Gaming Meet Ouya: The $99 game [console] everyone is talking about

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
Hmm no? lol

Really? -_-

Anyway, it's not like there aren't any quality free-to-play games out there.
Currently I'm playing a lot of League of Legends, which some of you might have heard of *cough*.
It's free to play, but they get their money for payments from people who want to unlock goodies etc.
Same concept for a lot of other games.
That's one other way to realize the idea of free games on the Ouya. It's already a working business model.

And I don't think it's a stupid idea to offer a demo or some other way a user can play-test his product.
As I consumer I would like to see what I am buying.
Currently I'm doing that by reading reviews and watching videos of it, but it's still quite a bit different to play it myself. Especially with MMOs or RPGs it's useful, and it shouldn't be very hard to release a working demo for such a game.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I just went for some talk about indie devs. earnin' cash from games that they make.
From the most money-making to the least:
Subscriptions
Paid Items/Powerups (What do you call those?)
Freemium (Get demo, pay monneh to unlock full version)
Paid Downloads (Buy to download from app. store/buy from physical store)
Ads.

Pretty sure I forgot a few things in the list but the order is pretty much there, I think..

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Really? -_-
And I don't think it's a stupid idea to offer a demo or some other way a user can play-test his product.
Yes, Really! Anyway
Nothing's wrong with demo, Just as long as, they don't say it's free game or whatever. Better they say " A demo to test it" Something like that.

camelCase

Reaction score
They never said it was a free game, fool!

There is only one condition developers must meet: at least some of the gameplay they offer has to be free.
"We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like 'League of Legends,' 'Team Fortress 2,' 'Triple Town,' and many others," explains the Ouya Kickstarter page. "Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe."

SOME gameplay offered has to be free.
ONE option for implementing SOME-FREE-GAMEPLAY is a FREE DEMO.

Jesus Christ, your selective reading gets annoying at times.

FireCat

Reaction score
It's not Just about the article it's overall
Just look at this

Only the Best Free Games!
Free games might be everywhere these days, Most of our free games are sold at full price . In order to bring you these high quality games
It's all Just a bunch of lies "almost every single time" Isn't this hilarious.............. ?

It's another matter If they Just say demo Or try it out .Hmm

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Currently I'm doing that by reading reviews and watching videos of it, but it's still quite a bit different to play it myself. Especially with MMOs or RPGs it's useful, and it shouldn't be very hard to release a working demo for such a game.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to release demos, we're doing that for our projects. I'm saying the requirement for publishing. I'm not trying to bash it in any way, in comparison to the other consoles it's extremely trivial and at most a very mild barrier even in the more complex games like RPG's where it's hard to release a demo. I just don't see the point of their even having it there.

camelCase

Reaction score
Lol, what website did you get that quote from, Mr FC?
Googling that brings me to: http://www.gamehouse.com/free-games
Which is, in no way, related to Ouya.

From that site:
Free games might be everywhere these days, but great free games are hard to come by. That's why GameHouse is here!
At GameHouse, we screen all of our free games and only bring you the best we can find. With our eye on quality we have some of the best games for you to play 100% free! Most of our free games are sold at full price on other web sites. In order to bring you these high quality games GameHouse finds sponsors for all of our free download games.

Seriously, your incessant selective reading is atrocious.
Comparing it to your quote:
Free games might be everywhere these days, Most of our free games are sold at full price . In order to bring you these high quality games

Pretty damn close match; down to the very letter; that "M" from the word "Most" in your quote is capitalized where it should not be in a sentence. Way to fabricate a phail-quote.

FireCat

Reaction score
^ Eh, whatever do you wanna a hug?

Lol, what website did you get that quote.
It doesn't matter where it come from, It was Just a """""""Example"""""""" Well, I could give MOAR And MOAR Maybe thousand if you wish.

Seriously, It's like "I give you free bacon but you need to pay for it."

s3rius

Reaction score
^ Eh, whatever do you wanna a hug?

It doesn't matter where it come from, It was Just a """""""Example"""""""" Well, I could give MOAR And MOAR Maybe thousand if you wish.

Seriously, It's like "I give you free bacon but you need to pay for it."
A single quote which is not out of context and not pieced together as you like would do a lot more good.
Honestly look at what you were quoting! You changed the entire meaning of the text passage by removing parts of the sentences and gave it to us!

One can certainly argue about what "free" means, and how "free" the Ouya and it's products are. It certainly doesn't mean "you never have to pay money for anything" because that doesn't even work in Communist Russia.

FireCat

Reaction score
Free games might be everywhere these days, but great free games are hard to come by. That's why GameHouse is here! At GameHouse, we screen all of our free games and only bring you the best we can find. With our eye on quality we have some of the best games for you to play 100% free! Most of our free games are sold at full price on other web sites. In order to bring you these high quality games GameHouse finds sponsors for all of our free download games. With a free full version download game available daily you're sure to find dozens of games you can enjoy every month.
Furthermore, members of the GameHouse Club get today's free game free a day early along with the other great benefits of being a GameHouse Club member. Find a thrilling free action game or how about testing your mettle at a free Sudoku or free word game . Regardless of the type of games you enjoy you are sure to find a game at GameHouse you won't be able to put down. Since they're free you might as well download them all. Start playing the best free games today at GameHouse - and be sure to come back daily to get all the free game thrills you can handle
There's hell a lot of free games doesn't it? Are you happy now? And like I said, it was a """""""Example"""""""" And do you want MOAR?

s3rius

Reaction score
So why not directly quote like that?

I think you can see how much of a different it is saying:
Most of our free games are sold at full price .
or
Most of our free games are sold at full price on other web sites.

FireCat

Reaction score
Well, I guess you're right about that. But it's not Just on other websites.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
I haven't gone too deep and too far but to me it still seems like indie heaven! =D and those games are usually high quality, unique and a lot of fun! Even tho some most lack hundreds of hours of gameplay.

And they're cheap! :)

So why not directly quote like that?

I think you can see how much of a different it is saying:

or
You picky bastards! =d

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They are charging you 99 bucks for what is essentially a phone that is designed for a TV. They are putting some restrictions on the Apps that are being developed for it and creating a dev kit. All good kind of stuff but nothing that is going to change the landscape of the consoles but might make some decent money bringing phone tech to people who might like to play games off of a battery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.