I broke something... again

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
**Da sovietled.**

Right. After my first battle with the horrible av.exe virus, I was victorious.

So now I caught it again. Ugh. These drive-by viruses are the annoying. So I went into the registry and found some key for av.exe. Being the fool I am, I deleted it. Now every time I try to use a program, I get this.

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

I can only run things without "protection from potential malicious behavior" now. Real annoying.

Halp?

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Some viruses change the association for .exe files in the registry to themselves. That way, they act as a wrapper for any user-space .exe file that gets run (similar to how a Trojan virus works).

You will need to edit the registry and remove the invalid file association (it's probably in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, or any of the user-specific overlays in the registry, or do a recovery install of windows using the windows CD.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Sadly I edited the registry and now every time I open a file it wants to know why the 'checker' file doesn't exist.

I was hoping there was an easy fix. 'Twould be nice to know what the default .exe association is.

EDIT:

Fixed. Malwarebytes can do anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.