How young is too young for children to play video games?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a little brother who is 3. He always loved to play racing games, especially Need For Speed: Underground game.

I'm curious to know, how old should children be in order for them to play video games, without others worrying that he would become addicted to video games?

Looking at this article here, it mentioned that kids at seven or above should be allowed to play video games, without harming their learning ability.

But, it would garner more questions than just answers. If you were to switch sides with me, and you have to face the little brother's behavior toward video games, what is your decision?

Last edited by a moderator:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I've played games since I can remember. My grandfather had bought me an old computer, that could play a Star Wars game and Midtown Madness which I loved. Also the SNES. And now, I'd say I'm good. I never got addicted though. Probably also depends how you bring up the child.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
if video games were not allowed for kids than why are there games made for toddlers that help them learn (if it does so)

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
They do help toddlers learn >;(
I can testify =)

No, I'm not the toddler in question, my cousin is, lol.
As long as the video games do not make him violent or illiterate, it should be all right ^^

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean the contents of the video game, I agree.

If you mean after playing video games, and having to face a violent or illiterate toddler behavior, think again...:rolleyes:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
it mentioned that kids at seven or above should be allowed to play video games, without harming their learning ability.
I guess they're right.
Seriously, they will have lots of time playing video games in their life.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Aha, Need For Speed 1 was the first game I played. Those were the days, :)
Any age the kid can play games is old enough.
I don't think they even understand complicated games when they play sometimes, so it doesn't really matter. Just give them a controller and they will be happy pressing buttons, not knowing what's going on.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I grew up with games since I was able to play them, they taught me more than what schools and my parents did, so...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'd personally keep children away from video games until about 13. They need to learn to have fun in the real world playing sports and actually having a physical activity. Before 13 it is way too easy for them to build up a dependence and view games as the only means of fun.

I see this happening too often these days. Kids grow up on games and that is their only means of fun...in turn they are obese before they reach high school, suck at sports and are way too lazy to even go out to the park to play them.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Don't think it matters unless you just leave your kid infront of computer for hours.
Everything under 30minuts I'm sure won't do any harm.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think there is really an age.. but the games need to be suitable for the age, and the time should be kept to under 2 hours a day or so (maximum time, not average)

i guess maybe it depends on your definition of "game", but I would say computer chess is a video game, and that would be suitable for a 5 year old or so
maybe you can even get some easy/young educational games for younger kids, preferably with like a large touch-screen instead of a mouse/keyboard tho

I don't know need for speed, but racing games are probably ok for younger kids as long as it doesn't encourage them to run from cops/crash/drive recklessly/etc. - I would say games like Mario kart are ok for young kids, but like I said, I don't know need for speed so I can't say anything about that

as far as your question of "without others worrying" - I don't think others will worry too much as long as he does other things as well, but that depends on who the other people are more then the age/game does

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Oh, yeah it is. Kids get into it so easily and it really helps develop some of their skills (like their brain and hand-eye coordination).

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'd personally keep children away from video games until about 13. They need to learn to have fun in the real world playing sports and actually having a physical activity. Before 13 it is way too easy for them to build up a dependence and view games as the only means of fun.

I agree with Sqrage 100% here. Mostly because it was a mild case myself. I played video games, and played WoW hardcore as a teen, hardcore for yearsssss. Then, when I got a bit older, I started getting out more. My life was so much better when I started getting out and doing stuff and being social, and I barely even play video games anymore.

I just think people should be more social in life, it helps with a lot of things that should be taught or learned in life.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Oh, yeah it is. Kids get into it so easily and it really helps develop some of their skills (like their brain and hand-eye coordination).

No, thats what stuff like soccer and sports are for. ;)

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
I dont honestly believe a 3 year old can handle a game like NFS..

It depends on what games are played.
A toddler playing GTA? Enjoying killing and stealing?.. For me that's sick and wrong.
Children cant take those in properly.
For teens/adults it may be a form of stress relief but for children I dont see the point.

Personally I started playing when I was like 6 or 7. I was going in pre-school by then.
I hanged out at my parents' office for half the day (because we lived out of the city-ish)
And the people there taught me to play Super Mario in DOS.

I learned most common DOS commands by then... and I got interested on computers.
I even handled most MS OS's from DOS, Win 3.1 (i think), 95...

But I've learned how to program from Wc3, got also into digital arts and other stuff.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
also me. :D. I think video games are an outlet for a lot of people although i dont think young kids need an outlet for their lives yet ._.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.