List of recommended Windows/Mac/Linux applications and software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is up for consideration as a sticky.

I just want to give it some more time to mature. CPU-Z is not for overclocking. It tells you your specs and a few other things. I'd throw in PC Wizard.

My mistake. Checked Wikipedia, and it shows "System Provider/System Monitor program". Are they the same? And also, added PC Wizard.

Added and changed.

i dont see how daemon tools is freeware when there is a "buy it" for each of it's versions except the toolbar.. but w/e

and can some1 plz put a spoiler tag on revolver's post (or revolver if your reading this)

also i forgot one for making bootable disks (or any other kind, but i like it especially for bootable ones- isorecorder

Added yours. And fixed Daemon Tools.

An excelent IM program is Digsby, it combines AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook chat, to name a few. It has networking updates for Facebook, Myspace and Twitter. And Email notifications for MSN, Yahoo, Gmail, and AOL, and of course POPmailing.
-Freedownload Manager. For those who download things alot, or have to download from tedious sites. Can download from links in clipboard, or a selection of links, all links, convert audio and video files, and even download from torrents, and much more.

Added.
i use meebo instead of digsby, it's pretty much the same except in a browser

and for anyone using skype, i highly recommend getting a google voice (formerly grand central) account (there may be a waitlist, but it's worth it)

Added yours.

DAEMON Tools Lite

Fixed.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Windows Application:

Ultra Video Converter [Shareware] - The ultimate converter. Converts almost anything.. Even from Video to Audio format.

VirtualDub [Freeware] - Free Video Editing Software.

Audacity [Freeware] - Free Audio Editing Software

Mix Craft [Shareware] - Your ultimate recording software. Let's make beautiful music together <3

Flashget [Freeware] - Best download manager ever. Supports torrent and emule. Integrate with firefox using Flashgot add-on.

FileMusicZilla [Freeware] - Download MP3, FLV, SWF, etc. from your favorite sites. The list includes Imeem, Playlist, Youtube, LastFM, etc.

I also use PuppyLinux and DamnSmallLinux.

EDIT:

SopCast [Freeware] - Free P2P Internet TV. This is where I watch PacMan's Boxing Match Live..

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
Windows:

Any video converter [Freeware or Premium] - Can download youtube videos. No trial for free version, free version lasts forever. Premium lets you convert into PSP format and Ipod format.

Input formats:
avi, asf, mov, rm, rmvb, flv, mkv, mpg, 3gp, m4v, vob, YouTube videos and more
Output formats:
avi, mp4, wmv, flv, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, mpg (PAL or NTSC), mp3, wma, ogg, aac

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Windows Application:

Ultra Video Converter [Shareware] - The ultimate converter. Converts almost anything.. Even from Video to Audio format.

VirtualDub [Freeware] - Free Video Editing Software.

Audacity [Freeware] - Free Audio Editing Software

Mix Craft [Shareware] - Your ultimate recording software. Let's make beautiful music together <3

Flashget [Freeware] - Best download manager ever. Supports torrent and emule. Integrate with firefox using Flashgot add-on.

FileMusicZilla [Freeware] - Download MP3, FLV, SWF, etc. from your favorite sites. The list includes Imeem, Playlist, Youtube, LastFM, etc.

I also use PuppyLinux and DamnSmallLinux.

EDIT:

SopCast [Freeware] - Free P2P Internet TV. This is where I watch PacMan's Boxing Match Live..

Windows:

Any video converter [Freeware or Premium] - Can download youtube videos. No trial for free version, free version lasts forever. Premium lets you convert into PSP format and Ipod format.

Input formats:
avi, asf, mov, rm, rmvb, flv, mkv, mpg, 3gp, m4v, vob, YouTube videos and more
Output formats:
avi, mp4, wmv, flv, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, mpg (PAL or NTSC), mp3, wma, ogg, aac

Virtual Box - Open Source Virtual Machine

I think this is in the same area as virtual box.

Teamviewer - Professional screen share and file share.

All added, changed to fit their usages.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Oh yeah.. I have a typo with FileMusicZilla... It was supposed to be FreeMusicZilla.... Sorry...

