Mana Drain Per Attack

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
@Bogrim, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Cargo Hold is the ability that Burrows have to store units and enable their attack. But more importantly, adding this ability to a unit will disable its attack. You can modify Cargo Hold so that it cannot store any units, and therefore gain a way to disable a unit's attack without using any active abilities or buffs.

Monitor the unit's mana amount with a periodic trigger and when it's below the desired mana amount required for an attack, add Cargo Hold. When it's above the desired mana amount and has Cargo Hold, remove Cargo Hold.

After that, all you have to do is just drain mana whenever the unit attacks and you have your desired effect without any goofy auto-cast abilities. Really, every other solution posted in this thread is dumb compared to just using Cargo Hold.

jhnam95

Reaction score
Even so, my problem isn't preventing it from attacking. The problem is with draining the mana when the attack is fired. The spellbook idea seems interesting though.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Even so, my problem isn't preventing it from attacking. The problem is with draining the mana when the attack is fired. The spellbook idea seems interesting though.
If that's the method you really want to go with, then just use Orb of Lightning and make it cast Searing Arrows. But really, really, really, really go with the trigger method.

Panda

Reaction score
What about giving the unit an orblike attack (poison for example) and give it the duration of say 0.25 seconds. Then have a trigger running every 0.25 seconds checking if a unit has a buff and then remove mana?

A little abstract maybe but it could work IMO.

Light Alkmst

Reaction score
there's some systems that check whenever a unit takes damage, check for the buff, remove the buff, and run the effect, so the poison could last 0.0 seconds and won't be seen. takes a bit of prep though, and could cause overhead. if you want a periodic check for buffed units, multiple attacks won't stack within the interval

aside: could you just create an ability based off of feedback set to burn whatever amount you want, and burn 0 damage per mana burnt?

Light Alkmst

Reaction score
in that case, running a periodic check won't tell you which unit applied it. AFAIK damage detection system is necessary

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
would it work to add searing arrow to a spell book, turn it on, then disable the spellbook?

EDIT sabar seems to have already had this idea, have you tried it out yet? im interested to know if itworks

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
No, as you can't order a unit to use any ability inside a spell book. In fact, Searing Arrows is a bad ability to begin with as it won't work against magic immune units.

Just remove the mana on the "a unit is attacked" event, it's stupid to do anything else.

jhnam95

Reaction score
I won't have ANY magic immune units in the game anyway.
I don't like the "unit is attacked" or "unit begins casting an ability" events. They occur too early. GDD occurs too late D:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.