HP Computer Red Light Switch Problem

Ryuu

I am back with Chocolate (:
Reaction score
Hello here.

My computer is model dx5150 MT, and whenever I on the switch, a green light comes up, then red light replaces green light.

Screens:

...then...

The red light just keeps flashing after that, and nothing happens to the computer.

Can anyone help? +rep given!

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Please check inside your manual what that flashing red light means and post the cause here in case you still need some help.

Ryuu

Reaction score
Lol.. my computer is an old computer (not really old, 3-4 years approx.) and I think I lost that manual.

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Is this your comp?
hp-dx5150-microtower-pc_400x400.jpg
If so, does this help?:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12105_div/12105_div.html said:

• Number of 1-second blinks (red LED) Diagnosis - followed by a 2 secondpause/ repeat:
  • 2 = Processor Thermal Protection Activated
  • 3 = Processor not installed
  • 4 = Power Supply Failure
  • 5 = Memory Error6 = Video Error
  • 7 = PCA failure (ROM detected failure prior to video)
  • 8 = Invalid ROM, bootblock recover mode

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
And what does all those number means?
You are supposed to count the number of blinks. It blinks according to this pattern:
Number of 1-second blinks (red LED) Diagnosis - followed by a 2 secondpause/ repeat:
So if it blinks 3 times before the 2 second pause then it means that your processor isn't installed.

Ryuu

Reaction score

Lol, I turned on my computer to count the number of blinks when this crazy thing happened:

I pressed the button, and a HUGE 'pop' sound came out from the computer, and my house's electricity was entirely cut off, I had to turn them back on.

Then about a minute later I could smell something burning but I could only smell it if I opened the case and smelled inside.

I opened the case, and nothing inside seemed to be burning, so maybe it had something to do with the power supply unit (PSU)? Is the voltage of the PSU the culprit of why my computer 'exploded'?

EDIT:
Great, now my computer cannot be turned on. For once, I actually wished the red light would come back.

enouwee

Reaction score
Looks like you fried your power supply. If you have a spare one, you can swap it and see if any other components, especially the mainboard, suffered some damage too.

Ryuu

Reaction score
enouwee said:
mainboard

motherboard? I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Personally I think its only the PSU, I'll change it and see how it goes. If it still does not work I'll change the motherboard (that's gonna cause a hole in my pocket)

Ryuu

Reaction score
Its about 10 months now and I haven't saved enough money yet.
I was wondering are all PSU sizes the same?

enouwee

Reaction score
No, although a majority of all desktop PCs use standard ATX power supplies.
See here for a list of various form factors: it's either ATX or SFX, depending how your case is built.

Ryuu

Reaction score
So how do I determine what type of PSU is my comp's one?

xxartanisxx

Reaction score
easiest thing to do is just to type in your comps model number and type on google u should be able to find an online owner's manual go through there

Ryuu

Reaction score
Oh no, it's okay already.
I finally went about changing the entire system.

Motherboard, PSU, sound card...
everything, except the casing.

Much thanks for you guys.
:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.