How do you feel about map protecting?

Are you in favor or against map protecting?

• I think map protecting is a good idea most of the time.

Votes: 50 53.8%
  • I think that map protecting is really dumb.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I think that map protecting is rude.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I think that everyone should protect their maps.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 19 20.4%

• Total voters

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
My real question is, why are you guys even bringing DoTA up? DoTA doesn't need to be protected ever whatsoever, the popularity of the map and site keeps that game protected quite thoroughly, nobody will just download it off of some random guy on B.NET, and assume its the newest version.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
the only reason why dota is protected is cuz they need to optimize it for both preformance and loading times lol, protection from vex's optimizer is just a nice side effect that it has

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yeah we can kinda drop Dota because no ones gonna spread a modded version. And what are the odds as well as they protect it that someone could unprotect it.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to there own oppinions and while yes it may be somewhat selfish of you to feel that way. I believe after working on it that long it deserves to be protected.

There is another point. But really people would go find the original if they thought it was rigged. Only the person who riggs a map enjoys it.

And there is a pearl of wisdom from a drunken clown *points to your avatar* There's no way to tell if people will like it before you even let em try it first.

Thats why i said "RELEASE A BETA FIRST" .. :thup:

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I think map protection is a good idea (even though, as Strilanc said, it doesn't really work :p), because if you put alot of time and effort into making a fun, balanced map, can you honestly say you won't care if someone comes along, steals the credit for making the map, and turns it into an unbalanced heap of sh*t?

And if people play this 'new' version, without ever having played the real version, what are they going to think of the map, and would it give them a reason to play again? Very unlikely, assuming it was made into an unbalanced heap of sh*t.

Helping people learn and whatnot from unprotected maps is good, but can you be sure they are actually going to learn from the map, or just take bits here and there and chuck it into their own map?

Matrix

Reaction score
I think that protecting maps is sucks.
And I just optimize it and optimizer protects it. =(

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
you guys you have to admit no matter how much you hate the thing when you release a map and someone takes it over early and it gets big (like kodo tag) you'll be pissed royally tho as i said they should make a program that you attach to a map that makes it read-only cause i love to look at maps.

lol and while i am on the subject of kodo tag i saw the most ingenious hacker he made a trigger that made kodos miss 100% of the time on green player lol then he was green so it didnt look host hacked lol and the other trigger he added was a mask to cover the miss effect (you know the words) lol i respect that he didnt just go in there and change it lol like noobs doo he hacked pro if there is such a thing

also someone was talking about you join a good game and its hacked lol well ballence it out again lol hacker dont change a shit load they do what they want and thats it lol so it its so host hacked change it back lol and play it

also everyone know that hackers dont come here lol they arnt interested in makein maps just making them easyer so this post is talking to map creators the people that say they dont want it are ether those that are talented and genoris which if you have a problem with map protecting make one yourself and dont protect it or talk to someone who made it lol

i have a unprotected virsion of Waugriffs Cot Rpg and i dont host it lol cause i got it from the guy via email and told him i wouldnt i use it for read-me purposes only

the other people are those who dont know anything if you want a trigger ask dont goo looking at someone who sweated to make the trigger try your own if all maps where unprotected why would we need a forum

:p

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
Map protection is silly to me. The only reason why you would want to protect is so people "Can't Steal Credit"

Who cares if people steal your map. It doesn't effect you, you aren't making money off the map.

really also are you going to sit on w3 ex. what ever for the rest of your life are people going to come up and ask you how hard it was to make an rpg 50 years from now hell the only rpgs i really know the makers are Definace and Cot... idk who made Dota lol it was probibly a team

sorry people i have a split oppinion on this :banghead:

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
I have spent well over a year making this one map. I know it may seem like a rediculously long time, and I agree. I, however, have had a good time creating it. When I release it, I of course have very high expectations, as the amount of time I have spent creating it is extremely high. If by some chance it become one of the few highly played maps, I want to be known as the person who made it. Ya it seems selfish but honestly I want to be seen and be known as the person who made that map, not some jackass that changed around the load screen! Whether popular or not, I will protect this map because it is mine and what little recognition I get is what I deserve, and some guy was going off about "it's not like you will make money off of it" well if you look at sites such as dotastrategy.com and you see those ads - that is a large amount of money right there. I want that to be mine...

i agree and if pop means so much to you protect it but once your names known release the unprotected vr so people can give you credit not just for the map but how you did it

quraji

zap
Reaction score
I'm a strong believer in keeping things open-source. I'm also a strong believer in the mapper's right to protect their map from tampering.

We all know why open-source is good, so I'll skip it and tell you why I think people have the right to, and should protect their maps.

1. The most obvious reason, credit. Someone can easily take credit for your map.

2. If you're trying to get your map played on battle.net, unofficial versions of your map can really screw that up, even if the person that modified it gave you full credit. How do you expect your map and version to be popular if people are hosting modified versions to be rigged, changed, etc. Not only is it confusing to the people trying the map, it's just annoying to have to make sure every time if it's the proper version.

