Discussion Goth's High

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I added the first three comics, re-done with the borders and text to that post with all of the others... They were a pain in the ass because of all those bloody lockers and writing in the back -.- Annoying...

Anyway, more comments are always enjoyed...

Don't forget about that thread in the Humor Zone. That one's open to the public, so I'd appreciate it if someone other than me bumped it once in awhile :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
New crew art, with a new cast member! :eek:

Kenny's the black dude on the left, and he's a good friend of mine from school. I have a lot of uses for his character, too, because we have a very insulting relationship :D We take a lot of cracks at each other, based upon our stereotypes. (He's black, I'm goth, etc. etc.) He's also got a cult :D Though he refuses to admit it... You'll learn more about that, later on...

There's still ANOTHER entire BATCH of characters being talked about for being added to the strip... Me and Chris gotta go over it a few more times, I think, but you might start seeing the Grim Reaper and a few picks from Norse mythology :)

<Photobucket link removed. Please visit www.pwnedlist.com/gothshigh to see the new cast page there>

Lord_Kakashi

The Wabbits are attacking
Reaction score
>picks from Norse mythology ...

YaY! the vikings are comming. :)

And btw.. i like the comics, although i didn't think it was super funny..

but thats because of my sense of humor.. :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Lord_Kakashi said:
>And btw.. i like the comics, although i didn't think it was super funny..

but thats because of my sense of humor.. :)

*Shrug* They're not always meant to be "crack up and fall on the floor" funny... I read a lot of online comics that don't make me laugh, but I enjoy reading them. Though, those usually have more of a storyline than Goth's High, which is mostly "kill, maim and laugh" humor :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
On redoing your comics, the little text bubbles need a lot of work and so does the border around the comics, just letting you know :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
Like how so? :D You just pulled a "Rad" on me... Critism, hold the constructive -.-

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Ha. Pft. A "Rad". I guess anything I bring up that doesn't mention the details automatically means it isn't constructive.

You should be able to see it. Just LOOK at it. Or is it the creator's bug? :p

Anyway, since you want all the details that I see....

The border is way too thick and, more importantly, the widths keep changing, which is beyond odd. These are the only things I can mention about it, because the border would look fine otherwise.

As for the text bubbles...ouch. Your comics have the sketch appeal, so give them the sketch appeal in their text bubbles. You're giving them the paint-made text bubbles with all the flat lines and weird stuff. They look fine in some parts of the comic, but most of the time look bad.

You might want to try new techniques for the text bubble. I know some comics that I like try using soft-edged text bubbles that fit very well with their cartoony look. I also know many comics that just write the text and draw the line to the character and based on how the text and lines are drawn, a different look can be achieved.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
The border is way too thick and, more importantly, the widths keep changing, which is beyond odd. These are the only things I can mention about it, because the border would look fine otherwise.

That's just because I'm basing the borders off of the borders that were in the sketch. Sometimes they were wider or thinner. Not to mention, it also depends on the way it was scanned. So... It's hard to get "perfectly measured" borders for all 13 of the comics...

As for the text bubbles...ouch. Your comics have the sketch appeal, so give them the sketch appeal in their text bubbles. You're giving them the paint-made text bubbles with all the flat lines and weird stuff. They look fine in some parts of the comic, but most of the time look bad.

Well, for the text bubbles, that's really on the only style I have available to me... The circles are a HUGE pain in the ass to do because I have to find a way to make it fit. With the rounded squares, I can simply place the square and then write in it.

The text, however, can be a little better... Maybe Comic Sans would be a better font? I'll try it next time.

You might want to try new techniques for the text bubble. I know some comics that I like try using soft-edged text bubbles that fit very well with their cartoony look. I also know many comics that just write the text and draw the line to the character and based on how the text and lines are drawn, a different look can be achieved.

Eh, I might change the text bubbles so that it's just a line going down to the character talking, but I'm always going to use text bubbles... I tried not doing them for one or two areas in some of the comics (in writing, that is) and it made the entire panel very confusing. Hated it. Never again.

