Laptop has massive wireless problems ><

warcraft7

Reaction score
Where to start...

The Wireless doesnt automatically turn on when the PC turns on, i have to jam on the button when its booting up and hope i hit it at the right time for it to turn on.

After that it will randomly shut off after some time and i cant turn it back on.

I have updated the drivers as much as i can, and i have gone into the network connections and have tried to enable it but it doesnt want to be enabled(if it even shows up sometimes it can't detect anything)

Its an old HP(better than my current laptop though ><) and it has windows 7 on it. any suggestions or tips? ive already run multiple virus scans as well on it and nothing is detected

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the hardware is bad.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I'll take "Crapped out wireless cards" for 500, Jerry.

No, seriously. Look into replacing your wireless card. Or get an external for a cheap test.

How "old" is it? Not under warranty? I don't think Wireless Cards are that expensive but if it's old enough, well... You can either continue to spend money trying to fix errors as they keep cropping up or get something that won't have errors for a few more years. What's the lesser of two evils, ya know?

warcraft7

Reaction score
sh*t...forgot about this thread, i think i fixed the problems, i just uninstalled the drivers and re updated them to the highest.

i would think the computers from 5-6 years old at this point

DM Cross

Reaction score
While I'm glad that it's working, I'll say this: I don't think that's a permanent fix. Drivers don't just "go bad" so fixing the drivers really shouldn't have fixed anything UNLESS somehow the drivers were changed to create the problem. I run into this all the time at work... Unless the part wasn't working correctly in the first place but was getting by until it finally failed, drivers don't just magically stop working.

Unless you got some Windows/MS Patches that maybe made the old drivers no longer compatable. That's another possibility.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm glad that it's working, I'll say this: I don't think that's a permanent fix. Drivers don't just "go bad" so fixing the drivers really shouldn't have fixed anything UNLESS somehow the drivers were changed to create the problem. I run into this all the time at work... Unless the part wasn't working correctly in the first place but was getting by until it finally failed, drivers don't just magically stop working.

Unless you got some Windows/MS Patches that maybe made the old drivers no longer compatable. That's another possibility.
The hard drive might be an issue if the drivers really "turned bad" all of a sudden.
If he deleted them and re-installed it might very well be that they are now stored at a different position on the disc. And the old position was damaged due to a physical hit or something.
If the laptop is that old, the hard drive is as well. And they are very fragile.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Ah, true. Good point, I'm not used to working with Laptops, we don't have them at my job. Didn't think of the physical damage possible to the HDD.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.