Health Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A 42-year-old HIV patient with leukemia appears to have no detectable HIV in his blood and no symptoms after a stem cell transplant from a donor carrying a gene mutation that confers natural resistance to the virus that causes AIDS, according to a report published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"The patient is fine," said Dr. Gero Hutter of Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin in Germany. "Today, two years after his transplantation, he is still without any signs of HIV disease and without antiretroviral medication."

The case was first reported in November, and the new report is the first official publication of the case in a medical journal. Hutter and a team of medical professionals performed the stem cell transplant on the patient, an American living in Germany, to treat the man's leukemia, not the HIV itself.

However, the team deliberately chose a compatible donor who has a naturally occurring gene mutation that confers resistance to HIV. The mutation cripples a receptor known as CCR5, which is normally found on the surface of T cells, the type of immune system cells attacked by HIV.

Last edited:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Now they just have to try it on more HIV and perhaps even Aids patients and in a couple of years we might have a cure the damn thing:D

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Now they just have to try it on more HIV and perhaps even Aids patients and in a couple of years we might have a cure the damn thing:D

First people have to stop protesting about stem cell research as being inhuman (aborted fetuses).

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
First people have to stop protesting about stem cell research as being inhuman (aborted fetuses).

I got a solution for that:) Shot the bastards that protests against it as it obviously seem to be a way of protesting against progress:thdown:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a solution for that:) Shot the bastards that protests against it as it obviously seem to be a way of protesting against progress:thdown:

I agree, how dare people try to speak for what they think is right.

StemCellBlog

Reaction score
HIV and STEM CELLS

A few clarifications.
This article was posted here Feb 2009 - http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com...utation-and-a-potential-cure-for-aids-wsjcom/

Original article is from Wall Street Journal - Nov 2008 - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122602394113507555.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs=article

"Doctors have not been able to detect the virus in his blood for more than 600 days" takes us back to about Jan of 2007 so if he is still symptom free it is for over 3 years now.

There were no embryos involved in this. Any time you see the words "treated" or "improved" or "recovered" associated with the words "stem cells", assume it was from adult stem cells until proven otherwise. http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com/stem-cells-for-newbies/

In this case, there were 80 compatible blood donors living in Germany and on the 61st sample tested, they found one with the "retrovirus resistant" mutation from both parents.

I've been told the procedure cost about $150k.

also, http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com...s-tout-stem-cells-use-to-battle-hiv-the-body/
and http://repairstemcell.wordpress.com...hiv-part-3-major-advance-in-hiv-gene-therapy/

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I agree, how dare people try to speak for what they think is right.

When it comes to putting the human race behind in the means of advancing our tech tree so to speak then it does not matter much what people think:p

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
When it comes to putting the human race behind in the means of advancing our tech tree so to speak then it does not matter much what people think:p

sadly I think your right.. because if it does get shot down in say the U.S., then it won't be shot down in lets say.. china, and then china will have more advanced medical technologies then the U.S. - what a nightmare that would be.. the U.S. would never allow that to happen.. and thus will never allow a barrier to "progress"

GenDeath

Reaction score
sadly I think your right.. because if it does get shot down in say the U.S., then it won't be shot down in lets say.. china, and then china will have more advanced medical technologies then the U.S. - what a nightmare that would be.. the U.S. would never allow that to happen.. and thus will never allow a barrier to "progress"

How is it not progress to essentially cure the human race of stds?
or is it that you don't believe that people should live the best lives we can?

I personally see no problem with the aborted fetuses because its better than just tossing the dumb thing. If we can better the human race out of it why not?

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.