand this.

Personal opinion:
Maybe there CO2 is evil, maybe it is not. But we can't take the risk. If we don't know the long term effects of what we do we can't just wait and see.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
The entire Global Warming issue has essentially escalated to a point where it is entirely opinion on who to believe. You can watch the news and hear reports about how human generated CO2 is speeding up global warming, or watch videos on the internet about how it's all just a bunch of guess work or propaganda.

The problem isn't who is right, or even if everything is just a lie, the problem is what we as humans are doing to prevent impact on the Earth. The sad truth is we are doing absolutely nothing, we are in fact having negative effects on the planet, and corporations and governmental organizations are only doing enough to make us feel as if something is being done.

It's like rewards credit cards. Oil refineries are required to cut down on CO2 emissions and waste by 17% (something like that). With the reward card you get flier miles (or what have you) as you spend money. Sounds great, but you are paying 30% interest and you have to spend hundreds of dollars for very little "reward". Just an analogy. Pollution isn't changing, the only thing that is, is our perspective on it. And it isn't in a good direction.

However, the biggest problem, in my opinion, is that everyone is too busy telling the other side that they are wrong to instead spend the time and actually identify the problem. When this happens, you can't even rely on the credibility of sources, it gets all hazed and is nearly impossible to find any reliable information or proof on either side of the dispute.

My conclusion:

We certainly need to cut down on pollution, but we won't, and the only way we will ever plausibly prove if global warming is being sped up by humans is to wait 50 years or so.

Then again, the average temperature of the planet has gone up almost 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the last 100 years, before which it was very steady. But who am I? Just a college student, yeahhhhhhhh.

Warmachine

Reaction score
The simple solution is to try and clean up our act. No crazy drastic measures should be taken if they affect quality of life. But researching better, more efficient ways of making energy would be useful. Building nuclear power plants would reduce a good chunk of emissions, we just have to stop the crazy "OMG IZ GUNNA BLOW UP AND WE ALL DIE" propaganda. Research technology and techniques to make cars engines more efficient; Find a way to make hydrogen and/or electric cars practical; Build more energy efficient houses (appliances that use less energy/water, better insulation, etc).

All of those things would reduce emissions and not change our lifestyle for the worse. Why won't we do the simple things? Why do we insist on tackling all these big huge problems that aren't likely to be solved for decades?

I've seen many articles about technology that will store carbon or do other things to prevent this climate change. It's all bullcrap and should not be done. I'm not saying I want the earth to become like Venus, but human intervention with the environment is a no-no. Almost every time we try to "fix" things in nature, it completely fails. We just don't understand enough about nature and every variable. I don't care what a super computer says. We just don't know.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
There is no opinion that will change a nature.
The video is not just a source, it's the fountain of explained proofs.
I started the argument where we all think global warming is bullcrap. If he doesn't agree, he should not post.
And actually, I expect everyone to watch, even if you hate every minute of it.
I think it's every people's obligation to know the truth about such an important issue.

Allow me to step in and clarify something. There are always proofs on both sides that's why there is a disagreement the question is how you look on the proofs. While your video can represent "the truth" other video can represent other clear undebatable "truth".

While any member that joins a debate is asked to read a few sources before debating we can't force that. If a member in the debate doesn't seem knowledgeable ignore him or prove him wrong! That fact that you watched the video gives you an advantage!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.