NEVER!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Well, new one... For the touch-ups, I used the Comic Sans text and I think it does look a bit more comical. Also, I increased the width of the lines in the text bubbles, which I also think looks better, but hey, you tell me :D

<Photobucket link removed. Please check www.pwnedlist.com/gothshigh for the new comics>

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Much better. You might want to touch up the sketch part though, cause now it looks dull and only the text stands out.

DM Cross

Reaction score
All I have is Picasa2 to edit stuff... So here's what I got.

<Photobucket link removed. Please check www.pwnedlist.com/gothshigh for the new comics>

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Nice, looks even moreso better. The text of the TV has even more apparent odd grains around it though...it shouldn't have any.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Actually, they all do... I just need to give enough of a damn to write over it again :D :rolleyes:

Next time I'll use Picasa to sharpen the stuff first, and then do the text and borders...

But at least it's improving over time :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Goth's High Team!

Believe it or not, Goth's High is now a team project! :) Here it is:

Storyboard and plot: Kevin Pinaha
Art: Chris Gonzalez
Graphic arts (Touching up the comics with Photoshop) : Sarah Lyman

WOO for the professionalism of it all :) Some of you might know this, but there's already a forum up for it. We're awaiting for the comic page to get up, which should be tomorrow around 8pm, so pretty soon, that's going to become my main project :)

-Edit-

Oh, yeah, and I'm buying a domain name for the forum :) It IS an invisionfree forum, but so far, it's doing it's purpose :)

Right now, this is the url: www.z14.invisionfree.com/goths_high if you wanna check it out.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the addition of talent to your project! Creative endeavors such as yours often attract helpers.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Thanks... It's really kick ass how we all happened to do something that connected... Chris' art has always been better than mine, and me and Sarah are the better writers. However, I guess I've got the better sense of humor, since Sarah never even really wrote a comic for us. And I just found out that she wanted to be a part of the team and she has photoshop... So it all just clicked.

Kinda creepy, even :D

I'm just going to have to find something else to draw now, lol!

Eventually, we want to branch out and add the Comic Book That Has No Name to our project list, and if we do other things (our individual writings) we might just ban together to call it all works of "Sinner's Inc."... Don't ask, I used it to fill up space with the Rock You Like Uh Hurricane comic, and Chris got hooked on it :p He even wanted the forum to be called Sinner's Inc.com, but I told him no, since it's not FOR sinner's inc. ... It's for Goth's High.

Anyway... Yeah, we may eventually have a SinnersInc.net :)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When things start clicking like that you start looking at reasons such as fate - but really it is just the beginning of a TEAM. Teams are focal for success and when like minded people get together that compliment each other's talents great things can happen. I wish you all the best of luck.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Rewind and Do it Over!

Heeey, guys. Some more Goth's High news that I thought you guys might be interested in... If you don't kill me first :D

Me, Chris and Sarah are actually starting the entire project from square 1. We're going to follow a story line with them now, and the old comics are either going to be tossed out, or we're going to wait until they fit into the plot to have Chris redraw them.

The ComicGenesis page I was waiting for is probably going to take another month to get up and running, so you'll have to do without comics until then :( But when we do start it back up, rest assured that the new comics are going to be even better :)

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
No! The old ones are awesome... :(

I love the jokes in them, I'd hate to see them tossed out...

DM Cross

Reaction score
XXXconanXXX said:
No! The old ones are awesome... :(

I love the jokes in them, I'd hate to see them tossed out...

Like I said, there's a good chance we'll re-use them. As a matter of fact, going along a new storyline, I've managed to add in the one of Chris' where he glues me and Sarah to one another, and in the next one I write up, it'll be the one where I light Chris' hair on fire for revenge for the glue thing.

Ta da! :) Recycled comics. They're just going to be in a better art style, and colored! YO ME GUSTA COLORS! WOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.