Tutorial Guide for Buildable Gates

storgaard

Reaction score
Hey, so after a long holliday, hundreds of threads i think im ready to share the way i found, ive seen meny other answer the same questions as me,
so i hope this will help!.

Step 1 making the units: First you make 1 unit based on the human unit farm
with change this: Abilities-none, grund texture=none, game interface= what ever you like,art modeloodads\LordaeronSummer\Terrain\Gate\Gate.mdl
Recruied animation names:stand, art- shadow textures=ShadowStoneWall1
colision size:20,Pathing:magical pen wall and last placement recruies:grund pathable.

Now you go down under EDIT sufrace and post this into the field:Buildable Horizontal.

After this you got youre first unit, you now copy paste it into 6 units.

all with the name Gate but after go down and edit sufrance,

this shuld be the 6 names

Gate Buildable Horizontal
Gate Buildable Vertical
Gate (closed)(Horizontal)
Gate (closed)(Vertical)
Gate (Open)(Horizontal)
Gate (open)(Vertical)

after that you go into youre units and edit the despriptions so their fit do what the unit do. after that you change so that all that dosnt got the name Buildable Into it, you will change build speed to 1 so that they will open/close nearly instantly, you shuld also remove the gold/lumber cost of them, since it shuld´t cost to open close a gate

Now you go into the units called (open)((Horizontal or Vertical))
and go down to Colision size and change it to 0
than you go to pathing - Doddads- Mushrooms>base< birds>base<..............
this is importent, since Mushrooms dosnt have a pathing, but its still a pathing. this is because if you try to upgrade a non pathing into a pathing youre game will crash.

after you have done this to both youre (Open)
you upload the file under this thread caled "vertical gate" You import this, restart World EDIT and put it into the field called Models in youre 3 gates called Buildable Vertical,Open vertical, and Closed Vertical.

now you add the 2 "Builable" gates to a worker.
than you go into upgrades to under youre buildable horizontal gate and makes it upgrade into youre Open horizontal gate, after you do so that youre open horizontal gate upgrades into youre closed horizontal gate, and youre closed horizontal gate upgrades into youre open horizontal gate.

you repeat this with youre Vertical gates(so it upgrades into the open,closed version of vertical gate.)

after you have done this you make this trigger:
Trigger:
  • Gate trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes an upgrade
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Gate (Open)(Horinzontal)
        • Then - Actions
          • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)&#039;s Death Alternate animation
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Gate (Close)(Horinzontal)
        • Then - Actions
          • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)&#039;s stand animation
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Gate (Close)(Vertical)
        • Then - Actions
          • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)&#039;s stand animation
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Gate (Open)(Vertical)
        • Then - Actions
          • Animation - Play (Triggering unit)&#039;s Death Alternate animation
        • Else - Actions

and hopefully, youre gate shuld be working, if it dosnt tell me, because i might have made some mistakes in my guide ;)

at last i wanna say thanks to all those who have helped me on helpernet with coming this far :)

Attachments

• GateVertical.mdx
    21.5 KB · Views: 495

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Well... Some things here that can make this a little better.

Well, first off, you uploaded the gate model, not the map :p
Second, there are a lot of grammer errors. This is a common one that people make every now and again.
youre gate shuld be working
Take of the e and you're fine, because you're means you are. You are gate should be working :)
Don't worry, everyone screws up the english language.
Last, the trigger would be better off only having the person need build 2 gates. A horizontal closed and vertical closed. Add an ability which opens / closes it.
If you don't know that, you should look up on how to make a trigger enhanced spell.

It seems you have everything together, just... Grammatical errors and a trigger that can use a little work.

storgaard

Reaction score
Well... Some things here that can make this a little better.

Well, first off, you uploaded the gate model, not the map :p
Second, there are a lot of grammer errors. This is a common one that people make every now and again.
youre gate shuld be working
Take of the e and you're fine, because you're means you are. You are gate should be working :)
Don't worry, everyone screws up the english language.
Last, the trigger would be better off only having the person need build 2 gates. A horizontal closed and vertical closed. Add an ability which opens / closes it.
If you don't know that, you should look up on how to make a trigger enhanced spell.

It seems you have everything together, just... Grammatical errors and a trigger that can use a little work.
I know i uploaded the Model... that was the whole point mate ;) and to the thing about using abillties, i have been working on that and more ALOT but i havnt find a way thats better than this, and belive me ive used so godamn much time trying all sort of ways

Mandrilx

Reaction score
I made a quick vertical pathing that you can use for such gates if it helps anyone:

just import into the map and use. Select it in the pathing field, it is just like the magic pen wall pathing but vertical for use with buildings, units and such.

Attachments

• 8x2VerticalGato.tga
    66 bytes · Views: 408

storgaard

Reaction score
I made a quick vertical pathing that you can use for such gates if it helps anyone:

just import into the map and use. Select it in the pathing field, it is just like the magic pen wall pathing but vertical for use with buildings, units and such.

Hmm, nice but i already posted one under my post?^^

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
No, his is pathing. Its so you cant walk through a gate.

Heres some feedback:
1.Please make it more "Appetising", so better looks, all of it isnt ordered very neatly.
2.You dont have to restart World Editor. This is only if you want to see the file IN WE
3.The Lack of punctuation, grammer and spelling does not appeal to me, please fix this.
4.Nice Idea, loads of people are always wondering how to do this kind of thing.
5.Test Map?
6.Explain why you're doing things such as triggers.

NuQ

Reaction score
Edit: After Doing a little work on it, I was able to make the gates work(even addded a diagonal one.) Check the demo map to see.

This is pretty smooth, I like it.

Attachments

• Gates.w3x
    24.3 KB · Views: 424
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.