How do I detect secondary targets hit by the Chain Heal spell?

Marsmallos

Reaction score
What the title says. I am making a system that is supposed to show the amount healed when a unit is healed. Is it possible to detect the secondary targets of chain heal? Otherwise I'll have to trigger each jump but I don't see how that will work since each new lightning wave will emerge from a static point if it is cast by a dummy, even if the unit it is supposed to look like it emerges from is moving.

Does anybody have any experience in fully triggering chain spells like Chain Heal and Chain Lightning with dummy units with the purpose of displaying the healed amounts with combat text, and still make it look good?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i really dont know if the event "unit takes damage" works for heal as well because healing a unit is basically the same as dealing negative damage. i know that this event works fine IF you are dealing negative damage through triggers but i dont know if it works for standard wc3 healing spells.

if it doesnt take a look at this.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
i really dont know if the event "unit takes damage" works for heal as well
It normally does not, but does if the healing spell is set to do negative healing (which harms the target).

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
the easiest way would be to have a dummy spell that creates a dummy unit own by neutral host that cast a chain lightning over your target with 0 damage and then use a damage detection system to detect the target and then set the hp + your healing amount vai triggers.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
the easiest way would be to have a dummy spell that creates a dummy unit own by neutral host that cast a chain lightning over your target with 0 damage and then use a damage detection system to detect the target and then set the hp + your healing amount vai triggers.

which would be pretty hard since he dont know how to detect the target:nuts:

you might need to costomize it as shown in the trigger above (link)

polo2005

Reaction score
whats so hard about it? sounds pretty easy for me...

give me 5min and i will create a trigger...

Edit: okay took more than 5min D:

Attachments

• chain heal.w3x
    19 KB · Views: 308

Marsmallos

Reaction score
whats so hard about it? sounds pretty easy for me...

give me 5min and i will create a trigger...

Edit: okay took more than 5min D:

wow, that was a really smart and really cool method, I might end up using it :D The problem though is that the units run away when hit by it, since they believe they are damaged. Do you think that could be fixed some way?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
they only run if they havent gotten any other order, so you could just give them the order to hold position or move to their position whenever they are hit by that spell.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
wow, that was a really smart and really cool method, I might end up using it :D The problem though is that the units run away when hit by it, since they believe they are damaged. Do you think that could be fixed some way?
Using the same approach polo2005 posted, I'd recommend replacing the Chain Lightning spell with a Healing Wave that has negative healing (as I mentioned above), which should automatically prioritize bounces to units that need healing (while Chain Lightning would hit units with full health). If you do so, you also then need to change the dummy unit to be created for the owner of the triggering unit in the On cast trigger. Those changes should keep the targets from fleeing and provide a better healing setup.

If I may indulge in a little self-promotion, I'd also suggest adopting my GUI-friendly damage detection system, which would let you avoid having to make triggers equivalent to spit 1 and spit 2 for every damage-detecting spell that you make. :)

polo2005

Reaction score
Using the same approach polo2005 posted, I'd recommend replacing the Chain Lightning spell with a Healing Wave that has negative healing (as I mentioned above), which should automatically prioritize bounces to units that need healing (while Chain Lightning would hit units with full health). If you do so, you also then need to change the dummy unit to be created for the owner of the triggering unit in the On cast trigger. Those changes should keep the targets from fleeing and provide a better healing setup.

If I may indulge in a little self-promotion, I'd also suggest adopting my GUI-friendly damage detection system, which would let you avoid having to make triggers equivalent to spit 1 and spit 2 for every damage-detecting spell that you make. :)

lol negative healing wave is brilliant :O
wounder why i didn't think about that^^
(isn't it always as that?)

Btw, is it rly worth to inport in your system if you are only using damage detection like... once?
Wouldn't that take up more space then just using 2 triggers as "spit 1 and 2"?

Attachments

• chain heal.w3x
    18.9 KB · Views: 327

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say importing weeps system is definitely better since you cannot generate a fully leakless damage detection system with pure GUI. in GUI event leaks cannot be avoided when making such system.

more over weeps system isnt really a big shot when it comes to file size or performance used. and damage detection systems are most probably among the most needed in any map.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.