Im getting a new computer..Need Help

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Things like defective memory shouldn't slip past quality control. Maybe these people placed "rush orders" or the company can't keep up with year-end orders.

I had more of less the same problems earlier this year. First, the mainboard was dead-on-arrival and (after sending back RAM, CPU and mainboard), I ended up having a defective RAM module. Total delay: 3 months.

Reaction score
jeez man. Alright, unless we find something amazing and better for about the same price, im going to stick with this one.

Rad

Reaction score
In the three computers I've custom built and the two I've purchased I have never had any RMA problems whatsoever from newegg. The only problem I've had with any product was an open box 20" LCD, with one minor scratch on the screen that isn't even noticeable when its turned on. It was only $150.00 regular $245.00 so I'm not complaining.

Don't worry about faulty products until it actually happened, reading reviews about people RMA'ing stuff can make you paranoid.

Reaction score
so if the comp says "Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800" and "64 bit Dual Core Processor"

How many gigs of ram can i add?

enouwee

Reaction score
so if the comp says "Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800" and "64 bit Dual Core Processor"

How many gigs of ram can i add?

Up to 8GB, assuming you're using 4 x 2GB modules. As mentioned in a previous post, you'll need either a 64bit OS or have to enable PAE for 32 bit versions (both could have a negative impact on software/driver compatibility). Otherwise, you're limited to 3.2GB.

As for the defective parts, it doesn't matter where you buy them: the failure rate depends on the manufacturer, not the online shop. Unless there are shady deals going on behind the scenes (e.g. pay more to get parts with higher quality tests), NewEgg is as likely to ship you a dead-on-arrival RAM module than any other dealer.

Reaction score
but since its already a 64 bit dual core processor, dosnt that mean i can have more than 3.2gb? And if i want 4 gb of ram, can I add another 2x1GB of DDR2 800 ram to the other 2gb that are already installed?

enouwee

Reaction score
but since its already a 64 bit dual core processor, dosnt that mean i can have more than 3.2gb?

The 64bit CPU allows you to use a 64bit OS and the 64bit OS to address more than 3.2GB RAM without tweaks/hacks. See here for another quick discussion on 64bit Vista.

And if i want 4 gb of ram, can I add another 2x1GB of DDR2 800 ram to the other 2gb that are already installed?

Yes, assuming you're adding the same kind. If the computer contains CL4 RAM modules, you might have to switch timings to CL5 to ensure a stable system. Not a big deal thou, as the performance loss is hardly noticeable. That's what I did, although I could use them in CL4 with a higher voltage.

enouwee

Reaction score
do you know if the computer i wanted has cl4 ram modules?

I doubt it (not stated anywhere and most components are mainstream - not exppensive high-end: we're talking about a $1200 PC, not a $4000 one), but it's hard to say, as even the CyberPowerPC doesn't give any technical details about the RAM modules in its configurator.

If you really want that additional RAM, ask NewEgg to insert two identical modules.

enouwee

Reaction score
how? just call them or what?

Yes, either send them an email or call them. They'll tell you whether its possible or not.

Other solution: order the RAM later, after taking a look inside the box. There's probably Corsair Value RAM inside, given the configurator defaults. Disadvantage: you'll be paying the shipping costs twice.

enouwee

Reaction score
is that computer in that link the same in the one on newegg.com?

No, it's not. It's a configurator. You choose the parts you want inside your box and they assemble it. Yours is a holiday special, preconfigured from the one I linked to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.