Looking to replace GPU Cooler, need advice

LiVam

Reaction score
Since I purchased my PNY Verto Geforce 8600GT a year and a half ago, it's been getting just a little bit hotter over time.

It idles at around 60-64C, and will go up to more than 80C during heavy load (gaming etc).

I've never replaced nor even removed a cooler before, and I'm very uncertain about where to start. I'm willing to spend around $40 at the most, preferably less. Any suggestions are very welcome :thup:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I don't now much about fans, and thus can't give any advice, but there is one thing I just have to say.

80C that is really hot for electronic device. The condensators usually can only take temperatures up to about 70C, so I think you get what I mean when I say that it is just luck that the card still works:)

LiVam

Reaction score
I don't now much about fans, and thus can't give any advice, but there is one thing I just have to say.

80C that is really hot for electronic device. The condensators usually can only take temperatures up to about 70C, so I think you get what I mean when I say that it is just luck that the card still works:)

Well, the card itself appears to be able to handle over 100C, but I can tell the machine is getting worried when it tops 70C. And when I'm playing a demanding game at 80C on the GPU you can really hear the fans going crazy.

Most components can survive temps of over 100C.
I would suggest getting some high-quality heat-sink paste, like Arctic Silver 5 or some other well researched product and reseating the videocards fan and such.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/344600-guide-cleaning-reseating-your-graphics-card.html
^something I found w/ a google search "reseat video card guide"

Survive; yes. But it seems to be an issue, and is definately slowing down the entire machine when reaching certain temperatures and making the fans go off - LOUD -.

As things are now, my machine is crashing occasionaly. Not due to spyware/viruses either (checked by reformatting with a clean version of both XP and Vista :D).

Things I know that aren't causing this:
RAM - Replaced but still crashes
HDD - Same as RAM

The machine will just freeze and loop whatever sound was played last. Example: I'm listening to a song, a guitar chord is played for 10 milliseconds, machine crashes and loops those 10 milliseconds over and over. Very annoying.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
My Asus 8600GT Magic 512MB DDR2 has 50C at idle and 55C at full load(Original fan). Thermaltake cooler is quite good as I know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.