3. Saying maps should be unprotected so that people can learn from it is kind of lame. We all know the majority of people don't want to learn from maps, they want to add a trigger to level up their hero or whatever. The people who are interested can easily come to a forum like this and ask.

That said, I believe that if your map contains elements that would be useful to mappers, like system codes and whatnot, then you should share it. This way people can "see how you did it" without actually getting the map to modify themselves. Everyone's happy :thup:

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm a strong believer in keeping things open-source. I'm also a strong believer in the mapper's right to protect their map from tampering.

We all know why open-source is good, so I'll skip it and tell you why I think people have the right to, and should protect their maps.

1. The most obvious reason, credit. Someone can easily take credit for your map.

2. If you're trying to get your map played on battle.net, unofficial versions of your map can really screw that up, even if the person that modified it gave you full credit. How do you expect your map and version to be popular if people are hosting modified versions to be rigged, changed, etc. Not only is it confusing to the people trying the map, it's just annoying to have to make sure every time if it's the proper version.

3. Saying maps should be unprotected so that people can learn from it is kind of lame. We all know the majority of people don't want to learn from maps, they want to add a trigger to level up their hero or whatever. The people who are interested can easily come to a forum like this and ask.

That said, I believe that if your map contains elements that would be useful to mappers, like system codes and whatnot, then you should share it. This way people can "see how you did it" without actually getting the map to modify themselves. Everyone's happy :thup:
Thats a good point. While less convient to the learner. People can get just a seperate map with what they wanted inside it from the original maker. And the maker still gets his feeling of confert from protecting his map.

I still though won't ever protect my maps just because I'd rather be the nicest I can be. If someone needs my map enough to steal it and not mention me at all. Then its probably better that way. Maybe they will eventually get an interest to learn from what I did.

Chewbalka

Reaction score
when i began creating maps i looked at some dinasoure map when your suppose to make a base and last X amount of time without getting killed by a dino, but when i opened it it had like 200 triggers and i couldent understand any of them, i would be able to easily create it now but then it was hopeless to look at anything more advanced then a meele map with added cheats lol.

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
quraji's got alot of good points i also listed lol but im too tired to write an essay ttyl im asleep! out..

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
when i began creating maps i looked at some dinasoure map when your suppose to make a base and last X amount of time without getting killed by a dino, but when i opened it it had like 200 triggers and i couldent understand any of them, i would be able to easily create it now but then it was hopeless to look at anything more advanced then a meele map with added cheats lol.
Lool yeah the good old days when we felt amazing for changing models on units and their names. :p

Do you still by any chance have that dinosaur map? It sounds enjoyable to me. :)

quraji

zap
Reaction score
Lool yeah the good old days when we felt amazing for changing models on units and their names. :p

I remember StarEdit a long time ago when I was a nooblet*. Going over to my friend's house and being like

"Dude, look!" (makes trigger to spawn units)
"Wow, that's awesome!!"

*arguably still a noob ;)

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
I've made my share of maps, and I stopped protecting them over time. As of right now I just insert small modification detectors in the code, so people get a warning if the map has been modified.

I've only ever had one map "stolen" (splash defense in sc), and it's because I didn't even put my name on it. After that there's wc3 baseball, which has been modified by a bunch of people, but it still shows my old name at the start. I also made Storm the Fort for starcraft (an AOS like DOTA), with absolutely no protection, and the most popular one is still the last version I released ~a year ago.

My guess as to why my maps aren't stolen is that I like to make them code-heavy. Most people just don't have the ability to work with maps like that. The changes people made to baseball are... almost sad. None of the bugs were ever really fixed.

Someone mentioned Vex's optimizer. It's a nice system, but it doesn't block additions. Instead of changing existing triggers you just create new one that gives you a million gold or creates items conveniently close to you.

Carl-Fredrik

Reaction score
Okay I think I've said too much already and I doubt anyone will read all that. >.>

I read it all! *Proud* :p
Anyway.. I think map protecting is good in the most cases. I protect my maps, mostly because IF I would suceed making a popular game it would be annoying if there were like 10 unptorected older versions that people can go into and add cheats and fix the new functions so that nobody notices any difference ^^

Bah.. I can't be arsed to write more, look at Zerox's post ^^

Zerox

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I read it all! *Proud* :p
Anyway.. I think map protecting is good in the most cases. I protect my maps, mostly because IF I would suceed making a popular game it would be annoying if there were like 10 unptorected older versions that people can go into and add cheats and fix the new functions so that nobody notices any difference ^^

Bah.. I can't be arsed to write more, look at Zerox's post ^^
Hey Carl what's up. :D Thanks for reading it all. :p And I guess thats a good point. Maybe just don't release unprotected versions except the way way earlier beta.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.