Technology Google Fiber installations kick off today.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

The title says it all! After months of building a brand new Fiber infrastructure, we’re excited to announce that today we’re officially starting to connect homes in Kansas City to Google Fiber.

We’ve been working in a few homes over the last few weeks to make sure we can deliver a great experience, and along the way we’ve thought a lot about what “great” might mean. We want it to take the amount of time we (and you!) think it’s going to take. We want to be able to explain what we’re doing in easy to understand language, so it makes sense to you and it’s not just tech jargon! And of course we’re aiming for “one and done”—one visit, everything working when we leave your home.
There are two stages to getting you connected. First, we'll pull your Fiber from the street to the side of your house; we’ve already done this for several houses in Hanover Heights. Then we'll get in touch with you to schedule the second stage, your in-home installation. We’ve put together a short video to help you understand what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

nolabel

Reaction score
I live in Kansas City, MO so this is very exciting for me and believe me, I've had my eyes on this since it was annouced.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Why Kansas of all places? I mean it's fine, I am not hurting for it but I wonder why they chose to start there. Any thoughts? Is it just because Kansas is at the center of America?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Why Kansas of all places? I mean it's fine, I am not hurting for it but I wonder why they chose to start there. Any thoughts? Is it just because Kansas is at the center of America?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseackerman/2012/08/04/how-kansas-won-the-google-fiber-jackpot-and-why-california-never-will/ said:
“Why did we pick Kansas City?” Milo Medin, Google’s vice president of access services said. “We wanted to find a location where we could build quickly and efficiently. Kansas City has great infrastructure. And Kansas has a great, business-friendly environment for us to deploy a service. The utility here has all kinds of conduit in it that avoids us having to tear the streets open and a bunch of other stuff that really differentiates it from other places in the country.”

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Thank you!

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Sigh, why not Southern Africa:(, I'm jonesing for some fast internet that won't cost
me an arm and a leg... and possibly my soul

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Well, It's certainly not worth losing your arm... Just saying

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh, why not Southern Africa:(, I'm jonesing for some fast internet that won't cost
me an arm and a leg... and possibly my soul

There needs to be a big, very technology-oriented company in your area that has a large market share and a very strong incentive for fast internet from the consumers. It also needs to stay stablized for at least 10 years to come. Once you have that minimum requirement met, things will swiftly go into hyperdrive from there. Unless, South Africa isn't like Kansas City, where the infrastructure is more suited for implementing out the big construction.

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
It's... difficult here, simply because the government does not have it's priorities straight.
Currently it's all-for-one and none-for-you situation. Our only telecommunications company
(or I should say the company that holds the monopoly on telecommunications) is going under. How that happened is beyond me but internet quality has been slowly imporving over the years. I mean, in 10 years we've gone from dial-up to 10mbps dsl lines. It's just very costly as the stuff comes out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.