Hit By Phoenix Fire Event

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'd like to make a trigger that fires when a unit is hit by a custom Phoenix Fire ability. Namely, I'd like the ability to do 0 damage, then deal damage via trigger, since I can specify the damage type.

So what event do I use for this? Does it count as casting an ability, even though it's passive? Is it starts the effect of an ability maybe?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Spell cast events don't trigger for phoenix fire. You'd need to detect when damage is dealt (vJASS system, GUI system) with the condition that the damaged unit has the buff which is placed by your custom phoenix fire. Of course, you'd also need to remove the buff in that trigger or else the event would fire whenever the target was damaged while still under the effect of phoenix fire's DoT.

millzy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
why do you want this when it does no damage as well do you want a spell to be casted on a nearby unit every x seconds or somthing?

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
Couldn't you just have the buff last 0.1 seconds and have a periodic buff-checker trigger running at 0.1 second intervals? It'd make sure you only get damaged once.

Goober4473

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
@millzy: I want the damage to be Pierce type damage, not Spells type, so that armor types affect it as they would any other Pierce attack.

I have a damage detection system, and I could just set the Phoenix Fire damage to 0.01, but I couldn't figure out how to differentiate between the unit's normal attack and the Phoenix Fire attack. If I used "<specific unit> Takes Damage" as the event (which the damage detection does; it just adds every unit as an event), would the buff already be in place? Otherwise a periodic check would be the only way, I'd guess.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
what weep said should work. phoenix fire places a buff. i dont know whether your damage detection system will detect 0.00 damage dealt but maybe you can fix it with a little effort.

when damage is dealt to a unit and the unit got the phoenix fire buff remove the buff immediately and run the actions of your desire.
and dont worry about whether the buff is placed or not when the projectile hits its target, negative buffs (dots) count as damage as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.