iexplore.exe problems - Virus or glitch

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
For starters I would just like to point out that I know iexplore.exe is an official Microsoft process for Internet Explorer. Then why, may you ask, am I posting this?

Well because lately my computer has had slow times when all my CPU is taken up and it lags. Most of the times, it's something called iexplore.exe .

At first I thought it was just my internet messing up. I figured that'd be it. But recently, it bugged me because it was continuing to slow my computer down. My computer normally doesn't lag like this, and my internet hasn't changed.

So, I look once again into the Process tab in the Windows Task Manager. Of course, there is the old iexplore.exe . But this time, I noticed that there were two of this process. I end the process that is taking up all the CPU, and using a lot more memory than IE should ever use. Weird... IE is still running.

So, there are a few possibilities with this.

1) A random bug and there are ways to fix it.

I have a few theories on this - But I'm pulling them outta no where.
2) When opening multiple browsers there are multiple iexplore.exe processes. Sometimes it just lags bad?

Well, thats possible. I doubt it, though. You see, it is true that when opening multiple browsers of IE, more than one process is crated. Disabling each one of these processes closes a window.

But wait, when I close the problem causing processes, there is only ever one IE running. Not only that - But it closes nothing. This ties into the "Bug" thing, but also could be...

3) It's a virus or spyware/adware of some sort.

That would explain the problems, but of course it doesn't mean it is a virus. It is possible - A google check on it says there are viruses under that process name (Of course to fool the user) - But I still don't know what to think. Virus scans show nothing, and I haven't noticed anything but it taking up all my CPU once in a while.

This problem doesn't happen too often. But, I don't like the possibility of it being a virus or something. It could easily be not a virus, just as it easily could be.

This post is jumbled, but if anyone has ideas or knowledge of similar problems like this then please say so. Basically I'm asking if it's a simple problem or a virus of some sort.

Have a good one.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's a virus because I had the same problem. ¡It's very annoying! it eats up most of your Memory, just get an antivirus and remove the program.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
I just scanned my entire computer using AVG free and nothing came up. Is there another free program you would suggest? The holidays has drained my funds. :p

Rad

Reaction score
Since its internet explorer related, its probrably defined as spyware/adware. Meaning you need AVG Anti-Spyware

http://free.grisoft.com/

Theres both antivirus and antispyware

You might also try Ad-Aware http://lavasoft.com/ When it asks you for the type of subscription, click cancle to enable the free edition (You don't get any features, only scan and delete)

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
Spybot Search & Destroy to remove it, would be my suggestion.

I've had some problems w/ things like these. I had a virus that ran as msnmsgr.exe. Took me a looonnnggg time to figure out what was causing problems, and I guess it uploaded a ton of files from My Pictures to somewhere, cus I've been running across a few things I made or photo'd myself on the internet.

H

HBtheOnly

And also, swap to firefox, it's free, blocks 99% of ads and doesn't get that virus (which I got before I formatted).

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
>>and doesn't get that virus

Don't even get me started on how much I could argue that statement. ;)
(Not to mention FF freezes for me, and despite many attempts of troubleshooting, nothing can get it to work)

I have tried many of the programs you have all suggested - None of them have shown the results I needed to remove. I will keep on trying a few of the programs (Especially Hijack This), and if nothing can help I'll have to try a few alternative methods. In the mean time, I'll just continue ending the process.

Thanks everyone for suggesting programs. :) I was looking for a few good programs like those for a while now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.