Whisky

Reaction score
Here are some more windows tools..

MediaCoder: Probably best freeware audio/video converter out there

anyTV: Totally free internet tv, has channels from over 100 countries

AlZip: Extracts almost everything. Newer version are shareware, but you may be able to find one of the old free versions.

PC Booster: There is no words to descripe how useful this program is for everyone. It makes your computer easily 300% faster and allows you to customize your crappy windows to a best OS ever. It is shareware and the trial version is not much of a help, but luckily it is protected extremely badly *wink*

IrfanView: Wonderful freeware tool you can view/customize everything with, but mainly used with pictures. Why isn't it mentioned yet? :eek:

ExploreXP: Allows you to find all the hidden files in your computer. You can remove also the annoying ''Acces Denied'' and ''Cannot delete, file maybe in use'' files with this handy freeware tool.

BSPlayer: Useful lightweight dvd/video/audio player. Comes with a good support for subtitles. Shareware, but has unlimited free trial version.

PSPad Editor: Freeware programmer's tool. You don't need anything else but this.

SpyHunter: Show me a spy/adware this program can't get rid off, and I will show you a Elton John's girlfriend. Sadly you must purchase it first..

IZarc: King of all the extracors. But that doesn't change the fact that AlZip has cuter mascot.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
notepad++ - replaces notepad completely, also very useful for some general programming, it has it's own tabs and all

and

wireshark - helps resolve networking issues by showing you all network traffic, can capture/sort/etc.

Whisky

Reaction score
And here are some Mac apps..

Adium: Great IM application for Mac. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, GoogleTalk all in one beautiful freeware program with open source.

Quicksilver: This wonderful freeware tool lets you start applications and just about everything else with a single tap of your finger.

Miro: The Swiss Army Knife of all the Mac applications, except it's free and open source. With this beauty you can watch any video format, download torrents, save videos from youtube and watch podcasts.

AppFresh: Automatically updates all your programs, and it's free.

Writeroom: If you use your mac for writing, you must have this. Sadly it's shareware..

xPad: If you can't affort Writeroom, download this handy freeware texteditor.

Camino: Fast and stylish web browser. ''Mozilla power, Mac style'', that's what it promises.

Parallers: Allows you to run windows programs at full speed with your Mac. Simply the best windows emulator, but it costs a bit.

Q Emulator: Best free windows emulator, but you need a high end computer to make it work correctly.

Burn: Burns DVDs, VCD, and SVCD. It's free and open source.

Handbrake: DVD ripper with some basic video converting abilities. Free.

xTorrent: Wonderful free bittorrent client with integrated search.

Transmission: Another great free torrent downloader with open source.

Xee: Fast, free and lightweight image viewer. Basically the IrfanView for Mac.

Seahorse: Gimp for Mac, it's even based on it.

KisMac: Best free WiFi scanner for Mac. Open Source.

Unarchiver: Seems to be the only decent freeware extractor for Mac.

Onyx: CCleaner for Mac and it's free.

Suggestion: Maybe you could add a note after those windows programs that can be used in Mac or have a Mac version? (Like Firefox, OpenOffice, VLC, uTorrent, MediaCoder, Skype, Google Earth, Opera, etc, etc..)

PS. How isn't this a sticky yet? :eek:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
xmarks - browser favorites and username/password syncer (cross-browser)

also, maybe just at the top sort it into windows/mac/both category's and then do the sub categories after that

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize for the waiting. I am busy recently...:(

Here are some more windows tools..<snipped>

Done.

notepad++ - replaces notepad completely, also very useful for some general programming, it has it's own tabs and all

and

wireshark - helps resolve networking issues by showing you all network traffic, can capture/sort/etc.

Done.

And here are some Mac apps..<snipped>

Done

xmarks - browser favorites and username/password syncer (cross-browser)

Added.

also, maybe just at the top sort it into windows/mac/both category's and then do the sub categories after that
I will do that, after I can nudge a free time in my tight schedule. Please keep a lookout for it.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated:

- Added Firewalls section
- Everything is in alphabetical order.
- Still trying to plan how to set up the Windows/Mac/Linux combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.