It keeps going from mdx to mdl!!

ZophtX

Reaction score
I finally got TFT and i tried importing a model that i downloaded a Demon Knight and when i put the correct paths in and change the art of a diffent model the model path keeps changing to .mdl from .mdx.:banghead: why is this doing this and how can i change it from doing this. when i try put the model in the map it keeps say DemonKnight.mdl is not found! it show this black and Green checker cube and when i test the map the model is their but it is invisible:confused:.

i might be asking a noob question but i tried many things to try to get it to work like add the model to the .wpq file usein WINmpq program. that didnt work so my last result is asking you :p:eek:

hgkjfhfdsj

Reaction score
try restarting world editor >> most of the time when you import a new model you have to restart the editor in order to see it in game
as for the mdl to mdx > i think thats normal (i could be wrong) >> does not mdx work for you?

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
It should become a .mdx not .mdl try what hgkjfhfdsj said else try looking where you downloaded it for some readme.

ZophtX

Reaction score
try restarting world editor >> most of the time when you import a new model you have to restart the editor in order to see it in game
as for the mdl to mdx > i think thats normal (i could be wrong) >> does not mdx work for you?

did that like 10 times :confused:

the file is a mdx. and what i have heard the mdx is the binary and the mdl is the text/ of it so would i need the binary cause when i look at the other models like the death knight mode l path is say it is a mdx unlike the model tht i downloaded it turn into mdl >< and i cant change the ath to mdx cause it doesnt change ><

bLu3_eYeS

Reaction score
Look how it goes.You need just to import it and set the path good, restart the editor after.
After restarting the editor , give the unit the model you just imported.(RESTARTING IS NECESSARY)
It changes from .mdx to .mdl automatically. It will display like a green and black box in the editor but its working in game.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The mdx -> mdl path changing is automatic, it's just one of the odd details in the editor.

The model is not displaying in-game because you probably did not put the correct paths on the textures used by model, or did not import the textures at all (talking about custom ones) or the model is corrupted.

If you don't know what are these textures I am talking about, please take a look at this tutorial.

As a note: paths on the model do not matter at all. If somebody else is saying that it does, they have no idea what are they talking about. I have worked with models a lot and I know that it doesn't matter. Paths on the textures, however, matter a lot. They make the difference between a fancy unit in-game and an invisible one, with a weird shadow under it :p.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Blade, he said that the unit does not appear in-game too. That thing with restarting only has to do with viewing the model in the editor.

I think he is missing textures or did not set correctly the textures paths =/.

DuelPlayer

Reaction score
He either does not have enough textures, or import wrongly, or there is a bug in triggers or object editor or the model simply dont work or the model takes restart in computer to load.

Bankde

Reaction score
Blade, he said that the unit does not appear in-game too. That thing with restarting only has to do with viewing the model in the editor.

I think he is missing textures or did not set correctly the textures paths =/.

Yes !! Your answer is right. :thup: Sometimes you copy/export model from other map. And you forget "THE SKIN/TEXTURES". Though the texture is in .blp (Same as icon) but it isn't icon. You need to set path of that skin, too. The path of that skin should be the custom path.

Here the example : units\creeps\ForestTrollTrapper\ForestTrollTrapper.blp

PS: The website you download it should have the solution. :shades:

ZophtX

Reaction score
i sorry for this conflict. but i find out the problem. i forgot to take off the "\" chacter from the .blp path. and that is why it kept not working. i wasnt sure that it was or wasnt suppode to change to mdl. i thoght that was a bad thing. now i know thanks for you help and time.:eek:

\DemonKnight.blp -- my path
DemonKnight.blp --- tha right path

i didnt notice that i left that until last night. my bad.:eek:

oh ya.. in the #1 post the blue lettering with a underline is a link to where i got the model.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.