How do you do pathing for custom units?

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
I've been working on creating large units and buildings for a custom campaign and have worked out how to work the selection scale and scaling value attributes.

However, when I edit the collision size and change pathing to none which gets the unit collision right in the editor, it crashes the game when I attempt to build the building. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I have read the pathing tutorial but it was confusing and I couldn't find where the '.tga' files were located)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It crashses because when you build it checks which building pathing your building has. Since you set it to none it means that it "can't" be built, so it crashes, because it means that you can't place that building. But you still placed that building, which isn't allowed by a pathing set to "none". Set its pathing to something fithing, like Castle or Town Hall.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Well, the custom pathing map tutorial isn't rocket science, makes life easy if you have photoshop, thats what i use for .tga files. Anywho, if that works use photoshop to make a pathing map that is walkable n what not... Otherwise, use something very small like the "zone indicator(custom campaign)"

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I already tried using the 'custom campaign' pathing but it didn't work. I'll let you know if I get the pathing tools from the 'tools and utilities' selection working. The screen shot reminds me of a similar tool for the game 'total annihilation' and just as confusing, but who knows.

Update:

I tried dowloading WinMPQ but internet explorer said the 'page cannot be displayed' so I have no idea what to do about that. In other news, I'll now try finding a copy of photoshop to use like you suggested.

Update:

I will eventually get back to trying out all the tools, but thanks to uni, I'll probably only have time after my exams.

The Pigeon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Update (21st Nov 2007):

Still got an exam to go, but I thought I'd make a update anyway. There appears to be a problem with the custom pathing turorial. The WinMPQ link only gives a "Problem loading page" page. No idea why, I've never used these kind of tools before so I've got no idea what to do. There's also the problem of finding a GMAX tutorial site. I tried googling it a year ago to find a useful tutorial, but it took 3 full days so I gave up. Still, as with all things with the warcraft 3 editor, if at first you don't succeed, try again...

Would anyone be able to point me to a useful GMAX tutorial site?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.