If you use GoDaddy... (rant)

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
If you use GoDaddy willingly for it's intended purposes; you have no idea what you are doing. No exceptions.

I write this so bluntly to get your attention, it is true, but that doesn't mean you can't improve. Back from before I was an adult, I had domains registered under my father with GoDaddy. They are the only website I know of that progressively gets worse as time goes in. The prices increase, the spam increases, the interface gets more awkward, more annoying, slower... I constitute logging into GoDaddy for whatever reason with the same ineptitude as shoveling shit.

Today I logged in as a domain of mine expired. I checked the domain, selected "1 year renewal" said NO THANKS to all the spam, and my subtotal was $80.00. They had my domain down for 2 years, another domain down for 2 years, and doubled the price automatically for "Private Registration".

I retried, same result. I had to search for "Advanced Domain Settings" just to renew a single domain, this is ridiculous. On top of that, they give me no way to remove the Private Registration from my order. To remove the private registration you have to write domainsbyproxy and you have to be the account holder -- which I am not.

This is just today's experience with GoDaddy. It took me 2 years to transfer another domain because of all their stupid rules and my reluctance to put up with such. Off the top of my head...
  • If you unlock a domain, you cannot modify it at all for 48 hours.
  • If you change the contact information, you cannot transfer for 3 months.
  • If you're privately registered you have to email DomainsByProxy, use the account holder's email address, and hope they care.
  • Warning; many edits you make to your domain may take several minutes and may not even apply.
  • Their support is useless.

If you have any self-respect, please stay clear of GoDaddy. I personally use http://domains.steadfast.net/ , which comes with everything you need including DNS. Hopefully one day I will manage to extract the rest of my domains from them... one day.

About Private Registration; for those of you who don't know, private registration means they technically own your domain, and can seize it at any time say you're accused of copyright infringement. On top of this; private registration makes it very difficult to transfer domains to another provider. This is hardly a feature, you should not pay for this.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I use namecheap, GoDaddy never appealed to me from the start. If namecheap ends up being gay, I will probably go to an Australian one (crazydomains) or go to the one you mentioned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.